D - Pointers

reply "Syd Barrett" <sydbarrett74%REMOVE%THIS% hotmail.com> writes:
I just read a very interesting document on 'smart pointers' vis a vis C++.
Anyone care to comment?

http://www.animats.com/papers/languages/strictpointers.html

---
parent reply "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> writes:
"Syd Barrett" <sydbarrett74%REMOVE%THIS% hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:alpois$1e1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I just read a very interesting document on 'smart pointers' vis a vis C++.
 Anyone care to comment?

 http://www.animats.com/papers/languages/strictpointers.html
This page worth the effort to read it. I always wanted those features in C++. The semantic rules, the syntax could be improved (with some help from the compiler). Note the interesting usage of the "auto" keyword: Just the opposite of the current D raii proposed syntax. But it came as a suprise to me: anyone actually considering the possibility of a "next major revision of C++" ?
"Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in message
news:am4a39$1kfn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 But it came as a suprise to me: anyone actually considering the
possibility
 of a "next major revision of C++" ?
I think there's a strong possibility that any next version of C++ is going to look at D for new features.
Sep 16 2002
parent "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
D is more free for development in more areas then C++. C++ must remain C/C++
backwards compatable. However, there are many things in D that C++ could
use.

news:am5g85$2vsm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Sandor Hojtsy" <hojtsy index.hu> wrote in message
 news:am4a39$1kfn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 But it came as a suprise to me: anyone actually considering the
possibility
 of a "next major revision of C++" ?
I think there's a strong possibility that any next version of C++ is going to look at D for new features.
Sep 17 2002