D - but report

reply "Dario" <supdar yahoo.com> writes:
____________________
class Derived: Base
{}

class Base
{}
_____________________

Compiler output:
Asserion failure: 'structsize >= 8' on line 412 in file 'glue.c'

We can't write a derived class before its super one. Is this intentional? If
it is, it seems very strange, doesn't it? Has this been reported already?
Jul 04 2002
"Dario" <supdar yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ag1vgt$1n7l$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ____________________
 class Derived: Base
 {}

 class Base
 {}
 _____________________

 Compiler output:
 Asserion failure: 'structsize >= 8' on line 412 in file 'glue.c'

 We can't write a derived class before its super one. Is this intentional?

 it is, it seems very strange, doesn't it? Has this been reported already?

It is intentional, but you should have gotten a diagnostic rather than the assert notice.
Jul 04 2002
parent reply "Dario" <supdar yahoo.com> writes:
 class Derived: Base
 {}

 class Base
 {}
 _____________________

 Compiler output:
 Asserion failure: 'structsize >= 8' on line 412 in file 'glue.c'

 We can't write a derived class before its super one. Is this

 If it is, it seems very strange, doesn't it? Has this been reported

 It is intentional, but you should have gotten a diagnostic rather than the
 assert notice.

You wrote that the D source is interpreted as a whole. This looks like an exception. (And you hate exception, don't you?) I know that there is no need for this to change: nobody is writing a base class after a derived one. But IMHO this shouldn't be forbidden.
Jul 04 2002
"Dario" <supdar yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ag2d5m$2594$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It is intentional, but you should have gotten a diagnostic rather than

 assert notice.

exception. (And you hate exception, don't you?) I know that there is no need for this to change: nobody is writing a base class after a derived one. But IMHO this shouldn't be forbidden.

Yeah, I hate exceptions. But there did turn out to be some chicken-and-egg problems.
Jul 05 2002