D - language features

reply "cblack01" <cblack01 cox.net> writes:
Hey,

A quick question.  I like C#'s implementation of reflection. Does D do
reflection?

Also, Does D do variable parameters?  C# has a good convention for variable
parameters using the params keyword like this:

void Print(params string stuffToPrint[])
{
    foreach(oneThing in stuffToPrint) System.Console.WriteLn(oneThing);
}

Then you would call it like this:

Print("Printing ", "variable ", "parameters");

I know it seems like I'm bragging on C#, but I'm not really.  I would never
use it since I do a lot of scientific applications that are too
computationally intensive for an interpreted language.  C# is too slow.
I've used it.  I do think that C# has beautiful syntax, though.

Thanks,

Craig
May 28 2002
parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
"cblack01" <cblack01 cox.net> wrote in message
news:ad0t37$a9c$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I know it seems like I'm bragging on C#, but I'm not really.  I would

 use it since I do a lot of scientific applications that are too
 computationally intensive for an interpreted language.

People keep bring this up and it's un-true. Although C# can be interpreted but many versions can also compile code with the same or better efficiency then C++.
May 31 2002
parent "cblack01" <cblack01 cox.net> writes:
 I know it seems like I'm bragging on C#, but I'm not really.  I would

 use it since I do a lot of scientific applications that are too
 computationally intensive for an interpreted language.

People keep bring this up and it's un-true. Although C# can be interpreted but many versions can also compile code with the same or better efficiency then C++.

C# does NOT compile down to binary code. It uses a JIT and it is very slow. I know. I've done the benchmarking myself. I tested it to be about 5 times slower than native C++ with simple object-oriented test programs. I suspect it would be even slower for more complex projects. The only way C# performs comparably well is with non-object-oriented simple monolithic programs, like a simple for loop. Then C# has good performance. Don't trust benchmarks that say, "C# is as fast as C++", or even "C# is only twice as slow as C++". This is just not true. Word to your momma. Perhaps one day there will be a native code compiler for C# but I suspect not in the near future.
Jun 01 2002