c++ - Port to Linux and/or FreeBSD.

reply J. Harlough <J._member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello. I've used the Digital Mars C++ compiler under Windows somewhat, and have
found it to be an excellent experience. However, at home I tend to do most of my
hobby development under Linux and FreeBSD running on PCs. I was wondering if
there has been, or will be, a port to Linux and FreeBSD of the C and C++
compilers.

This is slightly off-topic, but will there be ports of the D programming
language compiler and runtime to Linux and/or FreeBSD? I've looked at the
language briefly, and it seems to be pretty interesting.

Please pardon me if these questions have been freqently asked. I did a quick
search through the site's search engine and at Google (news.digitalmars.com
isn't available through groups.google.com) and didn't find any relevant
information.

Thanks so much,
J. Harlough
Jul 18 2002
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Good questions. There have been a couple of ports of DMC++ to Linux, but
both failed due to lack of interest. There is plenty of interest in a
Linux/GNU version of D, and an ongoing project to create one in the
newsgroup D.gnu

-Walter

"J. Harlough" <J._member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ah7tfs$11r8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

next sibling parent reply "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> writes:
Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or even
cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
file.

Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
versions will do.
Thanks,
- Rajiv

news:ah7vo2$13v4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

next sibling parent user domain.invalid writes:
I would be very happy to have DMC++ on FreeBSD / Linux! Even
without the latest and greatest template stuff.

Thanks
Arjan

Rajiv Bhagwat wrote:
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or even
 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv

 news:ah7vo2$13v4$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Good questions. There have been a couple of ports of DMC++ to Linux, but
both failed due to lack of interest. There is plenty of interest in a
Linux/GNU version of D, and an ongoing project to create one in the
newsgroup D.gnu

-Walter
Jul 19 2002
The ports were never finished.

"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or
even
 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv
Jul 19 2002
parent reply "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> writes:
What can we do (besides nagging!) to help finish the porting? The gcc
experience is not good so far, after being spoilt by the DMC speed and
convenience.

- Rajiv

news:ah9kh5$2qmc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The ports were never finished.

 "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
 news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or
even
 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv
Jul 19 2002
I'm just too overextended. I have to be a little ruthless in paring down
what I take on. -Walter

"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:ahb0at$16dl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What can we do (besides nagging!) to help finish the porting? The gcc
 experience is not good so far, after being spoilt by the DMC speed and
 convenience.

 - Rajiv

 news:ah9kh5$2qmc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The ports were never finished.

 "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
 news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or
even
 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF
format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv
Jul 20 2002
parent reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
Walter makes a good point.  There may be an alternative.  Let a small group of
volunteers work on a Linux port under source code nondisclosure terms of your
choice.  Draft some terms and have the volunteers sign the paperwork.  I'd like
to see a Linux release too.  -M.

In article <ahb3l0$1an4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
I'm just too overextended. I have to be a little ruthless in paring down
what I take on. -Walter
Jul 25 2002
next sibling parent reply "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> writes:
That's a good suggestion. I have a hunch that although gcc is free, people
will even pay a small amount for Walter's faster and better compiler. If
included on the same CD, it will certainly attract a wider crowd.
- Rajiv

news:ahp2g3$2mvc$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent "KarL" <none nowhere.org> writes:
"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:ahqm9j$1g0k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 That's a good suggestion. I have a hunch that although gcc is free, people
 will even pay a small amount for Walter's faster and better compiler. If
 included on the same CD, it will certainly attract a wider crowd.
 - Rajiv
AND embedded systems like CE, Palm, NEC, etc etc....?
Jul 28 2002
prev sibling parent "V. Krishnakumar" <lvimala eth.net> writes:
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ahp2g3$2mvc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter makes a good point.  There may be an alternative.  Let a small
group of
 volunteers work on a Linux port under source code nondisclosure terms of
your
 choice.  Draft some terms and have the volunteers sign the paperwork.  I'd
like
 to see a Linux release too.  -M.
Mark, I suggested this to Walter some time ago and seems like he is not interested. :-( cheers, -Krish
Jul 27 2002
prev sibling parent J. Harlough <J._member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks for the quick reply. Please keep up the excellent work, both with your
C/C++ compiler and the D programming language.

J. Harlough

In article <ah7vo2$13v4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

prev sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
J. Harlough wrote:
 This is slightly off-topic, but will there be ports of the D programming
 language compiler and runtime to Linux and/or FreeBSD? I've looked at the
 language briefly, and it seems to be pretty interesting.
The Linux version has been around for a while, and the FreeBSD D compiler was just released. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/dmd-freebsd.html
Apr 07 2009