www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D.gnu - GDC updated to use 2.065

reply "Iain Buclaw" <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> writes:
It's done, after 2 months brewing in development.

https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76
Jun 11 2014
next sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?Ik5vcmRsw7Z3Ig==?= <per.nordlow gmail.com> writes:
 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76

289 modified files - that is some massive great work!
Jun 11 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 11/06/14 23:54, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 It's done, after 2 months brewing in development.

 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76

Oh, awesome. Congratulations and thanks. :-) Related note -- what are the recommended/required gcc sources to use? Is 4.9.0 adequate or does this update require the gcc trunk?
Jun 11 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Iain Buclaw via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 11 June 2014 23:26, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu
<d.gnu puremagic.com> wrote:
 On 11/06/14 23:54, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 It's done, after 2 months brewing in development.

 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76

Oh, awesome. Congratulations and thanks. :-) Related note -- what are the recommended/required gcc sources to use? Is 4.9.0 adequate or does this update require the gcc trunk?

Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc this was last tested and verified against. However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this backported to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)
Jun 11 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Mike" <none none.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 at 21:54:28 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 It's done, after 2 months brewing in development.

 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76

This is great news. Thank you to all those involved.
Jun 11 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 at 22:50:37 UTC, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu
wrote:
 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this 
 backported
 to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

Eagerly waiting for it ;)
Jun 12 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Stefan Frijters" <sfrijters gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 at 21:54:28 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 It's done, after 2 months brewing in development.

 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/76

Cool stuff! I'm champing at the bit to performance test a recent project of mine which uses some bleeding edge language features, so anything that gets me closer to being able to compile it with GDC is excellent news. My thanks to all involved!
Jun 12 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 12/06/14 00:50, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc
 this was last tested and verified against.

 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this backported
 to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

I have no horses to hold, but Johannes' work is always worth waiting for :-)
Jun 12 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent Johannes Pfau <nospam example.com> writes:
Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:57:01 +0200
schrieb "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com>:

 On 12/06/14 00:50, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc
 this was last tested and verified against.

 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this
 backported to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

I have no horses to hold, but Johannes' work is always worth waiting for :-)

No need to wait any longer, I already pushed the updated gdc-4.9 branch yesterday. Binary builds will be delayed until https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12900 is fixed. I'd also recommend to delay linux distribution package updates but I hope that bug will be fixed soon.
Jun 13 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
On Friday, 13 June 2014 at 07:25:27 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
 I'd also recommend to delay linux distribution package
 updates but I hope that bug will be fixed soon.

Thanks for the warning, really appreciated :)
Jun 13 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Iain Buclaw via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 13 June 2014 08:23, Johannes Pfau via D.gnu <d.gnu puremagic.com> wrote:
 Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:57:01 +0200
 schrieb "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com>:

 On 12/06/14 00:50, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc
 this was last tested and verified against.

 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this
 backported to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

I have no horses to hold, but Johannes' work is always worth waiting for :-)

No need to wait any longer, I already pushed the updated gdc-4.9 branch yesterday. Binary builds will be delayed until https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12900 is fixed. I'd also recommend to delay linux distribution package updates but I hope that bug will be fixed soon.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3662 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/91835c9e4f8787d2b347a19540e091744fca416f I would daresay all good to go. But I am aware of a couple of bugs compiling realworld software (eg: vibe.d, and apparently dub?)
Jun 13 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Iain Buclaw via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 13 June 2014 23:59, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> wrote:
 On 13 June 2014 08:23, Johannes Pfau via D.gnu <d.gnu puremagic.com> wrote:
 Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:57:01 +0200
 schrieb "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com>:

 On 12/06/14 00:50, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc
 this was last tested and verified against.

 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this
 backported to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

I have no horses to hold, but Johannes' work is always worth waiting for :-)

No need to wait any longer, I already pushed the updated gdc-4.9 branch yesterday. Binary builds will be delayed until https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12900 is fixed. I'd also recommend to delay linux distribution package updates but I hope that bug will be fixed soon.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3662 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/91835c9e4f8787d2b347a19540e091744fca416f I would daresay all good to go. But I am aware of a couple of bugs compiling realworld software (eg: vibe.d, and apparently dub?)

OK, fixes pushed to get dub and vibe working against gdc.... Any other high priority bugs that need fixing? :)
Jun 13 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Iain Buclaw via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 14 June 2014 02:39, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> wrote:
 On 13 June 2014 23:59, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> wrote:
 On 13 June 2014 08:23, Johannes Pfau via D.gnu <d.gnu puremagic.com> wrote:
 Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:57:01 +0200
 schrieb "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com>:

 On 12/06/14 00:50, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 Bleeding edge, see gcc.version which has the snapshot version of gcc
 this was last tested and verified against.

 However if the last conversation I had with Johannes was of any
 indicator, if you hold onto your horses, you may find this
 backported to work on 4.9.x in the next weeks. :-)

I have no horses to hold, but Johannes' work is always worth waiting for :-)

No need to wait any longer, I already pushed the updated gdc-4.9 branch yesterday. Binary builds will be delayed until https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12900 is fixed. I'd also recommend to delay linux distribution package updates but I hope that bug will be fixed soon.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3662 https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/91835c9e4f8787d2b347a19540e091744fca416f I would daresay all good to go. But I am aware of a couple of bugs compiling realworld software (eg: vibe.d, and apparently dub?)

OK, fixes pushed to get dub and vibe working against gdc.... Any other high priority bugs that need fixing? :)

If anyone is privileged enough to have gdc with 2.065 already, then I'd like to suggest trying out dub and building all packages in http://code.dlang.org using it, using various different compiler flags, and report back any bugs found (with nice minimal cases I'd hope) Regards Iain
Jun 14 2014
prev sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via D.gnu" <d.gnu puremagic.com> writes:
On 14/06/14 13:41, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu wrote:
 If anyone is privileged enough to have gdc with 2.065 already, then
 I'd like to suggest trying out dub and building all packages in
 http://code.dlang.org using it, using various different compiler
 flags, and report back any bugs found (with nice minimal cases I'd
 hope)

Just finished building about 10 minutes ago :-) I probably won't have free time to do the all-dub-packages test in the near future but can report that it plays fine with my 2.065-requiring libraries (hap.random and Dgraph), including working as dub dependencies. (I haven't actually built dub itself with gdc yet.) As usual speed seems on a par with LDC with the typical differences that GDC seems slightly ahead on raw number-crunching stuff and LDC seems ahead on template-heavy or range-based code (e.g. in hap.random, GDC optimizes the dice() function much better, but LDC seems ahead on the (Random)Sample class and on the range-based random distributions).
Jun 14 2014