D - curiosity (OOC)

reply "Carlos" <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
First of all... sorry Juan Carlos if I'm violating your privacy anyhow, but
I'm just too curious.
But... I want to know how close to this:
http://www.jcabs-rumblings.com/JCAB.html, people in this newsgroup are. Do
you guys think that's a lot? Have you done more? (I know Walter has)
I mean, I'm just a 20 years old student who knows Basic (QB, VB), most
C/C++, some Delphi, Java and HTML, and starting to deal with D, and that's
it. I thought that was a lot, but when I read all that, I was stunned.
Well, should I say congratulations? I mean, if I wanted to (I don't want to,
don't ask) put an objective in my life, and that was knowing, doing, etc.,
what Juan Carlos does... God, I would have a long way to go! (add the fact
that Spain is far more advanced in computers than any country in Latin
America, where I live).
Don't flame me for posting this... it's just that I'm too impressed.
Aug 21 2002
next sibling parent Mac Reiter <Mac_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ak21ck$2vse$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos says...
First of all... sorry Juan Carlos if I'm violating your privacy anyhow, but
I'm just too curious.
But... I want to know how close to this:
http://www.jcabs-rumblings.com/JCAB.html, people in this newsgroup are. Do
you guys think that's a lot? Have you done more? (I know Walter has)
About the same, though in different directions. Sounds like JCAB's projects were more fun (at least at the start and at the end of each -- I read enough Game Developer Magazine post-mortems to know what kind of hell game developers go through for most of their lives...), or at least more exciting, than mine. I think if you are really interested in learning, you should look for a full time job in a company small enough to pile the work on you and large enough to have interesting things to do. You'll learn stuff so fast you won't even realize what's happening. If you can maintain programming as a hobby as well (I share that with JCAB), you can learn even faster, because things that you discover at work can have bigger impact at home, and vice versa. For what it is worth, I am 31, and currently somewhat out of the actual programming loop at work. They pushed me up into some more architectural and design stuff (because I appear to have a knack for it), so I find myself spending more time at home working out the mental kinks... But I know that I learned more in the first year and a half that I was in my company than in all of my official schooling combined. Academics have some good ideas, but they rarely know how to do anything realistic with them. I think that is why I appreciate the pragmatic nature of D so much. Keep an open mind, always look for challenges, and you'll surprise yourself with how much you can learn. Mac
Aug 22 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
I'm currently one of the lead programmers at Treyarch, recently shipped Tony
Hawk 2x for the Xbox game console.  I've been around for a long time as
well, and have known JCAB for years (online only unfortunately haven't had
the pleasure of finding him at E3).  JCAB's much more prolific than I am
though.  We started up the OpenAL project together if I remember correctly.

The cool thing about D is that the language itself seems really easy to
learn;  very suitable for a beginner.  Should be far easier to learn than
C++, and now that operator overloading and templates are on the way should
be almost as powerful.  The D community is still small relative to C++ but
growing.  I'm surprised how many people are disillusioned with C++.  When I
first started C++ I was overwhelmed by the complexity but enthralled by the
power.  Now I just want something better.  D seems better to me in nearly
all respects.

Sean

"Carlos" <carlos8294 msn.com> wrote in message
news:ak21ck$2vse$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ak35qt$22qt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The cool thing about D is that the language itself seems really easy to
 learn;  very suitable for a beginner.  Should be far easier to learn than
 C++, and now that operator overloading and templates are on the way should
 be almost as powerful.  The D community is still small relative to C++ but
 growing.  I'm surprised how many people are disillusioned with C++.  When
 first started C++ I was overwhelmed by the complexity but enthralled by
the
 power.  Now I just want something better.  D seems better to me in nearly
 all respects.
Anything people can do to promote D will be beneficial to us all, as it will convince smart people that D is popular enough to make it worth investing time and effort in. Some examples: 1) Write a web page about D (many of you have already done this, thanks!). The more independent web pages on D there are, the more prominent D will be in Google searches. etc., point out how D is a superior solution. 3) Mention D expertise on your resume's. 4) Do a followup posting on Slashdot (D was slashdotted in Aug 2001, but the compiler didn't exist then).
Aug 22 2002
next sibling parent Pavel Minayev <evilone omen.ru> writes:
5) Write an article about D for some journal. =)

I might try...
Aug 22 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent Toyotomi <io219 attbi.com> writes:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:23:58 -0700, "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com>