D - Phobos and a committee

reply "Brian Bober" <netdemonz yahoo.com> writes:
There are so many different compression themes such as bzip2, gnu zip, etc
that adding zip to phobos doesn't make any sense, it should be something
that is provided as a cross-platform library external to the language.

Also, please make sure Phobos _has_ to be open-source so that we can
actually see what is causing the errors inside the run-time code.

- D (especially Phobos) should also be extensible and also have a committee
deciding what's added and removed to it. That way, it won't be set in stone
and won't fail in the same way as C Runtime (which didn't even have an ANSI
way to create a new directory)
- This committee should be voluntarily and free, and those who do the most
and are considered the most knowledgable (and fair in listening to others'
opinions) should be chosen by the entire group of volunteers. I am saying
that I hope this committee isn't based off money or anything else of that
nature. It should be an open standard where everyone's ideas are welcome,
but in the interest of actually getting work done, an elected group makes
the final decisions.

The committee could be named "Olympus Committee" ;-) and the elected
positions should be based off merit and not money. Corporations (such as
Microsoft) and large projects (Linux) can consult with this committee, and
also the elected group, but in order to be making the decisions, they should
be elected like anyone else. Who is to say that a representative from
Microsoft has better ideas about the project than anyone else? I will repeat
for the third time to stress that positions should be based on merit, and if
its been shown you know what you are doing, and elected for that reason,
then you are obviously qualified.
Jun 04 2002
parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Brian Bober" <netdemonz yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:adjvup$2kqu$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 There are so many different compression themes such as bzip2, gnu zip, etc
 that adding zip to phobos doesn't make any sense, it should be something
 that is provided as a cross-platform library external to the language.
zlib is far the most widely used compression library.
 Also, please make sure Phobos _has_ to be open-source so that we can
 actually see what is causing the errors inside the run-time code.
Well, Phobos is open-sourced already...
Jun 05 2002