www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D.gnu - Svelte Niagara boxen seeking handsome D compiler

reply Kris <Kris_member pathlink.com> writes:
Unappreciated, well-bestowed multi-core Niagara server, with great tracts of
RAM, has just appeared on the doorstep seeking a love-fest of notable
proportion. What she needs is *ahem* a D compiler to warm her dear little heart
*cough*

Is there a GCC backend for Niagara that could be put to use? Does GDC support
Solaris console apps? After all, it would be a cruel twist to turn this svelte
creature over to the wrinkled hands of a JVM. What say you ~ rolicking
adventurers? Can you help?

- Kris

[need threads and GC to get the ball rolling ~ no need for a full Phobos]
Mar 10 2006
next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Kris wrote:
 Unappreciated, well-bestowed multi-core Niagara server, with great tracts of
 RAM, has just appeared on the doorstep seeking a love-fest of notable
 proportion. What she needs is *ahem* a D compiler to warm her dear little heart
 *cough*
 
 Is there a GCC backend for Niagara that could be put to use? Does GDC support
 Solaris console apps? After all, it would be a cruel twist to turn this svelte
 creature over to the wrinkled hands of a JVM. What say you ~ rolicking
 adventurers? Can you help?

I'm interested as well, as I develop on SPARC at work. To that end, GCC for SPARC was announced just a few days ago: http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html though I've done little more than skim the FAQ. I wouldn't mind attempting an Ares port to Solaris, but I'd need to get GDC running first. Are there any problems with installing GCC to a home directory as a user without root access? And has anyone tried to build GDC on Solaris before? Sean
Mar 10 2006
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Sean Kelly schrieb am 2006-03-10:
 Are there any problems with installing GCC to a home directory 
 as a user without root access?

None, just remember to update your PATH.
 And has anyone tried to build GDC on Solaris before?

http://w148.de/~mmartin/d/ Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEEfFh3w+/yD4P9tIRAmPVAKCqtdnM9/69UCliuSavOMCG0NTckwCgrw6V dl2E6ivj5Zjoy7yZbhLsqo4= =3NEf -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Mar 10 2006
parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Sean Kelly schrieb am 2006-03-10:
 
Are there any problems with installing GCC to a home directory 
as a user without root access?

None, just remember to update your PATH.
And has anyone tried to build GDC on Solaris before?

http://w148.de/~mmartin/d/

Thanks for the link, Thomas. Do you happen to know how to get in touch with Mr Martin? - Kris
Mar 10 2006
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

kris schrieb am 2006-03-11:
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 Sean Kelly schrieb am 2006-03-10:
And has anyone tried to build GDC on Solaris before?

http://w148.de/~mmartin/d/

Thanks for the link, Thomas. Do you happen to know how to get in touch with Mr Martin?

Try marcel.martin xx uni-bielefeld.de or mmar xx freenet.de. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEEnOS3w+/yD4P9tIRAjo1AJ4xPFXSqxumAo5NFXX8cSvBpF6ZKACgr4IU og9CVwMxRfSAqSamlXub1hE= =usAl -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Mar 10 2006
parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 
 Try ........

Thanks again; - Kris
Mar 10 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 Kris wrote:
 
 Unappreciated, well-bestowed multi-core Niagara server, with great 
 tracts of
 RAM, has just appeared on the doorstep seeking a love-fest of notable
 proportion. What she needs is *ahem* a D compiler to warm her dear 
 little heart
 *cough*

 Is there a GCC backend for Niagara that could be put to use? Does GDC 
 support
 Solaris console apps? After all, it would be a cruel twist to turn 
 this svelte
 creature over to the wrinkled hands of a JVM. What say you ~ rolicking
 adventurers? Can you help?

I'm interested as well, as I develop on SPARC at work. To that end, GCC for SPARC was announced just a few days ago: http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html though I've done little more than skim the FAQ. I wouldn't mind attempting an Ares port to Solaris, but I'd need to get GDC running first. Are there any problems with installing GCC to a home directory as a user without root access? And has anyone tried to build GDC on Solaris before? Sean

Great! Welcome to the party, Sean. We'll probably get the machine set up over the weekend, and then give you an account. Let's chat more when that's done ... - Kris
Mar 10 2006
prev sibling parent reply Marco <Marco_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dusmnn$2ag4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
I'm interested as well, as I develop on SPARC at work.  To that end, GCC 
for SPARC was announced just a few days ago:

http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html

From recent rumblings at Sun is SPARC going the way of Alpha?
Jun 02 2006
parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Marco wrote:
 In article <dusmnn$2ag4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
 I'm interested as well, as I develop on SPARC at work.  To that end, GCC 
 for SPARC was announced just a few days ago:

 http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html

From recent rumblings at Sun is SPARC going the way of Alpha?

I wish they'd _replace_ SPARC with an Alpha manufactured with contemporary processes - now *that* would be something <g>
Jun 02 2006
prev sibling parent b localhost.localdomain writes:
I have a working D compiler on a sun sparc ultra 60, using solaris 10,
gcc-3.3.2 and gdc-0.17 along with solaris/sparc patch from marcel
martin( at http://w148.de/~mmartin/d/gdc-0.17-sparc-solaris-patch - I
believe this was posted to this newsgroup 'round December 29-30 2005). If I
recall I also had to tweak the setup-gcc.sh script to use gpatch instead of
patch

Working with D has been on the  backburner since February, so I'm not sure
how effective it is at using all things D on the 64 bit arch. However, I
have written numerous "toy" console apps, which work with gdc0.17

I must give a thank you to David Friedman,Marcel Martin, et.al. for their
work on getting gdc working on sparc 64 - let's hope gdc continues to
evolve for use on the sparc arch.

Hope this helps

brad





Kris wrote:

 Unappreciated, well-bestowed multi-core Niagara server, with great tracts
 of RAM, has just appeared on the doorstep seeking a love-fest of notable
 proportion. What she needs is *ahem* a D compiler to warm her dear little
 heart *cough*
 
 Is there a GCC backend for Niagara that could be put to use? Does GDC
 support Solaris console apps? After all, it would be a cruel twist to turn
 this svelte creature over to the wrinkled hands of a JVM. What say you ~
 rolicking adventurers? Can you help?
 
 - Kris
 
 [need threads and GC to get the ball rolling ~ no need for a full Phobos]

Mar 12 2006