D - ClassInfo question.

reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Is the .classinfo property not implemented or partially implemented at
this point?  It seems that it provides no useful information right now.
Since there isn't any documentation on it, I don't know that I'm using
it correctly.
below is the test program that I wrote to take a look at it, but all
that it outputs is:

4
Object 004140A0
4
4
Object 008A2EE0

which isn't amazingly helpful, since print()'ing a class object seems
to do very little, honestly.  (I'm assuming that the number is a pointer
or reference to some static value for the class?

What state is classinfo at? What are your goals for it? I can think of
some useful things to do with it, but in it's current, undocumented
state, it seems like more of a placeholder.  Please let me know if I'm
missing something.

Evan

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

class TestClass
{
private:
     int testInt;
     TestClass* next, parent;

public:
     int GetTestInt()
     {
	return testInt;

int main (char[][] args)
{
     TestClass test = new TestClass;

     ClassInfo ci = TestClass.classinfo;

     printf("%d\n", ci.size);

     ci.print();

     printf("%d\n", test.size);

     printf("%d\n", TestClass.size);

     test.print();

     return 0;
}
Dec 05 2002
ClassInfo will eventually be expanded to support complete information about
the class, but at the moment it has just enough in it too keep the runtime
working, you can see the members in object.d.

"Evan McClanahan" <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> wrote in message
news:asnhup$2qo1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Dec 14 2002
parent reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
 ClassInfo will eventually be expanded to support complete information about
 the class, but at the moment it has just enough in it too keep the runtime
 working, you can see the members in object.d.
So, something like a list of all of the types of the classes? That's all that I can think of that would be holding back some sort of generic serialization stuff for the language at the moment. Something like that would also have a nice impact on the garbage collection stuff that we were talking about earlier. Any idea when it will go in? Evan
Dec 15 2002
"Evan McClanahan" <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> wrote in message
news:ati7eb$26ju$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So, something like a list of all of the types of the classes?
A list of all the members, offsets, and types.
  That's
 all that I can think of that would be holding back some sort of generic
 serialization stuff for the language at the moment.  Something like that
   would also have a nice impact on the garbage collection stuff that we
 were talking about earlier.  Any idea when it will go in?
At the moment, I'm trying to get DMC++ to compile Boost. When that is successful, I'll turn back to D and start digging at the small mountain of issues about it <g>. I need to clone myself...
Dec 15 2002
Walter wrote:
 "Evan McClanahan" <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> wrote in message
 news:ati7eb$26ju$1 digitaldaemon.com...

So, something like a list of all of the types of the classes?
A list of all the members, offsets, and types.
 That's
all that I can think of that would be holding back some sort of generic
serialization stuff for the language at the moment.  Something like that
  would also have a nice impact on the garbage collection stuff that we
were talking about earlier.  Any idea when it will go in?
At the moment, I'm trying to get DMC++ to compile Boost. When that is successful, I'll turn back to D and start digging at the small mountain of issues about it <g>. I need to clone myself...
I'd offer to help professionally (HAH!) this coming summer, but I don't really have the skills to do any sort of low level compiler work. You're doing a great great job, and doing an amazing amount of work, considering that you're just one person. Since naysayers and complaints generally dominate online forums, just thought that I'd offer and explicit word of support. Evan
Dec 16 2002
"Evan McClanahan" <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> wrote in message
news:atkanj$18ho$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'd offer to help professionally (HAH!) this coming summer, but I don't
 really have the skills to do any sort of low level compiler work.
 You're doing a great great job, and doing an amazing amount of work,
 considering that you're just one person.  Since naysayers and complaints
   generally dominate online forums, just thought that I'd offer and
 explicit word of support.
Thanks. Just for perspective, ask some other compiler vendors how many people work on just their C++ compiler <g>.
Dec 16 2002