www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D.gnu - GDC Home Page and Hosting

reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Last year some time, I wrote on this group:

 Maybe it's time for a new home page for GDC,
 with all the requirements and also binaries -
 Perhaps set up a project up at SourceForge ?

There's the RPMS for various Linux distributions, a DMG disk image with PKG packages for Mac OS X, and other things that could need some hosting... (some hundred megs in disk space + the bandwidth) This old project seems to need to die, as well: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/ Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002") It's not exactly bringing in more people to D. --anders
Feb 02 2005
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop.THISISSPAM kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Anders F Björklund schrieb am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:22:55 +0100:
| Last year some time, I wrote on this group:
|
|> Maybe it's time for a new home page for GDC,
|> with all the requirements and also binaries -
|> Perhaps set up a project up at SourceForge ?
|
|
| There's the RPMS for various Linux distributions,
| a DMG disk image with PKG packages for Mac OS X,
| and other things that could need some hosting...
| (some hundred megs in disk space + the bandwidth)
|
|
| This old project seems to need to die, as well:
| http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/

Andrew C. Oliver ?

| Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been
| updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002")

Jan Knepper ?

| It's not exactly bringing in more people to D.
| --anders

Let's sum up the current URLs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/
David Friedman - GDC release snapshots

http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/gdc-0.10-3.nosrc.rpm
Anders F Björklund - RPMs

What we need is a focal point with:
- - lots of bandwith to waste (binary RPMS etc)
- - bug / RFE / patch tracker
- - a revision control system (e.g. Subversion) for the source code

Potential solutions:

1) http://developer.berlios.de/
PRO: supports Subversion and CVS
CON: no compiler farm aviable

2) http://sourceforge.net/
PRO: extensive compiler farm aviable
PRO: known throughout the universe ;)
CON: only CVS (quite unstable at times)

3) http://dsource.org/
PRO: the current center of open sourced D
CON: currently only Subversion ( Brad is working on Track integration)

Thomas
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFCAM6T3w+/yD4P9tIRAjtVAKCT9ZMU9pXux+gYZwZI404dxaWrYgCdGOZl
1cHgV01ctX+5VueZD4RaKbs=
=yE4e
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Feb 02 2005
next sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Anders F Björklund schrieb am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:22:55 +0100:
 | Last year some time, I wrote on this group:
 |
 |> Maybe it's time for a new home page for GDC,
 |> with all the requirements and also binaries -
 |> Perhaps set up a project up at SourceForge ?
 |
 |
 | There's the RPMS for various Linux distributions,
 | a DMG disk image with PKG packages for Mac OS X,
 | and other things that could need some hosting...
 | (some hundred megs in disk space + the bandwidth)
 |
 |
 | This old project seems to need to die, as well:
 | http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/
 
 Andrew C. Oliver ?
 
 | Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been
 | updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002")
 
 Jan Knepper ?
 
 | It's not exactly bringing in more people to D.
 | --anders
 
 Let's sum up the current URLs.
 
 http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/
 David Friedman - GDC release snapshots
 
 http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/gdc-0.10-3.nosrc.rpm
 Anders F Björklund - RPMs
 
 What we need is a focal point with:
 - - lots of bandwith to waste (binary RPMS etc)
 - - bug / RFE / patch tracker
 - - a revision control system (e.g. Subversion) for the source code
 
 Potential solutions:
 
 1) http://developer.berlios.de/
 PRO: supports Subversion and CVS
 CON: no compiler farm aviable
 
 2) http://sourceforge.net/
 PRO: extensive compiler farm aviable
 PRO: known throughout the universe ;)
 CON: only CVS (quite unstable at times)
 
 3) http://dsource.org/
 PRO: the current center of open sourced D
 CON: currently only Subversion ( Brad is working on Track integration)

CON: Bandwidth - my company is generously supplying it now, but won't if it affects the ability for people in our office to do work. Other than mirroring, any ideas on how to deal with this? Are there open-source friendly server farms out there for the downloads portion of dsource.org? BA
 
 Thomas
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
 iD8DBQFCAM6T3w+/yD4P9tIRAjtVAKCT9ZMU9pXux+gYZwZI404dxaWrYgCdGOZl
 1cHgV01ctX+5VueZD4RaKbs=
 =yE4e
 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Feb 02 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 Potential solutions:

 1) http://developer.berlios.de/
 PRO: supports Subversion and CVS
 CON: no compiler farm aviable

 2) http://sourceforge.net/
 PRO: extensive compiler farm aviable
 PRO: known throughout the universe ;)
 CON: only CVS (quite unstable at times)

 3) http://dsource.org/
 PRO: the current center of open sourced D
 CON: currently only Subversion ( Brad is working on Track integration)

CON: Bandwidth - my company is generously supplying it now, but won't if it affects the ability for people in our office to do work. Other than mirroring, any ideas on how to deal with this? Are there open-source friendly server farms out there for the downloads portion of dsource.org?

SourceForge has a mirror farm for the files you publish through them. BerliOS act as mirror for several others, so I guess they have the BW. So I guess that rules out dsource.org for serving any binary images. A great way to serve such big files is with BitTorrent or other P2P... Unless that's outlawed soon? Right after software patents kill OS. :-( --anders
Feb 02 2005
prev sibling parent reply David Friedman <d3rdclsmail_a_ _t_earthlink_d_._t_net> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1

 Anders F Björklund schrieb am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:22:55 +0100:
 | Last year some time, I wrote on this group:
 |
 |> Maybe it's time for a new home page for GDC,
 |> with all the requirements and also binaries -
 |> Perhaps set up a project up at SourceForge ?
 |
 |
 | There's the RPMS for various Linux distributions,
 | a DMG disk image with PKG packages for Mac OS X,
 | and other things that could need some hosting...
 | (some hundred megs in disk space + the bandwidth)
 |
 |
 | This old project seems to need to die, as well:
 | http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/

 Andrew C. Oliver ?

 | Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been
 | updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002")

 Jan Knepper ?

 | It's not exactly bringing in more people to D.
 | --anders

 Let's sum up the current URLs.

 http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/
 David Friedman - GDC release snapshots

 http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/gdc-0.10-3.nosrc.rpm
 Anders F Björklund - RPMs

 What we need is a focal point with:
 - - lots of bandwith to waste (binary RPMS etc)
 - - bug / RFE / patch tracker
 - - a revision control system (e.g. Subversion) for the source code

 Potential solutions:

 1) http://developer.berlios.de/
 PRO: supports Subversion and CVS
 CON: no compiler farm aviable

 2) http://sourceforge.net/
 PRO: extensive compiler farm aviable
 PRO: known throughout the universe ;)
 CON: only CVS (quite unstable at times)

 3) http://dsource.org/
 PRO: the current center of open sourced D
 CON: currently only Subversion ( Brad is working on Track integration)

CON: Bandwidth - my company is generously supplying it now, but won't if it affects the ability for people in our office to do work. Other than mirroring, any ideas on how to deal with this? Are there open-source friendly server farms out there for the downloads portion of dsource.org? BA

If that's the case, I would lean towards using SourceForge -- at least for binaries.
 Thomas
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

 iD8DBQFCAM6T3w+/yD4P9tIRAjtVAKCT9ZMU9pXux+gYZwZI404dxaWrYgCdGOZl
 1cHgV01ctX+5VueZD4RaKbs=
 =yE4e
 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Feb 02 2005
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
David Friedman wrote:

 CON: Bandwidth - my company is generously supplying it now, but won't 
 if it affects the ability for people in our office to do work.  Other 
 than mirroring, any ideas on how to deal with this?  Are there 
 open-source friendly server farms out there for the downloads portion 
 of dsource.org?

If that's the case, I would lean towards using SourceForge -- at least for binaries.

Unfortunately, "gdc" is taken by the GTK+ version of DC++, but I guess the old "brightd" could be put to use - or a brand new project started if necessary ? (I have 4 myself) http://sourceforge.net/register/ --anders
Feb 03 2005
parent reply Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 David Friedman wrote:
 
 CON: Bandwidth - my company is generously supplying it now, but won't 
 if it affects the ability for people in our office to do work.  Other 
 than mirroring, any ideas on how to deal with this?  Are there 
 open-source friendly server farms out there for the downloads portion 
 of dsource.org?

If that's the case, I would lean towards using SourceForge -- at least for binaries.

Unfortunately, "gdc" is taken by the GTK+ version of DC++, but I guess the old "brightd" could be put to use - or a brand new project started if necessary ? (I have 4 myself) http://sourceforge.net/register/ --anders

during the most recent year). Perhaps he would be amenable to a change? (Well, unlikely, but if you are considering sourceforge, it should be investigated.)
Feb 03 2005
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Charles Hixson wrote:

 Unfortunately, "gdc" is taken by the GTK+ version of DC++,
 but I guess the old "brightd" could be put to use - or a
 brand new project started if necessary ? (I have 4 myself)

But the current owner doesn't seem to be using it (no activity during the most recent year). Perhaps he would be amenable to a change? (Well, unlikely, but if you are considering sourceforge, it should be investigated.)

David's project, he gets to decide. My SourceForge alias is "afb". --anders
Feb 04 2005
prev sibling parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
If that's the case, I would lean towards using SourceForge -- at least 
for binaries.

How about "release" sourcecode snapshots and corresponding binaries on sourceforge?
Mar 20 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Mark T wrote:

 How about "release" sourcecode snapshots and
 corresponding binaries on sourceforge? 

David has said he will look at setting up a project for hosting, after next GDC release... (not sure if it's going to be on SourceForge, or on BerliOS perhaps http://www.berlios.de/) --anders
Mar 20 2005
prev sibling parent Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Why not GNU Savannah?

-- 
...........
Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org
  
Mar 24 2005
prev sibling parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
In article <4200CE94.5020600 kuehne.cn>, Thomas Kuehne says...
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Anders F Björklund schrieb am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:22:55 +0100:
| Last year some time, I wrote on this group:
|
|> Maybe it's time for a new home page for GDC,
|> with all the requirements and also binaries -
|> Perhaps set up a project up at SourceForge ?
|
|
| There's the RPMS for various Linux distributions,
| a DMG disk image with PKG packages for Mac OS X,
| and other things that could need some hosting...
| (some hundred megs in disk space + the bandwidth)
|
|
| This old project seems to need to die, as well:
| http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/

Andrew C. Oliver ?

If someone wants to take over that project for GDC purposes, I doubt Mr. Oliver or sourceforge would mind. You might try contacting him through his sourceforge e-mail.
| Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been
| updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002")

Right. It hasn't been updated at all.
Jan Knepper ?

I think Mr. Knepper might be in charge of opend.org, but I never tried to contact him directly. I did try contacting someone throught the comments form http://www.opend.org/Request.html to add an updated link to DIG, but I never received a response. (I guess I give up easily.) jcc7
Feb 02 2005
parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert Nemec-online.de> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:

| Doesn't seem like http://www.opend.org has been
| updated in years, either ? ("Latest News: 2002")

Right. It hasn't been updated at all.
Jan Knepper ?

I think Mr. Knepper might be in charge of opend.org, but I never tried to contact him directly.

At least the domain is registered to him (check at http://www.internic.net/whois.html for his phone number and address)
 I did try contacting someone throught the comments form
 http://www.opend.org/Request.html to add an updated link to DIG, but I
 never received a response. (I guess I give up easily.)

Feb 02 2005