www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D.gnu - ubuntu 8.04 D 2.0 build?

reply name <no body.com> writes:
The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0

(prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)

I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?

Thanks.
Jul 03 2008
next sibling parent reply Witold Baryluk <baryluk smp.if.uj.edu.pl> writes:
Dnia 2008-07-03, czw o godzinie 17:29 +0000, name pisze:
 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?

gdc is not supporting D 2.0 yet. but you can check cvs, i saw there are some changes in preparation.
Jul 04 2008
next sibling parent Moritz Warning <moritzwarning web.de> writes:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:35:15 +0200, Witold Baryluk wrote:

 Dnia 2008-07-03, czw o godzinie 17:29 +0000, name pisze:
 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?

gdc is not supporting D 2.0 yet. but you can check cvs, i saw there are some changes in preparation.

As far as I heard on many places, D 2.0 is supported and you can enable it before compilation with /gcc/d/setup-gcc.sh --d-language-version=2
Jul 04 2008
prev sibling parent Witold Baryluk <baryluk smp.if.uj.edu.pl> writes:
Dnia 2008-07-05, sob o godzinie 04:04 +0000, Moritz Warning pisze:
 On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:35:15 +0200, Witold Baryluk wrote:
 
 Dnia 2008-07-03, czw o godzinie 17:29 +0000, name pisze:
 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?

gdc is not supporting D 2.0 yet. but you can check cvs, i saw there are some changes in preparation.

As far as I heard on many places, D 2.0 is supported and you can enable it before compilation with /gcc/d/setup-gcc.sh --d-language-version=2

So compile it. (gdc 0.25 isn't out yet, and as I said check in CVS).
Jul 04 2008
prev sibling parent reply Markus Koskimies <markus reaaliaika.net> writes:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:29:48 +0000, name wrote:

 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?
 
 Thanks.

Hi, have anyone really got this working? I just bought a new 64-bit computer, and installed 64-bit Xubuntu on it. I have a bunch of programs written with D (version 1) and I have earlier used "dmd" for compiling them (some older, but functional version). --- First I fetched GDC from repository. It can't compile my more complex programs, but that's another case. The simple programs were compiled, but none of them is working, since every "writefln" with more than the format string causes segfault: writefln("Hello, world!"); // Works writelfn("Number: %d", 1); // Segfault Aargh! --- I went to digital mars web page and retrieved dmd. No luck - it works only with 32-bit libraries :E One second I thought that maybe I should go & fetch also the 32-bit standard libraries to get it working, but I rejected that thought. --- Allright, then, I went to fetch the GDC sources from SVN. I have tried to get the phobos library configured (I think that the writefln -problem is inside the runtime library), but at the moment with no luck. gdcc/trunk/d/phobos$ ./configure configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../.. I'm open for good proposals to get the D compiler to produce executables, that work... Hopefully there will be soon a new release of GDC (for Ubuntu).
Jul 06 2008
next sibling parent Moritz Warning <moritzwarning web.de> writes:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 01:00:47 +0000, Markus Koskimies wrote:

 On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:29:48 +0000, name wrote:
 
 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?
 
 Thanks.

Hi, have anyone really got this working? I just bought a new 64-bit computer, and installed 64-bit Xubuntu on it. I have a bunch of programs written with D (version 1) and I have earlier used "dmd" for compiling them (some older, but functional version). --- First I fetched GDC from repository. It can't compile my more complex programs, but that's another case. The simple programs were compiled, but none of them is working, since every "writefln" with more than the format string causes segfault: writefln("Hello, world!"); // Works writelfn("Number: %d", 1); // Segfault Aargh!

These build instructions do work fine for me (they are not Tango specific): http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/GdcInstallation
Jul 06 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent Markus Koskimies <markus reaaliaika.net> writes:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 01:41:22 +0000, Moritz Warning wrote:

 On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 01:00:47 +0000, Markus Koskimies wrote:
 
 On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:29:48 +0000, name wrote:
 
 The default gdc package on ubuntu 8.04 is d 1.0
 
 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
 
 I just wonder if there's a D 2.0 build?
 
 Thanks.

Hi, have anyone really got this working? I just bought a new 64-bit computer, and installed 64-bit Xubuntu on it. I have a bunch of programs written with D (version 1) and I have earlier used "dmd" for compiling them (some older, but functional version). --- First I fetched GDC from repository. It can't compile my more complex programs, but that's another case. The simple programs were compiled, but none of them is working, since every "writefln" with more than the format string causes segfault: writefln("Hello, world!"); // Works writelfn("Number: %d", 1); // Segfault Aargh!

These build instructions do work fine for me (they are not Tango specific): http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/GdcInstallation

Thanks, I'll check those later. My first problem was to get old sources to get compiled. Those are made for DMD version 1 and Phobos, and I finally came to a conclusion that there is no other way than to set up a 32-bit chroot'd box for compiling them - yes, it's working now... I'll fight with GDC later, and I study more about that tango-thing. I like Phobos, because it makes simple programs simple and I really like C- style format strings (!!!), but I'll think that I'll give Tango a chance. Although I'm a little bit worried that Tango is something like C++ standard template library, meaning that you need to write a bunch of code to make simple things working, but in a more complex program it may pay back...
Jul 06 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent Vincenzo Ampolo <vincenzo.ampolo gmail.com> writes:
Markus Koskimies wrote:

 Hi, have anyone really got this working?

Hi, i've an ubuntu 64 bit too. In this site http://codeblog.palos.ro/2008/03/27/debian-d-packages-release-3/ you can find some useful packages for x86_64 like tango library and dsss. With dsss installed, then you can compile dmd for x86_64 easily. I've done it, but not tested anymore...
Jul 07 2008
prev sibling parent Markus Koskimies <markus reaaliaika.net> writes:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:35:09 +0200, Vincenzo Ampolo wrote:

 Markus Koskimies wrote:
 
 Hi, have anyone really got this working?

Hi, i've an ubuntu 64 bit too. In this site http://codeblog.palos.ro/2008/03/27/debian-d-packages-release-3/ you can find some useful packages for x86_64 like tango library and dsss. With dsss installed, then you can compile dmd for x86_64 easily. I've done it, but not tested anymore...

Hmmh, still no luck, but I'm a newbie with these newer D things. Anyway, that chrooted environment is somewhat working, so I have no hurry to study how to get GDC and those things working :)
Jul 07 2008