D - D vs. C#

reply Aaron England <aarone NO.SPAM.hawaii.edu> writes:
I've read the FAQ and it mentions C++ vs. D and Java vs. D, what strict
advantages does D have over C#?
Jan 12 2003
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> writes:
The big one is D has templates now, C# has them planned for v2.0.  Other
than that, they're pretty close feature-wise from what little I know about
C#.  Obviously M$ is strongly backing C#.

Sean

"Aaron England" <aarone NO.SPAM.hawaii.edu> wrote in message
news:Xns930133D4A3C8aaronehawaiiedu 63.105.9.61...
 I've read the FAQ and it mentions C++ vs. D and Java vs. D, what strict
 advantages does D have over C#?

Jan 12 2003
I don't know a lot about C#. But one very large difference is C# requires a
very large VM runtime and is isolated from the machine. This makes it
difficult (impractical?) to write system apps and small utilities with C#.
C# doesn't have contracts or unit testing, which are a major feature of D. I
don't think its array semantics approach the flexibility and power of D's.

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> wrote in message
news:avronh$vo3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The big one is D has templates now, C# has them planned for v2.0.  Other
 than that, they're pretty close feature-wise from what little I know about
 C#.  Obviously M$ is strongly backing C#.

 Sean

 "Aaron England" <aarone NO.SPAM.hawaii.edu> wrote in message
 news:Xns930133D4A3C8aaronehawaiiedu 63.105.9.61...
 I've read the FAQ and it mentions C++ vs. D and Java vs. D, what strict
 advantages does D have over C#?

Jan 12 2003
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> writes:
You're right on those points.  The need for VM isn't crucial to the language
and I see no reason why they can't strap on a backend that generates native
code in the future.  Obviously you'd have to take advantage of the C# unsafe
blocks to do any systems work.  I really don't like C#'s syntax for
pointers.

IntPtr ip = new IntPtr(myaddress);

Makes me very claustrophobic.  C# needs way too much of the "new" keyword I
think.

Sean

news:avsdqg$452$2 digitaldaemon.com...