D - Spurious Error - Requires Win32

reply Mac Reiter <Mac_member pathlink.com> writes:
I have downloaded the DMD alpha compiler for Win32.  I also have the Dev CD of
DMC upgraded all the way through 8.29.  My "install" path is
s:\DevTools\DigitalMars\ (for DMC) and DMD is installed in the dmd directory
directly under DMC.  DMC and DMD \bin\ subdirectories are both in my path, with
DMC in front.  I assumed order wouldn't really matter, since the exe's in the
dmd\bin directory don't exist in DMC and vice versa.  I am running Windows 98 SE
in a VMware box (VMware shouldn't matter, but I'm trying to be complete...)

That's my setup, here's my problem:

If I open a dos prompt and type 'dmd', I get back usage info.  If I go to a
directory that has .d source files (\samples\d\) and type 'dmd hello.d', I get
"Requires Win32".  Here's the weird bit -- at any point after that, if I just
type 'dmd', I get "Requires Win32".

I *think* that DMD it touching a DOS behavior that Microsoft decided to be
paranoid about.  Win9x will switch its "normal" dos prompt support to a more
fully compliant dos box if it detects certain kinds of activity.  Once in such a
box, programs cannot detect that they are actually on a Win32 machine.  It is
also possible that it does this for the entire DOS subsystem, not just for a
particular box.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is it just me, or is this a known Win98SE
issue?  There is a possibility that it has something to do with being inside a
VMware box, but that *should* be transparent...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I like the look of D, but I can't get
anything to compile...

Thanks,
Mac
Aug 14 2002
dmd.exe is a vanilla Win32 executable. The "requires Win32" is the DOS stub
executable. Your runtime environment is trying to run dmd as a DOS program -
I don't know why.

news:ajej3p$2g5e$1 digitaldaemon.com...