www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - .dmg installer for OSX?

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added 
some nice logos):

http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in 
taking up such a project?


Thanks,

Andrei
Dec 11 2011
next sibling parent reply "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:29:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I 
 just added some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community 
 interested in taking up such a project?

Michel Fortin's D for Xcode installer has the option to download and install DMD. http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/
Dec 11 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/11/11 3:43 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:29:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just
 added some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

Michel Fortin's D for Xcode installer has the option to download and install DMD. http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/

Michel, would you want to adapt and contribute your installer for pure D installation? Thanks, Andrei
Dec 11 2011
parent reply Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-12-11 23:14:48 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu 
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> said:

 On 12/11/11 3:43 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:29:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just
 added some nice logos):
 
 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html
 
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

Michel Fortin's D for Xcode installer has the option to download and install DMD. http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/

Michel, would you want to adapt and contribute your installer for pure D installation?

I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My installer creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or /Library/Compilers/dmd2 and installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also installs a script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd for D1 and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of a symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes the path of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its corresponding dmd.conf file). So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X? -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Dec 11 2011
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 12/11/2011 7:19 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
 I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My installer
 creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or /Library/Compilers/dmd2
and
 installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in
 /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also installs a
 script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd for D1
 and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of a
 symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in
 /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes the path
 of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its
 corresponding dmd.conf file).

 So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X?

I don't know - except that it ought to conform to the "Mac Way" of doing things.
Dec 11 2011
parent reply Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 03:36:47 +0000, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> said:

 On 12/11/2011 7:19 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
 I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My installer
 creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or 
 /Library/Compilers/dmd2 and
 installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in
 /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also installs a
 script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd for D1
 and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of a
 symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in
 /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes the path
 of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its
 corresponding dmd.conf file).
 
 So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X?

I don't know - except that it ought to conform to the "Mac Way" of doing things.

I think Apple would say that command line programs should be installed as it is normally done on UNIX systems. To me that means /usr/local/bin/dmd, /usr/local/lib/libphobos2.a and I'm not sure what should be the module path inside /usr/local, /usr/local/include? By putting things there, they'll automatically be on the path. But you can't have both dmd1 and dmd2 installed with that setup, which is why I'm using symlinks all over the place. How is it installed on Linux? -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Dec 11 2011
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 12/11/2011 8:15 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
 How is it installed on Linux?

Hello, dmd deb packages from http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html installs files as follow: - binaries at "/usr/bin" - modules at "/usr/include/d/dmd" - libraries on 32 bit system "/usr/bin", "/usr/bin64" and "/usr/lib32" symlink to "/usr/bin" - libraries on 64 bit system "/usr/bin32", "/usr/bin" and "/usr/lib64" symlink to "/usr/bin" - dmd configuration file as "/etc/dmd.conf" - html and samples folders at "/usr/share/dmd" - commands man pages at "/usr/share/man/man1" - dmd.conf man page at "/usr/share/man/man5" This try to follow the debian rules as you can see here: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#USRBINMOSTUSERCOMMANDS You can't have both dmd1 and dmd2 installed together. To have multiple dmd versions installed in a single system, there is a nice project that does: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm Best regards, -- Jordi Sayol
Dec 12 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
On 11/12/11 9:29 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?


 Thanks,

 Andrei

A .dmg isn't an installer. It's just an archive containing files. Usually it contains an application package that the window background instructs you to drag into the Applications folder... but that isn't applicable to DMD. Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.pkg
Dec 11 2011
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 12/11/2011 2:10 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
 Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate?

What we want is a one-click installer, whatever that might be on OSX.
Dec 11 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/11/11 4:20 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
 On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Walter Bright
 <newshound2 digitalmars.com <mailto:newshound2 digitalmars.com>> wrote:

     On 12/11/2011 2:10 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:

         Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate?



     What we want is a one-click installer, whatever that might be on OSX.


 Apple's official guidelines are to use a .dmg if all the installer needs
 to do is copy files.  Otherwise a .pkg is required to run install
 scripts.  I don't believe you can write to any folder but /Applications
 with a .dmg (which gets an exception for writing by non-root users).

 If DMD does need to run scripts or install to somewhere other than
 /Applications I highly recommend using Iceberg instead of PackageMaker
 (which in my opinion is absolutely terrible).

We'd need to add dmd to $PATH, I wonder how that could be done with a .pkg. Andrei
Dec 11 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
--f46d0408d5792cd39604b3d86c92
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 digitalmars.com>wrote:

 On 12/11/2011 2:10 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:

 Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate?

What we want is a one-click installer, whatever that might be on OSX.

Apple's official guidelines are to use a .dmg if all the installer needs to do is copy files. Otherwise a .pkg is required to run install scripts. I don't believe you can write to any folder but /Applications with a .dmg (which gets an exception for writing by non-root users). If DMD does need to run scripts or install to somewhere other than /Applications I highly recommend using Iceberg instead of PackageMaker (which in my opinion is absolutely terrible). --f46d0408d5792cd39604b3d86c92 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Walter Bright <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre= f=3D"mailto:newshound2 digitalmars.com">newshound2 digitalmars.com</a>&gt;<= /span> wrote:<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quot= e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> <div class=3D"im">On 12/11/2011 2:10 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:<br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate?<br> </blockquote> <br> <br></div> What we want is a one-click installer, whatever that might be on OSX.<br> </blockquote></div><br><div>Apple&#39;s official guidelines are to use a .d= mg if all the installer needs to do is copy files. =A0Otherwise a .pkg is r= equired to run install scripts. =A0I don&#39;t believe you can write to any= folder but /Applications with a .dmg (which gets an exception for writing = by non-root users).</div> <div><br></div><div>If DMD does need to run scripts or install to somewhere= other than /Applications I highly recommend using Iceberg instead of Packa= geMaker (which in my opinion is absolutely terrible).</div> --f46d0408d5792cd39604b3d86c92--
Dec 11 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ruslan Mullakhmetov <tiabaldu gmail.com> writes:
On 2011-12-11 22:10:37 +0000, Peter Alexander said:

 On 11/12/11 9:29 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):
 
 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html
 
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?
 
 
 Thanks,
 
 Andrei

A .dmg isn't an installer. It's just an archive containing files. Usually it contains an application package that the window background instructs you to drag into the Applications folder... but that isn't applicable to DMD. Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.pkg

Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best? I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line utilities via Macc App Store, but at least apple itself install OS X Lion and XCode via MAS. So, there is technical posibility to install arbitary toolset, not only pure GUI.app located in /Application. What do you say? -- BR, Ruslan Mullakhmetov
Dec 15 2011
next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-15 12:33, Ruslan Mullakhmetov wrote:
 On 2011-12-11 22:10:37 +0000, Peter Alexander said:

 On 11/12/11 9:29 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?


 Thanks,

 Andrei

A .dmg isn't an installer. It's just an archive containing files. Usually it contains an application package that the window background instructs you to drag into the Applications folder... but that isn't applicable to DMD. Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.pkg

Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best? I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line utilities via Macc App Store, but at least apple itself install OS X Lion and XCode via MAS. So, there is technical posibility to install arbitary toolset, not only pure GUI.app located in /Application. What do you say?

I don't think command line tools are allowed. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 15 2011
prev sibling parent reply Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-12-15 11:33:15 +0000, Ruslan Mullakhmetov <tiabaldu gmail.com> said:

 Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best?
 
 I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line 
 utilities via Macc App Store, but at least apple itself install OS X 
 Lion and XCode via MAS. So, there is technical posibility to install 
 arbitary toolset, not only pure GUI.app located in /Application.
 
 What do you say?

Not a chance. The App Store is for applications. And applications are required to be self-contained, they are not allowed to use an installer. Apple is bypassing its own rules for Xcode. -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Dec 15 2011
next sibling parent Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-12-15 20:53:23 +0000, Sean Kelly <sean invisibleduck.org> said:

 There is some grey area here though.  TextMate, for example, is an
 application but has a preference that will put a link in /usr/bin to
 launch it from the command-line.  So apps are allowed to configure the
 environment on request.  For DMD you'd probably really have to bundle it
 with an IDE to qualify it as an app store item though.

But TextMate is not available on the Mac App Store. It probably wouldn't be allowed in the store if the version submitted to Apple had this feature. To give you an idea of the mindset, Apple is currently trying to force Mac developers to sandbox their apps (similar to how apps are isolated on iOS) as a requirement to be available on the Mac App Store. Currently this requirement isn't enforced: it was scheduled to be enforced starting in november but this got pushed to march 2012… we'll see how well it goes. No doubt many apps will go out of the store when this becomes a requirement and they don't relax those rules. -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Dec 15 2011
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-15 21:53, Sean Kelly wrote:
 On Dec 15, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

 On 2011-12-15 11:33:15 +0000, Ruslan Mullakhmetov<tiabaldu gmail.com>  said:

 Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best?
 I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line utilities via
Macc App Store, but at least apple itself install OS X Lion and XCode via MAS.
So, there is technical posibility to install arbitary toolset, not only pure
GUI.app located in /Application.
 What do you say?

Not a chance. The App Store is for applications. And applications are required to be self-contained, they are not allowed to use an installer. Apple is bypassing its own rules for Xcode.

There is some grey area here though. TextMate, for example, is an application but has a preference that will put a link in /usr/bin to launch it from the command-line. So apps are allowed to configure the environment on request. For DMD you'd probably really have to bundle it with an IDE to qualify it as an app store item though.

An alpha of TextMate 2 has recently been release and TextMate 2 will not be in the App Store because it would need to give up features. The BBEdit editor is available on the App Store but: "...BBEdit does not support automatic installation and updating of the bbedit, bbfind, and bbdiff command-line tools..." -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 15 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean invisibleduck.org> writes:
On Dec 15, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

 On 2011-12-15 11:33:15 +0000, Ruslan Mullakhmetov <tiabaldu gmail.com> =

=20
 Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best?
 I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line =


Lion and XCode via MAS. So, there is technical posibility to install = arbitary toolset, not only pure GUI.app located in /Application.
 What do you say?

Not a chance. The App Store is for applications. And applications are =

Apple is bypassing its own rules for Xcode. There is some grey area here though. TextMate, for example, is an = application but has a preference that will put a link in /usr/bin to = launch it from the command-line. So apps are allowed to configure the = environment on request. For DMD you'd probably really have to bundle it = with an IDE to qualify it as an app store item though.=
Dec 15 2011
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean invisibleduck.org> writes:
Sounds like most of the apps I actually use wouldn't qualify for the app sto=
re.=20

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 15, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> wrote:

 On 2011-12-15 21:53, Sean Kelly wrote:
 On Dec 15, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
=20
 On 2011-12-15 11:33:15 +0000, Ruslan Mullakhmetov<tiabaldu gmail.com>  s=



=20
 Probably, Mac App Store instalation would be the best?
 I don't know, do Apple policies allow to install a command line utiliti=




via MAS. So, there is technical posibility to install arbitary toolset, not= only pure GUI.app located in /Application.
 What do you say?

Not a chance. The App Store is for applications. And applications are re=



is bypassing its own rules for Xcode.
=20
 There is some grey area here though.  TextMate, for example, is an applic=


m the command-line. So apps are allowed to configure the environment on req= uest. For DMD you'd probably really have to bundle it with an IDE to qualif= y it as an app store item though.
=20
=20
=20
 An alpha of TextMate 2 has recently been release and TextMate 2 will not b=

=20
 The BBEdit editor is available on the App Store but:
=20
 "...BBEdit does not support automatic installation and updating of the bbe=

=20
 --=20
 /Jacob Carlborg

Dec 16 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
--f46d040714cdfef16504b3dec063
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com>wrote:

 On 2011-12-12 03:36:47 +0000, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com>
 said:

  On 12/11/2011 7:19 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
 I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My
 installer
 creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or
 /Library/Compilers/dmd2 and
 installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in
 /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also
 installs a
 script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd
 for D1
 and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of
 a
 symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in
 /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes
 the path
 of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its
 corresponding dmd.conf file).

 So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X?

I don't know - except that it ought to conform to the "Mac Way" of doing things.

I think Apple would say that command line programs should be installed as it is normally done on UNIX systems. To me that means /usr/local/bin/dmd, /usr/local/lib/libphobos2.a and I'm not sure what should be the module path inside /usr/local, /usr/local/include? By putting things there, they'll automatically be on the path. But you can't have both dmd1 and dmd2 installed with that setup, which is why I'm using symlinks all over the place. How is it installed on Linux? -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/

D. Downloading, installing, and switching versions is a problem it was created to solve. [1] https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm/wiki/Home --f46d040714cdfef16504b3dec063 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Michel Fortin <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre= f=3D"mailto:michel.fortin michelf.com">michel.fortin michelf.com</a>&gt;</s= pan> wrote:<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"= style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> <div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">On 2011-12-12 03:36:47 +0000, Walte= r Bright &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:newshound2 digitalmars.com" target=3D"_blank= ">newshound2 digitalmars.com</a>&gt; said:<br> <br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On 12/11/2011 7:19 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:<br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My instal= ler<br> creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or /Library/Compilers/dmd= 2 and<br> installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in<b= r> /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also installs a= <br> script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd for= D1<br> and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of a<= br> symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in<br> /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes the p= ath<br> of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its<br> corresponding dmd.conf file).<br> <br> So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X?<br> </blockquote> <br> I don&#39;t know - except that it ought to conform to the &quot;Mac Way&quo= t; of doing things.<br> </blockquote> <br></div></div> I think Apple would say that command line programs should be installed as i= t is normally done on UNIX systems. To me that means /usr/local/bin/dmd, /u= sr/local/lib/libphobos2.a and I&#39;m not sure what should be the module pa= th inside /usr/local, /usr/local/include?<br> <br> By putting things there, they&#39;ll automatically be on the path.<br> <br> But you can&#39;t have both dmd1 and dmd2 installed with that setup, which = is why I&#39;m using symlinks all over the place.<br> <br> How is it installed on Linux?<div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5"><br> <br> -- <br> Michel Fortin<br> <a href=3D"mailto:michel.fortin michelf.com" target=3D"_blank">michel.forti= n michelf.com</a><br> <a href=3D"http://michelf.com/" target=3D"_blank">http://michelf.com/</a><b= r> <br> </div></div></blockquote></div><br><div>Another option would be to consider= making DVM [1] an official way to get D. =A0Downloading, installing, and s= witching versions is a problem it was created to solve.</div><div><br></div=

bucket.org/doob/dvm/wiki/Home</a></div> --f46d040714cdfef16504b3dec063--
Dec 11 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Heywood Floyd <soul8o8 gmail.com> writes:
On 12/11/11 22:29 , Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

I must take this opportunity and proclaim that a MacPorts package would be even more fantastic, to the point of giggleingly exciting even! Rant follows: Many unix/web developers use MacPorts. Most other open source software, big and small, is there, like GCC, LLVM, Apache, Lighttpd, Nginx, PHP, Perl, Python, Ocaml, Mono, Haskell, Scala, Go, Groovy, Erlang, Eiffel, Clojure, Boo, F#, SDL, Valgrind, Subversion, Git, Mercurial, Darcs, Monotone, SCons, SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, MariaDB etc. etc. etc. You can find the full list of packages here: http://www.macports.org/ports.php (Over 13000!) MacPorts is a CLI tool. Installation of packages is dead-simple:
 port install dmd

Packages are then downloaded and built locally. MacPorts is great because it allows users to conveniently stay up to date and rollback to older versions easily should something go wrong. Like:
 port sync
 port outdated

 port upgrade dmd

 dmd -run solveWorldProblems

... equality.d (7892) : Error: const can not be int when T is 57 and delegate has no inout Type!(57) void * [] pure, did you mean "huh"? ... ... "oh noes! bug! argh!!" ...
 port deactivate dmd  2.057
 port activate dmd  2.056

I'm sure all can see how wonderful this would be, given DMD's lack of stable/testing branches. Oops, did I type that out loud? :) By default MacPorts installs everything in the /opt/local-folder which in my view is awesome. It means the standard system stays pristine and I don't feel scared about installing new versions of OSX and stuff like that, and should something act weird I can always just zap the /opt-folder altogether and have my computer back to (near) out-of-the-box condition. Given that DMD is first and foremost a command-line tool, at least certainly when you install it by itself, I must admit I find it almost odd no MacPorts package has been made yet. DMG-files and PKG-files are fine, but for software that works on the system-level they are just blunt. They lack proper dependency meta-data and above all what they do can't be undone. I have no idea how to make a MacPorts package or what it takes to get one approved though. Sorry. MacPorts is of course the Darwin port of the famous FreeBSD port thing, only 10-times better than FreeBSD's chaotic fiftyseven "official" non-cooperating package managers, imho. http://macports.org My 57 cents /HF
Dec 12 2011
next sibling parent reply Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 12:45:10 +0000, Heywood Floyd <soul8o8 gmail.com> said:

 On 12/11/11 22:29 , Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

I must take this opportunity and proclaim that a MacPorts package would be even more fantastic, to the point of giggleingly exciting even!

The only downside to MacPorts is that it is not installed by default. Having to install MacPorts before installing dmd adds an extra barrier to those who don't already have MacPorts installed. A MacPorts package would be great indeed, but I think there should be a way to *just* install DMD if that's what you want. That said, I think the biggest barriers for D on OS X are the lack of Xcode support and the difficulty in accessing half of the system's APIs which are in Objective-C. I have made semi-complete solutions addressing both of these problems, but I don't have much time/inclination to work on them at this time as my current projects do not involve D much. -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Dec 12 2011
next sibling parent Heywood Floyd <soul8o8 gmail.com> writes:
On 12/12/11 14:11 , Michel Fortin wrote:
 The only downside to MacPorts is that it is not installed by default.
 Having to install MacPorts before installing dmd adds an extra barrier
 to those who don't already have MacPorts installed. A MacPorts package
 would be great indeed, but I think there should be a way to *just*
 install DMD if that's what you want.

You're right. Btw, I installed D on mac using your D for Xcode plugin. It has worked great. Thanks!
Dec 12 2011
prev sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/12/11 7:11 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 12:45:10 +0000, Heywood Floyd <soul8o8 gmail.com> said:

 On 12/11/11 22:29 , Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

I must take this opportunity and proclaim that a MacPorts package would be even more fantastic, to the point of giggleingly exciting even!

The only downside to MacPorts is that it is not installed by default. Having to install MacPorts before installing dmd adds an extra barrier to those who don't already have MacPorts installed. A MacPorts package would be great indeed, but I think there should be a way to *just* install DMD if that's what you want.

Totally agreed. In fact I myself don't have MacPorts installed. Furthermore, I've had some trouble installing it and gave up. Now whenever I see a MacPorts-installable program I'm curious about, I just move on. Andrei
Dec 12 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 13:45, Heywood Floyd wrote:
 On 12/11/11 22:29 , Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?

I must take this opportunity and proclaim that a MacPorts package would be even more fantastic, to the point of giggleingly exciting even!

I would recommend DVM instead: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm It allows you to easily install and switch between multiple versions of DMD. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 12 2011
prev sibling parent Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 08:57 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
 Totally agreed. In fact I myself don't have MacPorts installed.=20
 Furthermore, I've had some trouble installing it and gave up. Now=20
 whenever I see a MacPorts-installable program I'm curious about, I just=

 move on.

Conversely, I install MacPorts and only use Apple stuff or MacPorts stuff -- if I use the MacBook ever of course. The only thing I install from a dmg is MacPorts. Oh and MacTeX. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel russel.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Dec 12 2011
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-11 22:29, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I created an installer for Mac OS X over two years ago, when we were still using dsource.org. As far as I know it's never been used, I don't know why. This is the things I get really disappointed on. Walter specifically asked for an installer, I created one, it got uploaded to dsoruce, then nothing. Anyway, it's available at github: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx A much better way to install D, in my opinion, is DVM: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm A platform independent installer which also you to easily install and switch between multiple versions of DMD. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 12 2011
next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/12/11 6:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-11 22:29, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I created an installer for Mac OS X over two years ago, when we were still using dsource.org. As far as I know it's never been used, I don't know why. This is the things I get really disappointed on. Walter specifically asked for an installer, I created one, it got uploaded to dsoruce, then nothing.

Sorry. Hopefully things have changed significantly since.
 Anyway, it's available at github:

 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx

Would you consider authoring a pull request for D-Programming-Language/Installer?
 A much better way to install D, in my opinion, is DVM:

 https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm

 A platform independent installer which also you to easily install and
 switch between multiple versions of DMD.

Platform-independent installers are great, just not for first users. Let's have a hassle-free installation path first. Andrei
Dec 12 2011
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 15:59, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 12/12/11 6:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-11 22:29, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There's something missing from the download page (to which I just added
 some nice logos):

 http://www.d-programming-language.org/download.html

 That would be an OSX .dmg. Is a member of the community interested in
 taking up such a project?


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I created an installer for Mac OS X over two years ago, when we were still using dsource.org. As far as I know it's never been used, I don't know why. This is the things I get really disappointed on. Walter specifically asked for an installer, I created one, it got uploaded to dsoruce, then nothing.

Sorry. Hopefully things have changed significantly since.
 Anyway, it's available at github:

 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx

Would you consider authoring a pull request for D-Programming-Language/Installer?

The installer is already THERE and it's still working (I just tried it on DMD 1.072). -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 12 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/12/11 9:44 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 15:59, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Would you consider authoring a pull request for
 D-Programming-Language/Installer?

The installer is already THERE and it's still working (I just tried it on DMD 1.072).

I understand. The thing is, if we use your installer we'll have our pipeline depend on an external project. If we get your code into D-Programming-Language/Installer then we own the code, can make adjustments to it, etc. Please advise. Thanks, Andrei
Dec 12 2011
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 17:11, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 12/12/11 9:44 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 15:59, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Would you consider authoring a pull request for
 D-Programming-Language/Installer?

The installer is already THERE and it's still working (I just tried it on DMD 1.072).

I understand. The thing is, if we use your installer we'll have our pipeline depend on an external project. If we get your code into D-Programming-Language/Installer then we own the code, can make adjustments to it, etc. Please advise.

As I said, it is already THERE. Please read the link: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx It says "D-Programming-Language/installer". It was uploaded to dsource two years ago and was moved with the rest of the code to github. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 12 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 12/12/11 3:09 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 17:11, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 12/12/11 9:44 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 15:59, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Would you consider authoring a pull request for
 D-Programming-Language/Installer?

The installer is already THERE and it's still working (I just tried it on DMD 1.072).

I understand. The thing is, if we use your installer we'll have our pipeline depend on an external project. If we get your code into D-Programming-Language/Installer then we own the code, can make adjustments to it, etc. Please advise.

As I said, it is already THERE. Please read the link: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx It says "D-Programming-Language/installer". It was uploaded to dsource two years ago and was moved with the rest of the code to github.

Got it, thanks. I'll follow up on this. Andrei
Dec 12 2011
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-12-12 23:10, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 12/12/11 3:09 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 17:11, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 12/12/11 9:44 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-12-12 15:59, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Would you consider authoring a pull request for
 D-Programming-Language/Installer?

The installer is already THERE and it's still working (I just tried it on DMD 1.072).

I understand. The thing is, if we use your installer we'll have our pipeline depend on an external project. If we get your code into D-Programming-Language/Installer then we own the code, can make adjustments to it, etc. Please advise.

As I said, it is already THERE. Please read the link: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx It says "D-Programming-Language/installer". It was uploaded to dsource two years ago and was moved with the rest of the code to github.

Got it, thanks. I'll follow up on this. Andrei

Finally :) -- /Jacob Carlborg
Dec 13 2011
prev sibling parent "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:59:49 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu  
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 On 12/12/11 6:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

 Anyway, it's available at github:

 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/osx

Would you consider authoring a pull request for D-Programming-Language/Installer?

I also glossed over this too, Andrei, but reading this part of the thread again is almost comical :) I think we need a line in here about TPS reports... -Steve
Dec 12 2011