digitalmars.D - Too late for boolean ?

reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Is it too late to hope for D to get a *real* boolean type ?

That is, not the integer-compatible bit one that is "bool";
but a special-purpose "boolean" type, like the one Java has.

I was hoping for the following code snippets to be illegal:

if (pointer)
if (a = b) // just a typo!
if (c = readchar())
i = true + 1;

Instead they could be replaced by the equivalent new code:

if (pointer != null)
if (a == b) // what was meant!
if ((c = readchar()) != 0)
i = (true ? 1 : 0) + 1;

It seems like "true" and "false" has already been defined
as "bit", which I think is unfortunate. They should have
been "boolean". Better bit names would be "on" and "off".

Can it be added/changed, or are we stuck with C9X/C++ bool?

--anders

PS.
Aliasing "bit" to represent "bool" is perfectly fair.
It's even *better* than what my current GCC 3.4 does,
where sizeof(bool) == 4 ! (I'm guessing it uses "int")

Just that I had hoped for something that was better...
(since C source code compatibility is not an issue ?)
Or did Walter actively CHOOSE the old C style, for D ?
Oct 06 2004
next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Anders F Bj=F6rklund schrieb:
 Is it too late to hope for D to get a *real* boolean type ?
 I was hoping for the following code snippets to be illegal:
=20
 if (pointer)
Why should that be illegal? I find it very elegant at many cases. Many=20 others also do.
 if (a =3D b) // just a typo!
Assignment in if statement is made illegal and will be rejected by the=20 compiler.
 Instead they could be replaced by the equivalent new code:
 i =3D (true ? 1 : 0) + 1;
I don't see a reason why this here should be done.
 Can it be added/changed, or are we stuck with C9X/C++ bool?
In principle, it is not like anything couldn't be changed by a technical = reason, we're not past 1.0 yet. However, such questions have already=20 been discussed dozens, dozens of times with no consensus. Your message=20 doesn't contribute much to the discussion because it fails to provide=20 any argument as to why we should do that. The common typo you show is=20 detected by the compiler. You didn't even check the code you post. -eye
Oct 06 2004
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:

 Why should that be illegal? I find it very elegant at many cases. Many
 others also do.
Because the type of variable "pointer" is not a boolean ? This was after adding a new boolean core type to the language, and then requiring that if(), while() etc. get boolean params.
 if (a = b) // just a typo!
Assignment in if statement is made illegal and will be rejected by the compiler.
Great! (gcc catches it too, at least it issues a warning with -Wall: "warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value")
 i = (true ? 1 : 0) + 1;
I don't see a reason why this here should be done.
Again, because "boolean" and "int" are different types ? (pros and cons have been discussed before, won't reiterate)
 i = true + 1;
In C9X and C++, they both assign a value 2 to the i variable.
 In principle, it is not like anything couldn't be changed by a technical
 reason, we're not past 1.0 yet. However, such questions have already
 been discussed dozens, dozens of times with no consensus. Your message
 doesn't contribute much to the discussion because it fails to provide
 any argument as to why we should do that. The common typo you show is
 detected by the compiler. You didn't even check the code you post.
I compiled the code now, and it did say: '=' does not give a boolean result I just wanted to point out that C(9X) and C++ chose one solution, C side, just wanted to know if that was by choice or by accident ? If there are no plans to add such a non-arithmetic type to D, then I'm perfectly fine with the current ones: bit, 1 and 0 - and their aliases: bool, true and false. I'm an old C user too. I just thought that like strings and garbage collection, "boolean" was a nice addition to C by Java, and hoped it would end up in D too... But if C and C++ have gotten along without it, so could D, I guess ? Just didn't see any strong statements that D would not ever add one... Sorry for beating the poor old horse, --anders
Oct 06 2004
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:ck1joc$4bl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I just wanted to point out that C(9X) and C++ chose one solution,

 C side, just wanted to know if that was by choice or by accident ?
It's by choice. (Though many disagree with that choice.)
Oct 11 2004
Walter wrote:

I just wanted to point out that C(9X) and C++ chose one solution,

C side, just wanted to know if that was by choice or by accident ?
It's by choice. (Though many disagree with that choice.)
It's just seem like a BACKWARD choice, considering what others did ? Among all the other modernizations like: obsoleting pointers, changing header files into modules, garbage collected memory, removing the need to sometimes use "->" instead of just "."; we find an ancient C usage like "no boolean" ? Not even the C++ "bool". I think it is great that we have moved forward to C99 and introduced the alias "bool" for the preferred integer type for storing booleans. Even better would be if bool became a reserved and built-in *keyword* bool as a true/false-only type, that is *not* interchangable with int. Even if some old C/C++ users hate this, it seems to be popular with --anders PS. I happen to like C, as I grew up on it. Just thought D was modern.
Oct 11 2004
next sibling parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:

 Walter wrote:

I just wanted to point out that C(9X) and C++ chose one solution,

C side, just wanted to know if that was by choice or by accident ?
It's by choice. (Though many disagree with that choice.)
It's just seem like a BACKWARD choice, considering what others did ?
Seems like a fine choice to me. I have no problem with it.

 Among all the other modernizations like: obsoleting pointers,
 changing header files into modules, garbage collected memory,
 removing the need to sometimes use "->" instead of just ".";

 we find an ancient C usage like "no boolean" ? Not even the C++ "bool".
The C++ bool type and the D bit type are very similiar. Are you saying D doesn't have the equivalent to C++'s bool? Or are you saying that C++'s bool is not a true boolean type?

 I think it is great that we have moved forward to C99 and introduced
 the alias "bool" for the preferred integer type for storing booleans.
 Even better would be if bool became a reserved and built-in *keyword*

 bool as a true/false-only type, that is *not* interchangable with int.
I think I've heard this before... hmm... let me search the newsgroup... Seriously, though, I'm pretty shocked people consider bit/bool such a big deal. I'm more concerned about the state of D's libraries and tools.

I can live with it too, if nothing else just to stop this "war" ! I know that "Arcane Jill" came to the same conclusion earlier: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/2973
we find an ancient C usage like "no boolean" ? Not even the C++ "bool".
The C++ bool type and the D bit type are very similiar. Are you saying D doesn't have the equivalent to C++'s bool? Or are you saying that C++'s bool is not a true boolean type?
C++ has a bool type which can be implicitly converted to integer. D has an integer type called "bit". There is a difference here... (even if Walter likes to think that it's all aspects of the Tao) The current state in D is more similar to C99, which has <stdbool.h> It defines "bool" as a macro for _Bool (similar to D's choice of bit), and also defines the constants "true" and "false" as the values 1 and 0. I just wanted a new D keyword "bool", which would be *equal* to bit. (preferrably "bit" should only accept 0/1 and "bool" only false/true, but since they are implicitly converted it doesn't make a difference) * So I am saying that D does not (yet?) have the equivalent of C++ bool. and have all conditionals *require* this type or throw a "type error". But that new feature can wait for "D 2.0", since it's so controversial. One could even consider a half-way "bool" type that is not *implicitly* converted, but still can be explicitly converted by the use of a cast ? Like most compromises, that "mule" of a bool is neither horse or donkey. * So I am also definitely saying that C++'s bool is not a true boolean. I have no issue whatsoever with the choice of "bit" to represent a bool, I think it makes much more sense than using "char" or "int" like C does. But if true and false are D keywords, then I think bool should be too ? (Or go back to the dark ages of C99 and remove keywords true and false too: "alias bit bool; const bit true = 1; const bit false = 0;". Horror) That's my main point: the current selection of keywords is inconsistent! My rather simple Request For Enhancement was a new D keyword: "bool". (AND to make true and false have this type, which is synonym to bit) NOT to make this type-safe or anything, as that is a *separate* RFE... If that is rejected, I suggest introducing a new stdbool.d like above. (i.e. remove keywords true and false, and just have bits: like 0 and 1) I would vastly prefer the first, but the second is better than current. * Having a C++ "bool" type seems like a good COMPROMISE for D to take ?
 Seriously, though, I'm pretty shocked people consider bit/bool such a big
 deal. I'm more concerned about the state of D's libraries and tools.
People are funny that way. The sad part is that it is just hindering D, I actually think more people are scared off by this war itself, than by D having or not having a boolean type ? Arguments are just so tiring... Just hoped "we" could move further on the evolutionary scale before 1.0: ^ D is here Or, wait, Boolean Darwinism is just another religion too - right ? :-P --anders PS. "The following sentence is true. The preceding sentence is false." -- from Zen and the Art of Boolean
Oct 12 2004
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:ckgbj4$bjg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ben Hinkle wrote:

It's just seem like a BACKWARD choice, considering what others did ?
Seems like a fine choice to me. I have no problem with it.
I can live with it too, if nothing else just to stop this "war" ! I know that "Arcane Jill" came to the same conclusion earlier: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/2973
then why the shouting? (typing BACKWARD in all caps is the way one "shouts" in newsgroups and email)
we find an ancient C usage like "no boolean" ? Not even the C++ "bool".
The C++ bool type and the D bit type are very similiar. Are you saying D doesn't have the equivalent to C++'s bool? Or are you saying that C++'s bool is not a true boolean type?
C++ has a bool type which can be implicitly converted to integer. D has an integer type called "bit". There is a difference here... (even if Walter likes to think that it's all aspects of the Tao)
You say "tom-a-to". I say "tom-ah-to". (or maybe I should say "nuclear" and "nucular"). The differences are minor IMO.
 The current state in D is more similar to C99, which has <stdbool.h>
 It defines "bool" as a macro for _Bool (similar to D's choice of bit),
 and also defines the constants "true" and "false" as the values 1 and 0.

 I just wanted a new D keyword "bool", which would be *equal* to bit.
 (preferrably "bit" should only accept 0/1 and "bool" only false/true,
 but since they are implicitly converted it doesn't make a difference)

 * So I am saying that D does not (yet?) have the equivalent of C++ bool.
Sure it doesn't have the exact same C++ semantics but then C++ doesn't have the D data type called "bit".

 and have all conditionals *require* this type or throw a "type error".
 But that new feature can wait for "D 2.0", since it's so controversial.
though the more time passes the less likely bool will change.
 One could even consider a half-way "bool" type that is not *implicitly*
 converted, but still can be explicitly converted by the use of a cast ?
 Like most compromises, that "mule" of a bool is neither horse or donkey.

 * So I am also definitely saying that C++'s bool is not a true boolean.
ok.
 I have no issue whatsoever with the choice of "bit" to represent a bool,
 I think it makes much more sense than using "char" or "int" like C does.
 But if true and false are D keywords, then I think bool should be too ?
 (Or go back to the dark ages of C99 and remove keywords true and false
 too: "alias bit bool; const bit true = 1; const bit false = 0;". Horror)
 That's my main point: the current selection of keywords is inconsistent!
Consistency sounds like a good thing. I can buy the argument that either bool should be a keyword or true/false should not. And actually I'd lean towards defining true/false in object.d right next to the bool alias as you suggest. If someone really really really wants to redefine bool they should be able to redefine true and false.
 My rather simple Request For Enhancement was a new D keyword: "bool".
 (AND to make true and false have this type, which is synonym to bit)
 NOT to make this type-safe or anything, as that is a *separate* RFE...
 If that is rejected, I suggest introducing a new stdbool.d like above.
 (i.e. remove keywords true and false, and just have bits: like 0 and 1)
 I would vastly prefer the first, but the second is better than current.

 * Having a C++ "bool" type seems like a good COMPROMISE for D to take ?

ok
 Seriously, though, I'm pretty shocked people consider bit/bool such a
big
 deal. I'm more concerned about the state of D's libraries and tools.
People are funny that way. The sad part is that it is just hindering D,
I doubt bit/bool is hindering D.
 I actually think more people are scared off by this war itself, than by
 D having or not having a boolean type ? Arguments are just so tiring...
yup.
 Just hoped "we" could move further on the evolutionary scale before 1.0:

                              ^

Ben Hinkle wrote:

It's just seem like a BACKWARD choice, considering what others did ?
I can live with it too, if nothing else just to stop this "war" !
then why the shouting? (typing BACKWARD in all caps is the way one "shouts" in newsgroups and email)
I know, I know. Sorry about that... Feel better now.
 Consistency sounds like a good thing. I can buy the argument that either
 bool should be a keyword or true/false should not. And actually I'd lean
 towards defining true/false in object.d right next to the bool alias as you
 suggest. If someone really really really wants to redefine bool they should
 be able to redefine true and false.
Either/or, I think ? A good name for the module would be stdbool.d, since that would make it similar to stdint.d ? module std.stdbool; alias bit bool; const bool true = 1; const bool false = 0; But I would rather have a "bool" keyword like C++. Even if it is still just an alias for the bit type.
* Having a C++ "bool" type seems like a good COMPROMISE for D to take ?

Oops, shouted again. Time for some therapy, perhaps ? --anders
Oct 12 2004
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <ckgt5r$sp4$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
But I would rather have a "bool" keyword like C++.
Even if it is still just an alias for the bit type.
The way I see it, there are two options for D. Either we stick with packed bit values in arrays and D stays pretty much the way it is (maybe even toss the "bool" alias... renaming true/false to on/off has merit but I think would be unnecessarily confusing), or we do away with packed bit values and change the "bit" keyword to "bool." I don't feel that middle ground is appropriate as bool and bit aren't strictly the same thing--one has a physical component while the other is entirely logical. I avoid using "bool" in my D code for exactly this reason--I feel it's misleading. All ideologies aside, I do think that "bit" is consistent with the trend towards fixed-size types in D. My only personal concern is with packed bit behavior, but I haven't made up my mind whether I like it or not. Are the slicing requirements acceptable? Should any attempt be made to enable slicing at all? What about addressing? These are all issues that come up with vector<bool> in C++, but I've found that overload to be more convenient than problematic. Still, I find myself wanting to be able to do things like this: bit[8] a, b; a[0] = 1; b[0] = 1; bit[] c = a + b; What should the result be: an array with all bits zero, or an array with c[1] == 1? In a sense I would expect the latter result, though this would be inconsistent with how vector operations would likely behave for other types, and it seems an unreasonable expectation to put on the compiler. Plus, the effect can already be achieved this way: byte c = cast(byte)*&a[0] + cast(byte)*&b[0]; I really can't decide whether this unique storage property of bit values will turn out to be more of a help or a hindrance as time goes on. It's not something that's ever bothered me personally, either in D or in C++, but I still haven't decided how I feel about this from an idealistic perspective. Sean
Oct 12 2004
prev sibling parent reply Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 It's by choice. (Though many disagree with that choice.)
... bool as a true/false-only type, that is *not* interchangable with int. Even if some old C/C++ users hate this, it seems to be popular with --anders PS. I happen to like C, as I grew up on it. Just thought D was modern.
Being "modern", as in stylish, isn't an intrinsic good. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. This time I think it would have been, but it's not my choice. OTOH, it's certainly not too late. You can easily define a new abstract class with two singleton subclasses, each instantiated with a global and give them appropriate mnemonic names (e.g., True and False). This won't be a bit wide, but it's easy enough to define a mapping from bit onto (e.g.) Boolean. The ease with which this could be done is a clear indication that it's not too late, for anyone who cares enough. The firmness of Walter's objections indicates that it won't be a part of the standard language no matter how well you do it. OK. Bit arrays are much more useful than booleans. I'm quite happy to use bit for boolean values. (And when I do get around to writing my own logic class it will have multiple values...probably around 250 of them, excluding error states.)
Oct 14 2004
Charles Hixson wrote:

 Being "modern", as in stylish, isn't an intrinsic good.  Sometimes it
 is, sometimes it isn't.  This time I think it would have been, but it's
 not my choice.
Actually I meant modern as in "high-level". integers-as-bools is so asm?
 OTOH, it's certainly not too late.  You can easily define a new abstract
 class with two singleton subclasses, each instantiated with a global and
 give them appropriate mnemonic names (e.g., True and False).  This won't
 be a bit wide, but it's easy enough to define a mapping from bit onto
 (e.g.) Boolean.
That wouldn't help much, would it ? Much happier with the "bool" alias, even if it is not type-safe and had some problems with "out" params... I like having my native classes around, without *having* to use Objects.
 OK.  Bit arrays are much more useful than booleans.  I'm quite happy to
 use bit for boolean values.  (And when I do get around to writing my own
 logic class it will have multiple values...probably around 250 of them,
 excluding error states.)
I just fail to see the combining logic behind these two statements: (found on the D overview http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html)
 Features To Drop

    Bit fields are a complex, inefficient feature rarely used.
and
 Bit type
   The fundamental data type is the bit, and D has a bit data type.
   This is most useful in creating arrays of bits:
 	bit[] foo;
Aren't such arrays mostly used precisely to create such bit fields ? Or do such arrays have other uses, like curing bit-operator allergies ? Last time I messed around with 1-bit pixel maps, I just used macros: #define BITSET(p,n) (p)[n >> 3] |= 0x80U >> (n & 7) #define BITCLR(p,n) (p)[n >> 3] &= ~(0x80U >> (n & 7)) #define BITTST(p,n) (((p)[n >> 3] & (0x80U >> (n & 7))) != 0) Maybe it should add: "bits are also useful for emulating booleans" ? ;-) --anders
Oct 14 2004
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Charles Hixson wrote:

That wouldn't help much, would it ? Much happier with the "bool" alias, even if it is not type-safe and had some problems with "out" params...
I don't see why it wouldn't help. I know of languages which have that singleton classes as their preferred implementation of Bool (under some name or other). You can to the entire logic on that basis. (Since everything False is the same False object, and everything True is the same True object.) You would probably need a bit of syntax around things, though, as the built-in logic tests don't compare the correct way on these objects. You could do it in several different ways, the easiest is to have a val property such that it returns the expected bit value, then one could say if (test.val) {...

 I like having my native classes around, without *having* to use Objects.
But the native classes are implemented as Objects anyway, so I don't understand this. If you mean primitive types...well, ok. But those aren't classes any more than they are in C.

 OK.  Bit arrays are much more useful than booleans.  I'm quite happy
 to use bit for boolean values.  (And when I do get around to writing
 my own logic class it will have multiple values...probably around 250
 of them, excluding error states.)
I just fail to see the combining logic behind these two statements: (found on the D overview http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html)
 Features To Drop

    Bit fields are a complex, inefficient feature rarely used.
and
 Bit type
   The fundamental data type is the bit, and D has a bit data type.
   This is most useful in creating arrays of bits:
     bit[] foo;
That bothers me, too. I don't have an answer to the implied question. But here he's talking about bit arrays of arbitrary lenght, I hope, so there will probably continue to be bit arrays. I hope of arbitrary length. (The statement could mean that isolated bit variables won't be packed in a structure. I hope.)

 Aren't such arrays mostly used precisely to create such bit fields ?
Actually, I usually use bit arrays as arrays of logical values. I don't know how others use them, but I suspect it depends on what they are doing.

parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Charles Hixson wrote:

 I like having my native classes around, without *having* to use Objects.
But the native classes are implemented as Objects anyway, so I don't understand this. If you mean primitive types...well, ok. But those aren't classes any more than they are in C.
I meant primitive types, sorry. I love that bool and string are not full-blown objects but built-in. And would like to keep it that way. There could be full "Boolean" and "String" classes too.. Like in Java ? int i = 1; Integer o = i; // boxing int j = cast(int) o; // unboxing (Google said: http://www.dotnetextreme.com/articles/cSharpBoxing.asp, also http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15) D already has the same (truly awesome!) capability with properties: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/cpptod.html#properties
 That bothers me, too.  I don't have an answer to the implied question.
 But here he's talking about bit arrays of arbitrary lenght, I hope, so
 there will probably continue to be bit arrays.  I hope of arbitrary
 length.  (The statement could mean that isolated bit variables won't be
 packed in a structure.  I hope.)
I can see that bit[] is a useful language construct, just as char[] is. Just don't think that it should have boolean semantics, but be integers? They are equally pesky to map to bytes, since a bit is 0.125 bytes wide and a char is 1, 2, 3, or 4 bytes wide depending on "how Unicode" it is. As I understand it, an array is stored as a length / byte pointer duple? But I haven't verified this in DMD source code, when it comes to bit[].
 Actually, I usually use bit arrays as arrays of logical values.  I don't
 know how others use them, but I suspect it depends on what they are doing.
Sounds like bool[] would be more natural for storing a bunch of booleans, just like bit[] could be useful for storing bitmaps ? --anders
Oct 15 2004
prev sibling parent reply Rex Couture <Rex_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ckmtds$am9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles Hixson says...
...You can easily define a new
abstract class with two singleton subclasses, each instantiated with
a global and give them appropriate mnemonic names (e.g., True and
False).  This won't be a bit wide, but it's easy enough to define a
mapping from bit onto (e.g.) Boolean.
All this is completely missing the valid points brought up by Anders Bjoerklund, that for type safety, all conditional statements should require a boolean expression. As far as I know, the only way to attain type safety is to implement it as part of the language definition. Anders pointed out 4 types of conditional statements that he hoped would be illegal for type-safety reasons. Ilya Minkov pointed out that one of these statements was illegal not for type reasons, but because assignment was forbidden. That leaves three. In my message of Oct. 7 I gave examples of errors that are difficult for a programmer to spot, but trivial for a compiler. On Oct. 11 I pointed out that the meaning of a conditional statement depends greatly on the data type, whereas this is not true if a boolean expression is required. I would be happy to be proven wrong on these points, but so far no one has attempted a rebuttal. I suppose the discussion centered on the libraries is an attempt to make the best of the situation without changing the language. But has Walter not already done that? It seems to me that his bool type is about as good as it can be for a type implemented in a library. It's just that I don't see how libraries can possibly achieve type safety. I cannot understand any reason for defining a basic type in a library. In the case of C++, I think it was done as a half-hearted measure because once the language was set in stone, there was no good way to do it. D is about to be set in stone, if it has not been already. As far as I know, no one has pointed out a single disadvantage to type checking conditional statements, and we certainly know of several major disadvantages. D Pascal-family languages, and probably quite a few others. Some view these messages as a war. I would not continue with this message if I were convinced the points were either understood, except by a few, or refuted. I'm not sure the point has gotten across. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.
Oct 15 2004
next sibling parent reply Rex Couture <Rex_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm sorry, when I wrote the previous message I had not noticed the thread
entitled "Bits again.  A proposal."  I notice that my remarks are somewhat
parallel to some of the comments in the other thread.

Still, somehow, the conversations always seem to come back to arguments about
bits used as booleans.  Here's an oddity in the computer world:  FORTRAN has at
least two type-compatible boolean types -- 1 byte and 4 bytes.  Maybe 8 bytes
too--I forget.  I don't think it matters much how booleans are defined, as long
as they are part of the language and they are called "boolean", "logical", or
"bool".
Oct 15 2004
Rex Couture wrote:

 Still, somehow, the conversations always seem to come back to arguments about
 bits used as booleans.  Here's an oddity in the computer world:  FORTRAN has at
 least two type-compatible boolean types -- 1 byte and 4 bytes.  Maybe 8 bytes
 too--I forget.  I don't think it matters much how booleans are defined, as long
 as they are part of the language and they are called "boolean", "logical", or
 "bool".
For reasons of naming compatibility with C99 and C++, I strongly suggest using the name "bool" for the type. (matches "int" for integer, and "char" for character) This (alias) is already in object.d, so the name "bool" should be settled... The underlying type, however, is broken. --anders
Oct 15 2004
prev sibling parent reply larrycowan <larrycowan_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ckor2s$2586$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Rex Couture says...
[...]
Can anyone refer us back to something by Walter on this issue with meat in it? i.e., not just "that's the way it is", or "I'm carrying forward this from C".
Oct 15 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
larrycowan wrote:
[...]

Walter doesn't seem to see any big problems with the bit situation, so he hasn't said much on the issue. A lot of people have said a lot of things on the issue, but I haven't seen any consensus develop. In any case, I've found some of Walter's best posts on bit vs. bool and wiki-ized them: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BooleanNotEquBit/PostsByWalter Enjoy! -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Oct 15 2004
next sibling parent Rex Couture <Rex_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ckpkqj$2sa3$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
In any case, I've found some of Walter's best posts on bit vs. bool and
wiki-ized them:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BooleanNotEquBit/PostsByWalter
Thanks for collecting those messages. I think most of us have read them before. Unfortunately, I don't see that they address any of the issues we are discussing.
Oct 15 2004
larrycowan wrote:
 In article <ckor2s$2586$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Rex Couture says...

In article <ckmtds$am9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles Hixson says...
Can anyone refer us back to something by Walter on this issue with meat in it? i.e., not just "that's the way it is", or "I'm carrying forward this from C".
Walter doesn't seem to see any big problems with the bit situation, so he hasn't said much on the issue. A lot of people have said a lot of things on the issue, but I haven't seen any consensus develop. In any case, I've found some of Walter's best posts on bit vs. bool and wiki-ized them: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BooleanNotEquBit/PostsByWalter Enjoy! -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Thanks. So we have bools as 0:!0, and 0:1 bit arrays to store them but " '='does not give a boolean result " and he's hanging tight on all fronts - some I would side with and some not, but it is not going to move. We can get onto more productive discussions. The wiki4d is a great place to have faq stuff and this needed to be there. Again, thanks.
Oct 15 2004
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Is it too late to hope for D to get a *real* boolean type ?
 I was hoping for the following code snippets to be illegal:

 if (pointer)
Why should that be illegal? I find it very elegant at many cases. Many others also do.
This syntax is just a shorthand for 'if (pointer != null)', but in conceptual terms the 'if' statement syntax should be more like ... IFSTMT :: 'if' '(' boolean_expression ')' statement_block [ 'else' statement_block ] In other words, the expression within the parenthesis should result in a boolean data value. I take the following to be true even if C/C++/D et al disagree somewhat: ** Pointers are not booleans. ** Numbers are not booleans. ** Booleans are not numbers.
 if (a = b) // just a typo!
Assignment in if statement is made illegal and will be rejected by the compiler.
It is odd maybe, that D decides to make this 'concession' but leaves other potential bug makers in place (eg fallthru in switch)
 Instead they could be replaced by the equivalent new code:
 i = (true ? 1 : 0) + 1;
I don't see a reason why this here should be done.
Simple, booleans are not numbers so therefore one cannot do arithmetic on them. What do three truths and a falsehood add up to? It makes no sense does it? What one needs to do is to say, if we substitute each truth with 1 and each falsehood with 0, then 3*T + F = 3. The syntax above makes it clear to the reader of the code that such an arbitary substitution is being carried out. I say 'arbitary' because some systems believe that a truth should be substituted by -1.
 Can it be added/changed, or are we stuck with C9X/C++ bool?
In principle, it is not like anything couldn't be changed by a technical reason, we're not past 1.0 yet. However, such questions have already been discussed dozens, dozens of times with no consensus. Your message doesn't contribute much to the discussion because it fails to provide any argument as to why we should do that. The common typo you show is detected by the compiler. You didn't even check the code you post. -eye
I hope I've help to provide an "argument as to why we should do that". -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 7/10/2004 9:48:43 AM
Oct 06 2004
Derek Parnell wrote:
 I take the following to be true even if C/C++/D et al disagree somewhat:
  ** Pointers are not booleans.
  ** Numbers are not booleans.
  ** Booleans are not numbers.
Actually, they all agree on: "there is no boolean" "true" is a number, with the value 1. "false" is a number, with the value 0. "equals true" is the same as "is not zero" "equals false" is the same as "equals zero". And the recommended int type for storing is "bool". --andeers
Oct 07 2004
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I take the following to be true even if C/C++/D et al disagree somewhat:
  ** Pointers are not booleans.
  ** Numbers are not booleans.
  ** Booleans are not numbers.
Actually, they all agree on: "there is no boolean" "true" is a number, with the value 1. "false" is a number, with the value 0. "equals true" is the same as "is not zero" "equals false" is the same as "equals zero". And the recommended int type for storing is "bool".
I assume your comments above are saying "This is how C sees it..." rather than "This is how it is in the world...", because truth is *not* 1 and falsehood is *not* 0. The designers of C decided to use 1 to represent truth and 0 to represent falsehood. Actually, as you say above, depending on circumstances any non-zero number can be used to represent truth in a C program. But that does not make Truth and Falsehood to be intrinsically numeric. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 8/10/2004 9:14:22 AM
Oct 07 2004
Derek Parnell wrote:
I take the following to be true even if C/C++/D et al disagree somewhat:
Actually, they all agree on: "there is no boolean"
I assume your comments above are saying "This is how C sees it..." rather than "This is how it is in the world...", because truth is *not* 1 and falsehood is *not* 0. The designers of C decided to use 1 to represent truth and 0 to represent falsehood. Actually, as you say above, depending on circumstances any non-zero number can be used to represent truth in a C program. But that does not make Truth and Falsehood to be intrinsically numeric.
I was just talking about those three languages: C(9X), C++, and now D. In all three of those, "true" is a constant number 1 and "false" is a 0 In other languages, such as Forth, true is defined as -1 (=all bits on) Size of "bool" varies, but usually: 1 bit,8 bits (char),or 32 bits (int) I was *all for* introducing a proper boolean class, non-arithmethic... And then make all conditionals require and comparisons return this type. Just like the way that it works in Java, see that language for examples. But it seems like D prefers to handle logic "numerically", like C/C++ ? In D, you use the inttype "bit" and the values "1" and "0" for booleans. Or use their aliases: "bool", "true", "false" but that's just aesthetic Another way of putting it: Q. Too late for boolean ? A. Yes. --anders
Oct 07 2004