www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

c++.announce - DM C/C++ 8.30 release

reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm
Oct 09 2002
parent reply "Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is the same! Jeremy
Oct 09 2002
next sibling parent reply Christof Meerwald <cmeerw web.de> writes:
On 09 Okt 2002, Jeremy Brown wrote:
 sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n

The version of sc.exe is not relevant (it's just a small wrapper around scppn). And scppn identifies itself as 8.30.11n. bye, Christof -- http://cmeerw.org JID: cmeerw jabber.at mailto cmeerw at web.de
Oct 09 2002
parent reply bw <bw_member pathlink.com> writes:
this will be my first upgrade any dos-and-don'ts?  should i delete the whole dm
subdirectory and reinstall or install over 8.29 or what?
Oct 10 2002
parent "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Depends. If you need to maintain multiple compilers, then you should keep
them separate.

I install mine to
\Programs\dm\dmJnn\dm - where J is the major and nn is the minor

Examples are P:\Programs\dm\dm829\dm, P:\Programs\dm\dm826\dm

If you don't need to do that, then I strongly suggest running just the one,
and in that case you can either overwrite, or delete and install anew. I
guess it depends whether you assume Walter will not forget to leave anything
out of the new version's zip, which is a reasonable assumption in my
experience.

Being very cagey, however, I always install to a separate directory even
when I don't need multiple versions on a particular machine, so that I can
then run a recursive difference - using Visual SourceSafe 6 - to see if
there're any large chunks missing.

Sorry for the far-too-long answer. Short one is, delete the old and install
fresh, making sure to backup anything you've added/changed first

"bw" <bw_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ao4taj$2hqd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 this will be my first upgrade any dos-and-don'ts?  should i delete the

 subdirectory and reinstall or install over 8.29 or what?

Oct 10 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Try compiling the following program for a definitive answer

#if __DMC__ == 0x826
#error 8.26
#elif __DMC__ == 0x827
#error 8.27
#elif __DMC__ == 0x828
#error 8.28
#elif __DMC__ == 0x829
#error 8.29
#elif __DMC__ == 0x830
#error 8.30
#else
#error Unknown version
#endif

"Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> wrote in message
news:ao1cgi$1ot5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is the same! Jeremy

Oct 10 2002
parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Why not just

int  main ()
{
    printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );

    return (  0 );
}


Matthew Wilson wrote:

 Try compiling the following program for a definitive answer

 #if __DMC__ == 0x826
 #error 8.26
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x827
 #error 8.27
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x828
 #error 8.28
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x829
 #error 8.29
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x830
 #error 8.30
 #else
 #error Unknown version
 #endif

 "Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> wrote in message
 news:ao1cgi$1ot5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is the same! Jeremy


Oct 10 2002
next sibling parent reply roland <rv ronetech.com> writes:
Jan Knepper wrote:

 Why not just
 
 int  main ()
 {
     printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );
 
     return (  0 );
 }
 
 

now i would like to have the compiler's version displayed on the idde output window. an idea ? roland
Oct 11 2002
parent user domain.invalid writes:
roland wrote:
 
 
 Jan Knepper wrote:
 
 Why not just

 int  main ()
 {
     printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );

     return (  0 );
 }

now i would like to have the compiler's version displayed on the idde output window. an idea ? roland

#error 8.28 to #pragma message ( "DMC version 8.28" )
Oct 11 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
You have to compile and run, and with my way you have to compile only.

Actually, the honest answer is that I'm a bit compiler-detection obsessed,
given the amount of cross-everything library work I do, so that was the
first idea that popped into my head. ;)

"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
news:3DA643E6.ABFF313A smartsoft.us...
 Why not just

 int  main ()
 {
     printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );

     return (  0 );
 }


 Matthew Wilson wrote:

 Try compiling the following program for a definitive answer

 #if __DMC__ == 0x826
 #error 8.26
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x827
 #error 8.27
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x828
 #error 8.28
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x829
 #error 8.29
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x830
 #error 8.30
 #else
 #error Unknown version
 #endif

 "Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> wrote in message
 news:ao1cgi$1ot5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is the



 Jeremy



Oct 11 2002
parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Yeah, I would like too if
#pragma message __DMC__
worked, but I am not too sure about that.



Matthew Wilson wrote:

 You have to compile and run, and with my way you have to compile only.

 Actually, the honest answer is that I'm a bit compiler-detection obsessed,
 given the amount of cross-everything library work I do, so that was the
 first idea that popped into my head. ;)

 "Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
 news:3DA643E6.ABFF313A smartsoft.us...
 Why not just

 int  main ()
 {
     printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );

     return (  0 );
 }


 Matthew Wilson wrote:

 Try compiling the following program for a definitive answer

 #if __DMC__ == 0x826
 #error 8.26
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x827
 #error 8.27
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x828
 #error 8.28
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x829
 #error 8.29
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x830
 #error 8.30
 #else
 #error Unknown version
 #endif

 "Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> wrote in message
 news:ao1cgi$1ot5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is the



 Jeremy




Oct 11 2002
parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
A truncated version of the code I use to do just what you say. :)

#define __stringize_ccver(x) #x
#define _stringize_ccver(x)  __stringize_ccver(x)

#if defined(__BORLANDC__)
#pragma message("__BORLANDC__: " _stringize_ccver(__BORLANDC__))
#elif defined(__DMC__)
#pragma message("DMC: " _stringize_ccver(__DMC__))
#elif defined(__GNUC__)
#pragma message("__GNUC__: " _stringize_ccver(__GNUC__))
#elif defined(__INTEL_COMPILER)
#pragma message("__INTEL_COMPILER: " _stringize_ccver(__INTEL_COMPILER))
#elif defined(__MWERKS__)
#pragma message("__MWERKS__: " _stringize_ccver(__MWERKS__))
#elif defined(_MSC_VER)
#pragma message("_MSC_VER: " _stringize_ccver(_MSC_VER))
#elif defined(__WATCOMC__)
#pragma message("__WATCOMC__: " _stringize_ccver(__WATCOMC__))
#else
#error Unrecognised compiler
#endif


"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
news:3DA6E81F.99CBC1F7 smartsoft.us...
 Yeah, I would like too if
 #pragma message __DMC__
 worked, but I am not too sure about that.



 Matthew Wilson wrote:

 You have to compile and run, and with my way you have to compile only.

 Actually, the honest answer is that I'm a bit compiler-detection


 given the amount of cross-everything library work I do, so that was the
 first idea that popped into my head. ;)

 "Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
 news:3DA643E6.ABFF313A smartsoft.us...
 Why not just

 int  main ()
 {
     printf ( "%X\n", __DMC__ );

     return (  0 );
 }


 Matthew Wilson wrote:

 Try compiling the following program for a definitive answer

 #if __DMC__ == 0x826
 #error 8.26
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x827
 #error 8.27
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x828
 #error 8.28
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x829
 #error 8.29
 #elif __DMC__ == 0x830
 #error 8.30
 #else
 #error Unknown version
 #endif

 "Jeremy Brown" <jbrown safestone.com> wrote in message
 news:ao1cgi$1ot5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:ao0po3$153t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 www.digitalmars.com/compiler.htm

sc.exe from dmc830c.zip identifies itself as 8.29n 24/07/2002 10:09p 57,884 SC.EXE Downloading dmc.zip (ie latest) from the link given by walter is





 same!
 Jeremy





Oct 11 2002
parent reply roland <--rv ronetech.com> writes:
Matthew Wilson wrote:

 A truncated version of the code I use to do just what you say. :)
 
 #define __stringize_ccver(x) #x
 #define _stringize_ccver(x)  __stringize_ccver(x)
 
 #if defined(__BORLANDC__)
 #pragma message("__BORLANDC__: " _stringize_ccver(__BORLANDC__))
 #elif defined(__DMC__)
 #pragma message("DMC: " _stringize_ccver(__DMC__))
 #elif defined(__GNUC__)
 #pragma message("__GNUC__: " _stringize_ccver(__GNUC__))
 #elif defined(__INTEL_COMPILER)
 #pragma message("__INTEL_COMPILER: " _stringize_ccver(__INTEL_COMPILER))
 #elif defined(__MWERKS__)
 #pragma message("__MWERKS__: " _stringize_ccver(__MWERKS__))
 #elif defined(_MSC_VER)
 #pragma message("_MSC_VER: " _stringize_ccver(_MSC_VER))
 #elif defined(__WATCOMC__)
 #pragma message("__WATCOMC__: " _stringize_ccver(__WATCOMC__))
 #else
 #error Unrecognised compiler
 #endif
 
 

i searched for this one for years and was unable to display something else than "DMC: __DMC__" .. thanks roland
Nov 11 2002
parent "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
You're most welcome

"roland" <--rv ronetech.com> wrote in message
news:3DCF9748.5000307 ronetech.com...
 Matthew Wilson wrote:

 A truncated version of the code I use to do just what you say. :)

 #define __stringize_ccver(x) #x
 #define _stringize_ccver(x)  __stringize_ccver(x)

 #if defined(__BORLANDC__)
 #pragma message("__BORLANDC__: " _stringize_ccver(__BORLANDC__))
 #elif defined(__DMC__)
 #pragma message("DMC: " _stringize_ccver(__DMC__))
 #elif defined(__GNUC__)
 #pragma message("__GNUC__: " _stringize_ccver(__GNUC__))
 #elif defined(__INTEL_COMPILER)
 #pragma message("__INTEL_COMPILER: " _stringize_ccver(__INTEL_COMPILER))
 #elif defined(__MWERKS__)
 #pragma message("__MWERKS__: " _stringize_ccver(__MWERKS__))
 #elif defined(_MSC_VER)
 #pragma message("_MSC_VER: " _stringize_ccver(_MSC_VER))
 #elif defined(__WATCOMC__)
 #pragma message("__WATCOMC__: " _stringize_ccver(__WATCOMC__))
 #else
 #error Unrecognised compiler
 #endif

i searched for this one for years and was unable to display something else than "DMC: __DMC__" .. thanks roland

Nov 11 2002