www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [100% OT]

reply BCS <none anon.com> writes:
OK, only 98%

http://www.hulu.com/initial-d

-- 
... <IXOYE><
Jul 15 2010
next sibling parent reply "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> writes:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:20:59 -0400, BCS <none anon.com> wrote:

 OK, only 98%

 http://www.hulu.com/initial-d

:) Though it seams to be a little incomplete. The company's website (Initial D was re-licensed by Funimation, has several more episodes) Season 1 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=41 Season 2 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=321 (Currently being re-dubbed/subbed, subs 1-4 are available) Season 4 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=302
Jul 16 2010
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> wrote in message 
news:op.vfxvndtn26stm6 sandford...
 On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:20:59 -0400, BCS <none anon.com> wrote:

 OK, only 98%

 http://www.hulu.com/initial-d

:) Though it seams to be a little incomplete. The company's website (Initial D was re-licensed by Funimation, has several more episodes) Season 1 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=41 Season 2 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=321 (Currently being re-dubbed/subbed, subs 1-4 are available) Season 4 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=302

I'm only familiar with Funimation for their treatment of Dragonball, DBZ and DBGT (and Kai), and as I recall from way back then, they had a habit of cutting a lot out and changing all the music (and the music-changing habit seems to have been retained by Kai, at least partially). Do they do that with their other shows, too, or was that just a dragonball thing?
Jul 16 2010
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:mailman.365.1279305436.24349.digitalmars-d puremagic.com...
 On Friday, July 16, 2010 11:02:29 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 I'm only familiar with Funimation for their treatment of Dragonball, DBZ
 and DBGT (and Kai), and as I recall from way back then, they had a habit
 of cutting a lot out and changing all the music (and the music-changing
 habit seems to have been retained by Kai, at least partially). Do they do
 that with their other shows, too, or was that just a dragonball thing?

At this point, they pretty much never cut anything (and you can get uncut DBZ and the like now too).

I've heard that their "uncut" DBZ series did still cut some things. Or did they do another uncut? (Not that it really matters. As much as I used to love DBZ, I got tired of it a long time ago.)
 They did do more editing in the past, but I think that it's been several 
 years
 since they really did that on anything. They've come a long way since they 
 did
 DBZ.

That's good to hear. The whole anime/manga localization industry (at least English-localization anyway) seems to have really gotten a lot better over the years. "Flipped" left-to-right mangas are an ancient relic, and I find myself going for anime subs less and less: for instance, the English dubbing on Death Note was amazingly good. I tired listening to the japanese audio on that, and actually rather disliked it by comparison.
Jul 16 2010
parent "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> wrote in message 
news:op.vfy2m9fs26stm6 sandford...
 For the record, all the cuts you are talking about were done by 4kids, 
 which had the broadcast rights to several popular shows, none of which 
 survived intact. Funimation got the DVD distribution rights and later the 
 rights to the uncut version and went back re-dubbed everything. Also, the 
 DBZ Kai and the various 're-mastered' editions have all been pushed from 
 the Japanese side and weren't things Funimation did.

Heh, I guess that shows how much I've payed attention to the business side of it ;)
Jul 17 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisprog gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, July 16, 2010 11:02:29 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> wrote in message
 news:op.vfxvndtn26stm6 sandford...
 
 On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:20:59 -0400, BCS <none anon.com> wrote:
 OK, only 98%
 
 http://www.hulu.com/initial-d
 

(Initial D was re-licensed by Funimation, has several more episodes) Season 1 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=41 Season 2 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=321 (Currently being re-dubbed/subbed, subs 1-4 are available) Season 4 http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=302

I'm only familiar with Funimation for their treatment of Dragonball, DBZ and DBGT (and Kai), and as I recall from way back then, they had a habit of cutting a lot out and changing all the music (and the music-changing habit seems to have been retained by Kai, at least partially). Do they do that with their other shows, too, or was that just a dragonball thing?

At this point, they pretty much never cut anything (and you can get uncut DBZ and the like now too). At most, it would be cut for broadcast. They sometimes do English versions of the songs for the opening and closing credits, but more often than not they don't (and when they do, they actually do a pretty good job - they certainly don't change what the music is in either case). They did do more editing in the past, but I think that it's been several years since they really did that on anything. They've come a long way since they did DBZ. - Jonathan M Davis
Jul 16 2010
prev sibling parent "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> writes:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:54:43 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a a.a> wrote:

 "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:mailman.365.1279305436.24349.digitalmars-d puremagic.com...
 On Friday, July 16, 2010 11:02:29 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 I'm only familiar with Funimation for their treatment of Dragonball,  
 DBZ
 and DBGT (and Kai), and as I recall from way back then, they had a  
 habit
 of cutting a lot out and changing all the music (and the music-changing
 habit seems to have been retained by Kai, at least partially). Do they  
 do
 that with their other shows, too, or was that just a dragonball thing?

At this point, they pretty much never cut anything (and you can get uncut DBZ and the like now too).

I've heard that their "uncut" DBZ series did still cut some things. Or did they do another uncut? (Not that it really matters. As much as I used to love DBZ, I got tired of it a long time ago.)
 They did do more editing in the past, but I think that it's been several
 years
 since they really did that on anything. They've come a long way since  
 they
 did
 DBZ.

That's good to hear. The whole anime/manga localization industry (at least English-localization anyway) seems to have really gotten a lot better over the years. "Flipped" left-to-right mangas are an ancient relic, and I find myself going for anime subs less and less: for instance, the English dubbing on Death Note was amazingly good. I tired listening to the japanese audio on that, and actually rather disliked it by comparison.

For the record, all the cuts you are talking about were done by 4kids, which had the broadcast rights to several popular shows, none of which survived intact. Funimation got the DVD distribution rights and later the rights to the uncut version and went back re-dubbed everything. Also, the DBZ Kai and the various 're-mastered' editions have all been pushed from the Japanese side and weren't things Funimation did.
Jul 16 2010