www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

c++.stl.port - fatal error

reply Arnd <Arnd_member pathlink.com> writes:
I've bought the digital mars cd. Unfortunately, using the new header file
<iostream> is impossible. Now I've tried to install the stlport library
following the advices given in a posting. If I type in cmd:
smake -f dm.mak C:\dm\stlport\src\ I'll get the error message:
SMAKE fatal error:DM.MAK(1): can't open DM.MAK.
Stopping
Thanks in advance for any advices
Arnd
Apr 02 2004
parent reply Scott Michel <scottm cs.ucla.edu> writes:
Arnd wrote:

 I've bought the digital mars cd. Unfortunately, using the new header file
 <iostream> is impossible. Now I've tried to install the stlport library
 following the advices given in a posting. If I type in cmd:
 smake -f dm.mak C:\dm\stlport\src\ I'll get the error message:
 SMAKE fatal error:DM.MAK(1): can't open DM.MAK.
 Stopping
 Thanks in advance for any advices
 Arnd

This is a FAQ -- and I'm tempted to just say "RTFM". Really. You need to tell DMC where the STLport header files are, i.e., add "-I\dm\stlport\stlport" to the compiler's command line.
Apr 06 2004
parent reply Arnd <Arnd_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c4utku$2qie$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Scott Michel says...
Arnd wrote:

 I've bought the digital mars cd. Unfortunately, using the new header file
 <iostream> is impossible. Now I've tried to install the stlport library
 following the advices given in a posting. If I type in cmd:
 smake -f dm.mak C:\dm\stlport\src\ I'll get the error message:
 SMAKE fatal error:DM.MAK(1): can't open DM.MAK.
 Stopping
 Thanks in advance for any advices
 Arnd

This is a FAQ -- and I'm tempted to just say "RTFM". Really. You need to tell DMC where the STLport header files are, i.e., add "-I\dm\stlport\stlport" to the compiler's command line.

Using the IDDE (coming with the cd)to compile an already well-tested code
there's the error message :"can't open input file <iostream>". After adding 
C:\dm\stlport\stlport before C:\dm\include to the environment variable as
>described in the manual nothing has changed.
Arnd

Apr 06 2004
parent reply -scooter- <scottm cs.ucla.edu> writes:
Arnd wrote:

 In article <c4utku$2qie$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Scott Michel says...
This is a FAQ -- and I'm tempted to just say "RTFM". Really.

You need to tell DMC where the STLport header files are, i.e., add
"-I\dm\stlport\stlport" to the compiler's command line.

Using the IDDE (coming with the cd)to compile an already well-tested code
there's the error message :"can't open input file <iostream>". After adding 
C:\dm\stlport\stlport before C:\dm\include to the environment variable as
>described in the manual nothing has changed.


Were this truly a bug, you'd think that more people would be complaining about it. Instead of munging the INCLUDE environment variable (which you really don't need to do), <hint>try changing the include path in the project options.</hint>
Apr 06 2004
parent Arnd <Arnd_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c4vapc$dj8$1 digitaldaemon.com>, -scooter- says...
Arnd wrote:

 In article <c4utku$2qie$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Scott Michel says...
This is a FAQ -- and I'm tempted to just say "RTFM". Really.

You need to tell DMC where the STLport header files are, i.e., add
"-I\dm\stlport\stlport" to the compiler's command line.

Using the IDDE (coming with the cd)to compile an already well-tested code
there's the error message :"can't open input file <iostream>". After adding 
C:\dm\stlport\stlport before C:\dm\include to the environment variable as
>described in the manual nothing has changed.


Were this truly a bug, you'd think that more people would be complaining about it. Instead of munging the INCLUDE environment variable (which you really don't need to do), <hint>try changing the include path in the project options.</hint>

Thank you for this hint. It is only necessary to type into the field
"include directories" (under "initial settings") C:\dm\stlport\stlport.
In this way no problem occurs apart from the fact that the generated console-
exe-files are much more voluminous compared to the case if one uses the old
header files.
Thank you once more.
Arnd

Apr 07 2004