www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

c++ - Mixed "C"-gnals

reply "Aurura" <aurura ev1.net> writes:
I actually found a tutorial for the absolute beginner in C and C++ online.
While I understand that I still need to get a book, I was still delighted to
find more online enlightenment.

So, of course, comes my next questions:

All the program exercises for these tutorials have (obviously) a ".c" extension.
Will this be compatible with the DigitalMars compiler?

Will I need to rename them to '.cpp' before I can use any of them?  or will that
corrupt the file or compiler?

Me (again)
Sep 17 2002
next sibling parent user domain.invalid writes:
No you don't have to rename them. As long as C++ sources are in 
*.cpp files and c sources are in *.c files.

The compiler is a C and C++ compiler.

Aurura wrote:
 I actually found a tutorial for the absolute beginner in C and C++ online.
 While I understand that I still need to get a book, I was still delighted to
 find more online enlightenment.
 
 So, of course, comes my next questions:
 
 All the program exercises for these tutorials have (obviously) a ".c"
extension.
 Will this be compatible with the DigitalMars compiler?
 
 Will I need to rename them to '.cpp' before I can use any of them?  or will
that
 corrupt the file or compiler?
 
 Me (again)
 
 

Sep 17 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Aurura" <aurura ev1.net> writes:
the '.c' files I have were originally in a folder called 'CTutorial'.

I had to move a '.c'  into DigitalMars' bin file in order for it to link and
compile.  Though I'm satisfied with the result, I'd like to ask if all of the .c
or .cpp files I ever use or create will have to be saved in DigitalMars' bin
file in order to work?

Me
Sep 17 2002
parent reply user domain.invalid writes:
Aurura wrote:
 the '.c' files I have were originally in a folder called 'CTutorial'.
 
 I had to move a '.c'  into DigitalMars' bin file in order for it to link and
 compile.  Though I'm satisfied with the result, I'd like to ask if all of the
.c
 or .cpp files I ever use or create will have to be saved in DigitalMars' bin
 file in order to work?
 
 Me
 
 

folder. You have make sure the the bin dir is in the search path.
Sep 18 2002
parent reply "Aurura" <aurura ev1.net> writes:
...exactly how do I do that?
Sep 18 2002
parent reply bw <bw_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <amad0k$2b9d$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Aurura says...
...exactly how do I do that?

lot's of ways to skin a cat, sorry if this is too much information. from a prompt... set path=c:\etc\etc\dm\bin;%PATH% -or- you can add c:\etc\dm\bin to your autoexec.bat PATH= statement if you have one. that way you don't have to reset it every time you open a new window. -or- you could create a sc.bat file and stick it in your windows\command folder, something like... rem sc.bat echo off c:\etc\etc\dm\bin\sc.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 rem end sc.bat -or- you could create a dmvars.bat i've been using this... rem dmvars.bat echo off if "%1"=="OFF" goto remove if "%1"=="off" goto remove subst s: c:\cpp\dm set path=s:\bin;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\xdos; set INCLUDE= set LIB= echo DMC++ variables set goto end :remove c: subst s: /d set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\xdos; echo DMC++ variables removed goto end :end rem end dmvars.bat
Sep 18 2002
parent reply "Aurura" <aurura ev1.net> writes:
...I tried your first example in five different ways.

Here's how I tried them:

1.  set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,%PATH%
   Too many parameters

2.  set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin
   (Took me back to the original prompt)

3. set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,compiler
   Too many parameters

4.set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin, compiler
   Too many parameters

5.set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,%compiler%
  Syntax error

As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing.
I'll keep trying.  Any additional assistance would be absolutely wonderful.

Me
Sep 18 2002
next sibling parent "Aurura" <aurura ev1.net> writes:
okay, so I used a semi colon instead.  now, I type in path, and I get:

PATH=C:\DIGMARS\DM\BIN;C:\DIGMARS\DM\BIN;COMPILER

um... was this supposed to happen this way?

feeling sheepish,

Me
Sep 18 2002
prev sibling parent Michael Comperchio <mcmprch adelphia.net> writes:
Aurura wrote:
 ...I tried your first example in five different ways.
 
 Here's how I tried them:
 
 1.  set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,%PATH%
    Too many parameters
 
 2.  set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin
    (Took me back to the original prompt)
 
 3. set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,compiler
    Too many parameters
 
 4.set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin, compiler
    Too many parameters
 
 5.set path=c:\DigMars\dm\bin,%compiler%
   Syntax error
 
 As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing.
 I'll keep trying.  Any additional assistance would be absolutely wonderful.
 
 Me
 
 

you need dot-commas (;) not commas....
Sep 18 2002