www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D - D user base?

reply Jason Mills <jmills cs.mun.ca> writes:
Does anybody have any idea how large the D user base is? e.g. how many
times have the various compilers been downloaded?

The vim/gvim D syntax file I uploaded to vim online a few weeks ago has
been downloaded 44 times. Given that only a fraction of D users use vim
as their text editor, and only a fraction of them know that the d.vim
syntax file is on vim online, and only a fraction of those decided to
download it, then I think the D language may be gaining a small user
base who are at least experimenting with the language.
Aug 29 2002
next sibling parent andy <acoliver apache.org> writes:
Jason Mills wrote:
 Does anybody have any idea how large the D user base is? e.g. how many
 times have the various compilers been downloaded?
 
 The vim/gvim D syntax file I uploaded to vim online a few weeks ago has
 been downloaded 44 times. Given that only a fraction of D users use vim
 as their text editor, and only a fraction of them know that the d.vim
 syntax file is on vim online, and only a fraction of those decided to
 download it, then I think the D language may be gaining a small user
 base who are at least experimenting with the language.
 

or one enthusiastic guy with a bad connection tried 44 times to download it ;-)
Aug 29 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
It's really hard to say. The D specs have very high hit counts. Once
templates and such are implemented, I plan on submitting it to Cnet which
should really give things a boost <g>.

"Jason Mills" <jmills cs.mun.ca> wrote in message
news:akkuje$303c$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Does anybody have any idea how large the D user base is? e.g. how many
 times have the various compilers been downloaded?

 The vim/gvim D syntax file I uploaded to vim online a few weeks ago has
 been downloaded 44 times. Given that only a fraction of D users use vim
 as their text editor, and only a fraction of them know that the d.vim
 syntax file is on vim online, and only a fraction of those decided to
 download it, then I think the D language may be gaining a small user
 base who are at least experimenting with the language.

Aug 29 2002
parent reply andy <acoliver apache.org> writes:
I'd also recommend sending it to javalobby.org as an "alternative to java"

Walter wrote:
 It's really hard to say. The D specs have very high hit counts. Once
 templates and such are implemented, I plan on submitting it to Cnet which
 should really give things a boost <g>.
 
 "Jason Mills" <jmills cs.mun.ca> wrote in message
 news:akkuje$303c$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 
Does anybody have any idea how large the D user base is? e.g. how many
times have the various compilers been downloaded?

The vim/gvim D syntax file I uploaded to vim online a few weeks ago has
been downloaded 44 times. Given that only a fraction of D users use vim
as their text editor, and only a fraction of them know that the d.vim
syntax file is on vim online, and only a fraction of those decided to
download it, then I think the D language may be gaining a small user
base who are at least experimenting with the language.


Aug 29 2002
parent Jason Mills <jmills cs.mun.ca> writes:
 andy wrote:
 I'd also recommend sending it to javalobby.org as an "alternative to java"
 
 Walter wrote:
 
 It's really hard to say. The D specs have very high hit counts. Once
 templates and such are implemented, I plan on submitting it to Cnet which
 should really give things a boost <g>.


Of course a D update could be made on slashdot at about the same time as the above.
Aug 30 2002