D - resizing arrays

reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Everyone has pointed out that the current implementation of array resizing
is too slow to be useful - the always copy semantics just aren't good
enough. Various remedies were proposed, most of which added bloat or slowed
down loops. The reason for the copy semantics to begin with were to deal
with the cases of resizing a slize out of a larger array.

So, perhaps this can be fixed by just a specification change - don't resize
slices. While this may seem wrong, it was already the case. For example:

char[] a;
char[] b = a[0..3];

Now, let's resize b. Do a[0..3] and b[0..3] still point to the same memory?
Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the implementation.

If we write the rule as: If any slices are made of an array, and either the
original array or any of the slices are resized, the resulting relationship
of the resized array with the original layout is implementation defined.

What that means is, if you're going to resize an array and there are slices,
make a copy of the array with .dup before resizing it, so that there are no
slices on it.

(Note: since resizing does not free memory, there isn't a problem with
dangling references to free'd memory. There is also no issue with a possible
interior pointers only to an array, the gc is designed to regard interior
pointers as valid references to an object.)
Sep 06 2002
next sibling parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
news:alb8qn$1pea$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So, perhaps this can be fixed by just a specification change - don't
resize
 slices. While this may seem wrong, it was already the case. For example:

 char[] a;
 char[] b = a[0..3];
I suggested, something simular to this before, and I like the idea. One vote from me.
Yes, I think it was you!

news:albudv$tgr$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Walter wrote:

 Everyone has pointed out that the current implementation of array resizing
 is too slow to be useful - the always copy semantics just aren't good
 enough. Various remedies were proposed, most of which added bloat or slowed
 down loops. The reason for the copy semantics to begin with were to deal
 with the cases of resizing a slize out of a larger array.
I've done a mano a mano comparison on endemic access of the length property. Using my code generator, there's a large amount of variability for both sides. Converting the code to C with GCC, it's a simple "I don't give a damn". I can only force a difference if I make the length volatile, which is a silly handycap. Length can be optimised same as any other struct, only moreso. You claim that length is dirtied too often to be viably sequestered away by the optimiser. No it isn't. Passing an array _pointer_ is rare, passing as an _out_ parameter is rare. Passing an array itself is common, but if the array is resized in there then it obviously won't alter the array the loop is dealing with and the code generator doesn't need to deal with it. It is just not common for the array being looped on to be dirtied; good optimisation material. To put it another way, if your code generator pretends to optimise but creates significantly worse code using the ownership bit than without outside of fixed, unrealistic tests, it's broken.
 So, perhaps this can be fixed by just a specification change - don't resize
 slices. While this may seem wrong, it was already the case. For example:

 char[] a;
 char[] b = a[0..3];

 Now, let's resize b. Do a[0..3] and b[0..3] still point to the same memory?
 Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the implementation.

 If we write the rule as: If any slices are made of an array, and either the
 original array or any of the slices are resized, the resulting relationship
 of the resized array with the original layout is implementation defined.

 What that means is, if you're going to resize an array and there are slices,
 make a copy of the array with .dup before resizing it, so that there are no
 slices on it.
I don't understand how this helps your situation. What do you intend to do with the change? For that matter, could you spell out what this does change? The standard is fuzzy here.
"Burton Radons" <loth users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:3D799369.5010305 users.sourceforge.net...
 You claim that length is dirtied too often to be viably sequestered away
 by the optimiser.
Not exactly, I said it was hard for the optimizer to prove that the length has not changed within the loop. Pulling out loop invariants is standard for advanced optimizers, but it isn't easy to write them.
 To put it another way, if your code generator pretends to optimise but
 creates significantly worse code using the ownership bit than without
 outside of fixed, unrealistic tests, it's broken.
Check this out. Here's some C code: ------------------------------------------ struct Array { int length; char *ptr; }; int loop(struct Array a) { int i; int sum = 0; for (i = 0; i < (a.length & 0x7FFFFFFF); i++) sum += a.ptr[i]; return sum; } ------------------------------------------- Compiled without optimization: _loop: enter 8,0 push EBX push ESI xor EAX,EAX mov -4[EBP],EAX mov -8[EBP],EAX LE: mov ECX,8[EBP] and ECX,07FFFFFFFh cmp ECX,-8[EBP] jle L2E mov EBX,0Ch[EBP] mov ESI,-8[EBP] movsx EDX,[ESI][EBX] add -4[EBP],EDX inc dword ptr -8[EBP] jmp short LE L2E: mov EAX,-4[EBP] pop ESI pop EBX leave ret ---------------------------------- Compiled with optimization: _loop: push EAX mov EAX,8[ESP] xor ECX,ECX push EBX xor EDX,EDX and EAX,07FFFFFFFh push ESI cmp EAX,ECX push EDI jle L26 mov EBX,EAX L17: mov EDI,018h[ESP] movsx ESI,[EDI][EDX] add ECX,ESI inc EDX cmp EBX,EDX jg L17 L26: pop EDI mov EAX,ECX pop ESI pop EBX pop ECX ret ----------------------------- So, you see, it does pull the mask out of the loop. The trouble is, it took me years to get all that to work right without bugs - and it took years for other C compiler vendors to catch up with me and implement the equivalent. The next problem is if the dynamic array is actually a reference, such as if it's inside a class definition, it becomes almost impossible to prove the .length is loop invariant. Every assignment through a pointer and every function call must be assumed to invalidate all referenced data.
Sep 06 2002
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
That's what I think sucks about C and C++;  the language assumes the worst.
I'd rather it be more restrictive about what you can do and lean toward
allowing the optimizer more flexibility.  Gently tell the programmer not to
write wicked tricky crap.  ;)   Or if they persist, insist on them saying
exactly what they're doing explicitly so the optimizer can tell exactly
what's going on.

news:alcb1f$255r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:algcfk$2khe$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 That's what I think sucks about C and C++;  the language assumes the
worst.
 I'd rather it be more restrictive about what you can do and lean toward
 allowing the optimizer more flexibility.  Gently tell the programmer not
 write wicked tricky crap.  ;)   Or if they persist, insist on them saying
 exactly what they're doing explicitly so the optimizer can tell exactly
 what's going on.
Yeah, I've learned that through bitter experience trying to optimize C. You've always got to assume the worst. You can't even make use of const as being constant (one of the reasons I dropped const as a modifier in D, it looks good but is quite useless. The same goes for volatile.)
Sep 08 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Walter wrote:

 What that means is, if you're going to resize an array and there are slices,
 make a copy of the array with .dup before resizing it, so that there are no
 slices on it.
My vote goes here!
Sep 07 2002
parent "Robert W. Cunningham" <FlyPG users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Pavel Minayev wrote:

 Walter wrote:

 What that means is, if you're going to resize an array and there are slices,
 make a copy of the array with .dup before resizing it, so that there are no
 slices on it.
My vote goes here!
Perhaps arrays should have a "been sliced" bit, so that the .dup on resizing a sliced array could be implicit. It would also be good if compile-time and run-time tests could detect and remark upon attempts to resize sliced arrays then go ahead and do an automatic .dup followed by the resize. It seems to be the flip side of GC, where instead of reclaiming unused memory, D would allocate extra memory for you if you forget to do so manually. Just as run-time array index checking can be disabled in D, so should the warning issued with an attempt to resize a sliced array. For me, the main use would be to ensure I craft lean&mean code, since I intend to use D in embedded systems (where the GC would largely be idle). However, if I have a bug in my system where I do attempt to resize a sliced array, I would still want the operation to succeed in the safest way possible, even if it means allocating extra memory. If anything more sophisticated than a "been sliced" bit is needed, then the data shouldn't be in a "naked" array, but instead should be a properly designed object with an appropriate set of methods to completely control allocation, use, and reallocation. -BobC
Sep 08 2002
[...]

I've pondered what the semantics of a "copy on write" array would be. COW is a virtual memory device where two virtual pages can point to the same physical page as long as neither is modified. This is very common after fork()ing a process...both processes have identical page tables until one or the other writes. The write fails (page fault) and the memory manager makes a second copy of the page in question, which is writable, and then re-enables the process. It would be cool to have an array type such that you would be referencing the original array until you tried to modify it, either by resizing it or changing one of the elements. I don't know what the syntax or usage would look like, though.
 I've pondered what the semantics of a "copy on write" array would be.
 COW is a virtual memory device where two virtual pages can point to the
 same physical page as long as neither is modified.  This is very common
 after fork()ing a process...both processes have identical page tables
 until one or the other writes.  The write fails (page fault) and the
 memory manager makes a second copy of the page in question, which is
 writable, and then re-enables the process.

 It would be cool to have an array type such that you would be
 referencing the original array until you tried to modify it, either by
 resizing it or changing one of the elements.  I don't know what the
 syntax or usage would look like, though.
Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would need hardware support.
Sep 09 2002
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <ddparnell bigpond.com> writes:
 I've pondered what the semantics of a "copy on write" array would be.
 COW is a virtual memory device where two virtual pages can point to the
 same physical page as long as neither is modified.  This is very common
 after fork()ing a process...both processes have identical page tables
 until one or the other writes.  The write fails (page fault) and the
 memory manager makes a second copy of the page in question, which is
 writable, and then re-enables the process.

 It would be cool to have an array type such that you would be
 referencing the original array until you tried to modify it, either by
 resizing it or changing one of the elements.  I don't know what the
 syntax or usage would look like, though.
Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would need hardware support.
The RDS implementation of the Euphoria language does this implictly. An array is copied as a reference until it is modified, at which time a physical clone is made. It makes for very speedy array passing in parameters and for temporary intermediate arrays. --------- Cheers, Derek Parnell
"Derek Parnell" <ddparnell bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:1103_1031628855 news.digitalmars.com...
 The RDS implementation of the Euphoria language does this implictly. An
array is copied as a
 reference until it is modified, at which time a physical clone is made. It
makes for very speedy
 array passing in parameters and for temporary intermediate arrays.
Javascript also does copy-on-write. But the performance is terrible compared with typical C. Hardware support would make it much more practical.
Sep 09 2002
prev sibling parent reply Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Walter wrote:

 Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would need
 hardware support.
Strings in Delphi use copy-on-write without any special hardware. =) And strings are just arrays of characters...
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:aljvp8$1drj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

 Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would need
 hardware support.
Strings in Delphi use copy-on-write without any special hardware. =) And strings are just arrays of characters...
What's the performance like on: for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) a[i] = 'c'; Would that copy the array 1000 times?
Sep 09 2002
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
A writable array could be a subtly different type than a nonwritable one,
and the check could happen during the conversion between the two types.

int[1000] a;
int[] b = a; // slice or reference
// at this point a and b point to the same memory.
// Neither a nor b is resizable so long as there's more than one active
reference.
for (a[])
    a[] = 0; // fill with zeros
// copy happens here as b transitions from normal slice to writable slice
for (b[])
    b[]++; // fill with ones
// now a is an array of 1000 zeros and b is an array of 1000 ones.

Wierd syntax, but kinda cool.  Terse.  How often do you refer to the same
thing by more than one name?  And if you do, you *really* want the compiler
to manage it for you, to make sure you get it right.  I'd way rather the
language be safe than fast, and coming from me I can assure you that means
alot.  It hurts to say it but it's true.  It doesn't do anyone any good to
go 2000 MPH if it's straight toward a cliff.

news:alk4qv$1jnq$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

 Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would
need
 hardware support.
Strings in Delphi use copy-on-write without any special hardware. =) And strings are just arrays of characters...
What's the performance like on: for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) a[i] = 'c'; Would that copy the array 1000 times?
"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:alk8ub$1pna$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Wierd syntax, but kinda cool.  Terse.  How often do you refer to the same
 thing by more than one name?  And if you do, you *really* want the
compiler
 to manage it for you, to make sure you get it right.  I'd way rather the
 language be safe than fast, and coming from me I can assure you that means
 alot.  It hurts to say it but it's true.  It doesn't do anyone any good to
 go 2000 MPH if it's straight toward a cliff.
I've been thinking that maybe the answer is like array bounds checking - additional checks that can be turned off for the release version.
Sep 10 2002
Walter wrote:

 What's the performance like on:

     for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
         a[i] = 'c';

 Would that copy the array 1000 times?
Nope. It uses reference counting, and does a copy only if a single string is referenced twice or more. By the way, when I was writing my own BASIC, I first ignored copy-on-write completely. Later, it turned out that it was a major source of slowdown (mostly when string was function argument). Then I implemented Delphi-like reference counted copy-on-write... the result was about 30% speedup for most programs (and for some it was like 70%)!
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:alkro8$2g4b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:
 What's the performance like on:

     for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
         a[i] = 'c';

 Would that copy the array 1000 times?
Nope. It uses reference counting, and does a copy only if a single string is referenced twice or more.
Ok, I see. That is the right semantics if you're doing copy on write.
Sep 10 2002
 Walter wrote:

 Copy-on-write for arrays would be really cool, but I think it would need
 hardware support.
Strings in Delphi use copy-on-write without any special hardware. =) And strings are just arrays of characters...
What's the performance like on: for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) a[i] = 'c'; Would that copy the array 1000 times?
Couldn't resist the challenge :) With respect to Euphoria, it wouldn't copy the array because nothing else is referencing it. I tested the speed and with a 1000 iterations of the above code I got 0.05 seconds. So I doctored it to force referencing, thus... --- sequence a,b,c atom e -- Create a 100 element array, zero-filled. b = repeat(0, 100) -- start the timer. e = time() -- repeat the test 1000 times for q = 1 to 1000 do -- Test begins-- -- Deallocate an array a = {} -- Append 1000 items, thus growing the array each time. for i = 1 to 1000 do -- Each item is an array of 98 elements sliced from 'b' a = append(a,b[2..99]) -- copy (reference) the new element c = a[i] -- change it's 1st element, thus forcing a physical copy. c[1] = 'c' end for end for -- stop the timer and print the duration. printf(1, "%f\n", time()-e) ---- This took 4.06 seconds. When I commented out the "c[1] = 'c'" line, it took 3.08 seconds. Euphoria is an interpreted language, so I would expect much better times if this strategy was used in D. -------------- cheers, Derek Parnell
Ok, it doesn't copy the array 1000 times. But at least it needs to check
1000 times to see if it needs to copy it <g>.
Sep 12 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in
news:alb8qn$1pea$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Everyone has pointed out that the current implementation of array
 resizing is too slow to be useful - the always copy semantics just
 aren't good enough. Various remedies were proposed, most of which
 added bloat or slowed down loops. The reason for the copy semantics to
 begin with were to deal with the cases of resizing a slize out of a
 larger array.

 So, perhaps this can be fixed by just a specification change - don't
 resize slices.
So let me see if I have this right. If slice size should not be changed then it leaves open the possibility that slice length can be a loop invariant. If the length is invariant then techniques like a bit flag can be used to efficiently to distinguish between arrays and slices.
"Patrick Down" <pat codemoon.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9284B5AAB7F25patcodemooncom 63.105.9.61...
 So let me see if I have this right. If slice size should not be
 changed then it leaves open the possibility that slice length can
 be a loop invariant. If the length is invariant then techniques
 like a bit flag can be used to efficiently to distinguish between
 arrays and slices.
The compiler doesn't know if any random dynamic array is a slice or an original.
Sep 09 2002
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
Maybe it should.  Which reference has the power to resize an array?  The
auto reference.  The others are all slices and can't resize the array thru a
slice.

There are so many ways to get into trouble with slices as they exist now..
resize an array out from under some slices to it, resize a slice of a larger
array.  I'd rather have the language guard against this.

It would almost have to enter the type system to guarantee enforcement.
There should be some class difference between a slice and a real array.
Slices are definitely reduced functionality ... maybe dynamic array is
really a special class of slice that can be resized or modified.  Writable
fixed array is a slice with a write operation.  Dynamic array is a writable
slice that can change size as well.  Slicing an array should really obtain
some kind of lock against resizing of the original array, and the slice's
destructor releases that lock.

Isn't a lock kinda like the opposite of a reference count?  Interesting
viewpoint though... a lock will prevent the auto-destroy from deleting an
object it would otherwise collect.  If everything just incremented on
obtaining a reference, test-and-decremented when releasing it at scope exit
or before assignment, and if zero destroying it... seems simple enough at
least.  Just disallow circular references.  Impossible to emulate this kind
of thing in D without overloading the assignment operator or copy
constructor type of stuff C++ lets you do.

news:aljctp$8rt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Patrick Down" <pat codemoon.com> wrote in message
 news:Xns9284B5AAB7F25patcodemooncom 63.105.9.61...
 So let me see if I have this right. If slice size should not be
 changed then it leaves open the possibility that slice length can
 be a loop invariant. If the length is invariant then techniques
 like a bit flag can be used to efficiently to distinguish between
 arrays and slices.
The compiler doesn't know if any random dynamic array is a slice or an original.
There's another problem:

    char[] b;
    char[] a = ...;
    b = a;
    a.length += 10;    // uh-oh, what is b[] referring to now?

(Note that this is not a memory corruption problem.)

Essentially, what you want is to guarantee that any array undergoing a
resize is the only pointer into that allocated memory block.

news:alk6ro$1nbg$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Walter wrote:

 There's another problem:

     char[] b;
     char[] a = ...;
     b = a;
     a.length += 10;    // uh-oh, what is b[] referring to now?
a should be copied here, so b and a would become two different arrays.
Sep 10 2002
prev sibling parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in
news:alb8qn$1pea$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Everyone has pointed out that the current implementation of array
 resizing is too slow to be useful - the always copy semantics just
 aren't good enough.
Ok the problem stated is: 1. Current implementation of array resizing is too slow to be useful
 Various remedies were proposed, most of which
 added bloat or slowed down loops. The reason for the copy semantics to
 begin with were to deal with the cases of resizing a slize out of a
 larger array.
Understood

 So, perhaps this can be fixed by just a specification change - don't
 resize slices.
How does this solve the problem?
"Patrick Down" <pat codemoon.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9284D2EE6549Dpatcodemooncom 63.105.9.61...
 How does this solve the problem?
It can be resized in place, rather than by copying.
Sep 10 2002
parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in news:alk7l3$1oc8$1
 digitaldaemon.com:

 "Patrick Down" <pat codemoon.com> wrote in message
 news:Xns9284D2EE6549Dpatcodemooncom 63.105.9.61...
 How does this solve the problem?
It can be resized in place, rather than by copying.
In order to resize an array in place you need to know how much extra capacity is beyond the current length of the array. Do you have a way of finding out the extra capacity for an array?
"Patrick Down" <pat codemoon.com> wrote in message
news:Xns92855730266AApatcodemooncom 63.105.9.61...
 In order to resize an array in place you need to
 know how much extra capacity is beyond the current
 length of the array.  Do you have a way of finding
 out the extra capacity for an array?
Yes. The garbage collector can figure it out. See the file \dmd\src\phobos\gc2\gcx.d, and look at the capacity() function.
Sep 10 2002
next sibling parent Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in news:almj8h$1k8u$2
 digitaldaemon.com:
 length of the array.  Do you have a way of finding
 out the extra capacity for an array?
Yes. The garbage collector can figure it out. See the file \dmd\src\phobos\gc2\gcx.d, and look at the capacity() function.
Thanks, that was the missing part of the puzzle for me.
Sep 11 2002
prev sibling parent Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Walter wrote:

 Yes. The garbage collector can figure it out. See the file
 \dmd\src\phobos\gc2\gcx.d, and look at the capacity() function.
Why not make it a read-only array property? .capacity or something? Could be useful sometimes...
Sep 11 2002