D - The D Journal - first issue ...

reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew thedjournal.com> writes:
Fellow D-ers

We had a great initial response of enthusiasm for The D Journal in
June/July, but unfortunately have had very few submissions, which leaves our
proposed initial September issue release looking more than a little
optimistic. I can imagine four reasons for the lack of submissions:

1. Nobody is interested.
2. Everyone is very busy
3. D itself is too new
4. People are not yet confident in D to want to put pen to paper

Given the enthusiasm that was observed when the journal was mentioned, I
don't think that case 1 applies. I think 2, 3 and 4 together probably
encapsulate the issue. For myself, I have been too busy over the last two
months to put my money where my mouth is and write a D article (I have to
confess I haven't even been able to do much D during that time). I should
mention that we've had quite a lot of Notes ideas from a couple of people,
and a number of people have offered to do technical editing, just no article
proposals. :(

Therefore I think there are three possible actions:

1. Scrap the idea
2. Put out a modest initial journal soon, perhaps with some Tech Notes, a
Word From Walter, and any other contributions that we can strong arm a
maleable few into giving.
3. Wait until D 1.0 has been released, presuming that the stability we will
get from that version will lend itself to a writing spree.

My preference is 3, assuming 1.0 is not too far into the future. I certainly
don't think we should scrap the idea - I think the idea was good, just, it
seems, a little early.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this. There's certainly no point in
continuing without interested readers _and_ writers.

Thanks

Matthew

P.S. If any of you simply MUST see some D in print, I have an article

November or December's issue of C/C++ User's Journal (www.cuj.com).
Hopefully this can be another small step in spreading the word ...
Aug 06 2002
next sibling parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
Speaking for myself, I've just been too busy (and will for the rest of the
year). I have always thought that August was very optimistic. I think the D
journal should be given at around 6 months with constant newsgroup reminders
and nags. Also I think after the first one, new additions should come out
every two (or more) months (at least to begin with).

The article I was thinking of writting myself was a "porting from C++ to D"
article. And to write it as a port one of my medium sized programs over. As
I said, I've have no time. (Infact I'm working on 4 assignments of my 18
assignments, at the same time as taking to group members over the phone at
this very moment.)

Also getting volunteers is always a problem with these things, especially
on-line.

But, I'm a realist.

PS - I would still really like to see a D Jounal, but it's going to be a
battle.

"Matthew Wilson" <matthew thedjournal.com> wrote in message
news:aiq6gs$ij0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
"anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
news:aiq8oc$ks5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Speaking for myself, I've just been too busy (and will for the rest of the
 year). I have always thought that August was very optimistic. I think the
 journal should be given at around 6 months with constant newsgroup
reminders
 and nags. Also I think after the first one, new additions should come out
 every two (or more) months (at least to begin with).

 The article I was thinking of writting myself was a "porting from C++ to
D"
 article. And to write it as I port one of my medium sized programs over.
[...]

Aug 07 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
I like option 2. Starting out modestly is not a bad way at all to start. I
suppose it's like starting an exercise program - going suddenly from couch
potato to 3 hours a day in the gym just never works <g>.
Aug 07 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Alix Pexton" <Alix seven-point-star.co.uk> writes:
Well, I'm back in my office now after a long and quite productive vacation,
ready to serve the journal once more...
--
Alix Pexton...

Webmaster, The D Journal
web: www.thedjournal.com
email:webmaster thedjournal.com
"The D journal, a work in progress..."
Aug 14 2002
"Alix Pexton" <Alix seven-point-star.co.uk> wrote in message
news:01c2439d$95bfd9e0$0dba01d5 jpswm...
 Well, I'm back in my office now after a long and quite productive
vacation,
 ready to serve the journal once more...
I learned long ago to never judge any computer related endeavor by what happens in August - nothing ever happens in August because everyone is on vacation! Anyhow, hope you had a good time!
Aug 14 2002
prev sibling parent Toyotomi <io219 attbi.com> writes:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:13:42 +1000, "Matthew Wilson"
4. People are not yet confident in D to want to put pen to paper
I think many people are just waiting... I don't think people feel they can sit down and start using D in real world applications... So they just wait. They may have also been burned by hope-inducing languages before. ;-p
Aug 17 2002