D - Awesome D is

reply Andy Walker <Andy_member pathlink.com> writes:
Congratulations.

First, the site is well laid out and thoughtful.  Very nice.

Second, the language specs are terrific.  If emulation is the highest form of
compliment, then I paid it to you yesterday.  I went to lunch with a friend of
mine and we laid out our needs in a language, that turned out very similar to D
in many ways.

I am not sure what words to use to search for the following topics.  If I am
rehashing an old discusstion, please direct me to it, and accept my apologies
for the noise.

Naming conventions: Do not allow "_" (single underscore) to begin any
identifier.  Instead, require it ("_") to bein every keyword.  If a token begins
with "_", it is either a keyword, or wrong.  This makes using powerful tools
like "grep" much easier.  It  also tends to reduce newbie errors.  There will be
a lot of them with a new language.

Changing control structures.  Use:
{ _if ( true ) a = b; } instead of   if ( true ) a = b; or if ( true ) { a = b ;
}
{ _else c = d; } instead of  else c = d; or else { c = d; }
{ _elseif ( true ) e = f; }
for  _else and _elseif blocks, each must immediately follow their contrasted _if
or _elseif block.
This syntax is unamgiguous to the developers who must read it.  Also, this is
simpler to parse.  These three keywords must be the first token in the block or
they are wrong.

{ _switch ( myInteger ) ... }       instead of     switch ( myinteger )  { ...
}
{ _case ( myCase ) ... }      instead of    case ( myCase) : {  ... }
{ _case ( myCase, myOtherCase, myLastCase ) ... }  instead of   case
(myCase):case(myOtherCase):case(myLastCase): { ... }
{ _default ... } instead of default: { ... }
{ _defaultcase ( my Case, myOtherCase ) ... }  instead of
case(myCase):case(myOtherCase):default: {... }
There is no case-to-case fallthrough here, not ever.  I find "case" fallthrough,
controlled with breaks to be wordy and dangerous. My admittedly anecdotal
experience is that almost all of the blocks of code that I see following case
statements are terminated with break statements.  Every time I have seen a
"fallthrough", ie without a break statement, it has been inadequately commented
or documented.  Again, keywords _switch,  _case, _default, and _defaultcase are
first token in the block, or they are wrong.

{ _do ( int i, i =1 ; i < imax ; i++ ;  a[i] < amax )  ... }  instead of   for (
.... ) , while (....), or do ... while(...);.
Note the additional post-body predicate test statement inside the parenthesis.
The following are all allowed ( with syntax exactly like C in the use of "," and
";":
{ _do (  )  ...  }, -- nothing between parenthesis.  This loop runs until it
executes a break.
{ _do ( int i, i = 0  ) ... }, -- initialize.  This loop runs a long time as
well.
{ _do ( int i, i = 0; i < imax ) ... }  -- initialize and test.  Still no
autoincrement.
{ _do ( int i, i = 0; i < imax ; i++) ... }  This should look familiar.
{ _do ( int i, i = 0;; i++; i < imax ) ... }  use a post-body predicate instead
of a pre-body predicate.  Didn't you ever want to use the construction:
for ( i = 0;;i++) { ... } while ( a[i] < amax ) ;
The above sytax has that meaning.
In other words, each of the statements inside the parenthesis are optional.  If
following parenthesis statements are not present, the statement terminator, ";",
may be left out as well.
Here is how to code a while( i < imax ){ ....} .
{ _do (; i< imax ) ... }
Here is how to code a do{ ...} while ( ... );
{ _do ( ;;; a[i] < amax ) ... }
I am not blind to the fact that the do ... while alternative superficially
violates the "no empty statements" rule.

Formatting: add a type's format specification to the general information about
the type.  For new types, use the base type as the default, but also allow it to
be specified.
e.g.  typedef string [ 20 ] knrtext ( %20.20lc );  (meaning: new type "name",
default formatting, use 20 char field, blank padded to 20 characters, left
justified.
Used like this:
knrtext  HeWo;
HeWo = "Hello World"
_printf( "\n >>>%D<<< \nThis is a sample of default formatting for D \n", HeWo
);
giving this result:
Hello World         <<<
This is a sample of default formatting for D Sorry. I couldn't resist. My apologies to Messrs. Kernigan and Ritchie, and C programmers everywhere. Add a default format for structures as well, so that the following does not produce parseable garbage, but a powerful and easily evaluated output: _debug _printf ( "\n %D\n", dataStruct ); Add format-time loop control, like so: _printf ( "\n %(20 5.2d) ", a(i)(i = 0;i<20;i++;a(i) < amax ) ); /* prints a row of twenty numbers */ This does not look right, somehow, although it gets the point across. As usual for me, compliments, constructive criticisms, and nasty comments will all be warmly received. Andy Walker jawalker stl.quik.com copyright 2002 by J. Andrew Walker
May 25 2002
parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
I think?? the "_" (underscore) issue has been already discussed and
discarded by Walter himself (using it for a slightly differn't topic).
Apart from looking bad, the needless reduntancy and the extra two handed
typing need for the "_", Walter wanted to make D easy to learn and convert
from c and c++ and using "_" for every keyword works against this.   We
don't put an underscore in front of every noun (although we capital some of
them).

Infact, the "_" almost put me of reading all of your other comments but see
below...

Sorry to be so tough but, many of the changes you suggest make are unnessary
and make it harder for C/C++ programmers transition.

"Andy Walker" <Andy_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:acpm3g$2g2q$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I would like my "if-else" commands in differen't colours from my "class" keyword in my IDE anyway.
 Changing control structures.  Use:
 { _if ( true ) a = b; } instead of   if ( true ) a = b; or if ( true ) { a
= b ;
 }
 { _else c = d; } instead of  else c = d; or else { c = d; }
 { _elseif ( true ) e = f; }
 for  _else and _elseif blocks, each must immediately follow their
contrasted _if
 or _elseif block.
 This syntax is unamgiguous to the developers who must read it.  Also, this
is
 simpler to parse.  These three keywords must be the first token in the
block or
 they are wrong.
 { _switch ( myInteger ) ... }       instead of     switch ( myinteger )
{ ...
 }
[...]
That would require even more typing, I doubt the bracket supporters would go for this one. I would like a way to stop case fall though (ie using anothor name other then switch - "switchbreak") , but this does not do it for me.
[...]
I would like the last ";" to be optional in "for" statements and the step incrementation to default to "++" off the variable declared in the first part of the for. ie for (int n; n<total) instead of, for (int n; n<total; n++) I dissagree with the use of it in "do" statments, as you have presented.
[...]
It's an ok (I'd give a 1%) idea, but there are alternatives, and personally I don't like the look of it. There otherways to do this type of formatting exist already. Why not have that format in the printf instead, infact It's already possible with printf. One advantage of the code above is resuse, but if your a smart C programmer, I'd make little dif to your D program.
 Add a default format for structures as well, so that the following does
not
 produce parseable garbage, but a powerful and easily evaluated output:
 _debug _printf ( "\n %D\n", dataStruct );

 Add format-time loop control, like so:
 _printf ( "\n %(20 5.2d) ", a(i)(i = 0;i<20;i++;a(i) < amax )   );   /*
prints a
 row of twenty numbers */
 This does not look right, somehow, although it gets the point across.
The idea is cool, but syntax is not. More like _printf ( "\n %(20 5.2d) ", for(i = 0;i<20;i++) return a(i) ); I'd like to be able to write function on the fly like java allows. Of couse this reduces code reusablily and I'd only want to uses it for small bits of code. printf ( "\n %d ", int (a) {return for(i = 0;i<20;i++)a++}} ); //Note, would have differn't output from the above code. or printf ( "\n %d ", int get(a) {return for(i = 0;i<20;i++)a++}} );
 As usual for me, compliments, constructive criticisms, and nasty comments
will
 all be warmly received.
OK
 Andy Walker
 jawalker stl.quik.com
 copyright   2002 by J. Andrew Walker
May 27 2002
parent reply Andy Walker <Andy_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <acstdh$2jj3$1 digitaldaemon.com>, anderson says...
I think?? the "_" (underscore) issue has been already discussed and
discarded by Walter
<snip> Ok. Discussion over as far as I am concerned. <snip>
Sorry to be so tough but, many of the changes you suggest make are unnessary
and make it harder for C/C++ programmers transition.
As you can tell from my previous posts, I have worked with a LOT of languages. These days, the most common background is C, not FORTRAN or BASIC. A terrific idea from a compilation point of view is worthless if the vast majority of programmers will not use the language because of it. BTW, I do not consider your comments "tough" at all. None of them insult my intelligence. You just have a different point of view. I am still, at heart, a FORTRAN programmer, and do not see with the eyes of a native "C" developer. ( Every two months or so I code a for loop like so: for ( i =0, i < 20, i++ ) ... Note the commas, not semicolons. :-P ) <snip>
I would like my  "if-else" commands in differen't colours from my "class"
keyword in my IDE anyway.
I like multi color editors. Very helpful. <snip proposed MAJOR bracket syntax changes >
That would require even more typing, I doubt the bracket supporters would go
for this one.
I would like a way to stop case fall though (ie using anothor name other
then switch - "switchbreak") , but this does not do it for me.
I think I code "C" the way Pavel codes it, with lots of brackets: if ( a == b) { c = f(z); } else { c = f(z+1); } I wholeheartedly agree, not pretty. But at 2:30 AM, even when stupid for lack of sleep, I can match brackets. I also never worry about whether I need to add brackets if I add a line. I find I do not have time to worry about that. Bugs consume me. This is what I get with my alternative: {if ( a==b) c = f(z); } {else c = f(z+1); } Applied to a switch-case construction: {switch ( tokenchar [0] ) {case ( '_' ) processKeyword ( tokenchar ); } {case ( 'a', 'b','c','d','e','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','o','p','q','r','s','t','u','v','w','x','y','z') processIdentifier ( tokenchar ); } {default throw invalidSyntaxFlag; } } ( I am not rehashing Keyword-leading underscores. This was just the first example I could find ) <snip proposed do-loop alternatives >
I would like the last ";" to be optional in "for" statements and the step
incrementation to default to "++" off the variable declared in the first
part of the for.

ie
for (int n; n<total)
instead of,
for (int n; n<total; n++)

I dissagree with the use of it in "do" statments, as you have presented.
Whether "do" or "for" makes no difference to me. To me, the multiple loop types are redundant. Having to find the post-condition "while" at the end of a block makes me lose my train of thought while trying to understand a block of code. I have noticed that it distracts native "C" programmers as well. I am not partial to the implied auto increment. I have coded with the following style, and generally find it makes things very clear for other developers. E.g. processing two arrays, whose indexes are not similar: for ( i = 0, j = 37 ; i < imax ; i++, j += 13 ) { new_a[ i ] = structArray[ j ].old_a ; }
 Formatting: add a type's format specification to the general information
about
 the type.  For new types, use the base type as the default, but also allow
it to
 be specified.
 e.g.  typedef string [ 20 ] knrtext ( %20.20lc );  (meaning: new type
"name",
 default formatting, use 20 char field, blank padded to 20 characters, left
 justified.
 Used like this:
 knrtext  HeWo;
 HeWo = "Hello World"
 _printf( "\n >>>%D<<< \nThis is a sample of default formatting for D \n",
HeWo
 );
 giving this result:
Hello World         <<<
This is a sample of default formatting for D Sorry. I couldn't resist. My apologies to Messrs. Kernighan and Ritchie,
and C
 programmers everywhere.
It's an ok (I'd give a 1%) idea, but there are alternatives, and personally I don't like the look of it. There otherways to do this type of formatting exist already. Why not have that format in the printf instead, infact It's already possible with printf. One advantage of the code above is resuse, but if your a smart C programmer, I'd make little dif to your D program.
I suppose what I really want is format type and data type syntax checking, with some declaration-time control. In "C", if I change a data type from a two-byte short to a four-byte long, I must manually check every line of code for format changes, including every header. I always miss one or two. I never get a warning, and when I see unexpected output, I always assume I screwed up an algorithm, not the format. I then waste a lot of time proving I did nothing wrong but the format. It drives me to distraction. I am to the point where I am ready to write a whole new language because this is something the computer should handle, not me. Oh. Wait. That's why we are here. I really like the individual cell formatting allowed by spreadsheets. I can rapidly and correctly modify formats to get just the right "look". ( I find the "C++" stream formatting controls look like hieroglyphics. I always have to stop and decode them. Again, I also have watched native "C" developers do the same thing. Every time I look at implementation details, stream formatting brings in a lot of extra executable code. A lot of things about "C++" are major advances, but stream outputs are not one of them. Flames may be directed to my email address, below. )
 Add a default format for structures as well, so that the following does
not
 produce parseable garbage, but a powerful and easily evaluated output:
 _debug _printf ( "\n %D\n", dataStruct );

 Add format-time loop control, like so:
 _printf ( "\n %(20 5.2d) ", a(i)(i = 0;i<20;i++;a(i) < amax )   );   /*
prints a
 row of twenty numbers */
 This does not look right, somehow, although it gets the point across.
The idea is cool, but syntax is not. More like _printf ( "\n %(20 5.2d) ", for(i = 0;i<20;i++) return a(i) );
Now I see my problem from before. More like printf ( "\n %(20. %5.2d)", for(i=0;i<20;i++)return a(i) ); /* this variation will require ")" in format strings to be escaped to be printed */ printf( "\n %(20 %5.2d%)", for(i=0;i<20;i++)return a(i) ); /* this variation does not, but it is really ugly */ My first construction borrowed from PL/1. Is this from Java?
 I'd like to be able to write function on the fly like java allows. Of couse
this reduces code reusablily and I'd only want to uses it for small bits of
code.
printf ( "\n %d ",  int (a) {return for(i = 0;i<20;i++)a++}} ); //Note,
would have differn't output from the above code.

or

printf ( "\n %d ",  int get(a) {return for(i = 0;i<20;i++)a++}} );
Sorry, but I do not see it. How does this reduce reuse? The format string, the data, and the control loop are all tightly interconnected from a logic point of view. As far as I can tell, no matter how you code it, if any one of these things is changed, the whole process will have to be reviewed.
next sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Andy Walker" <Andy_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:actfkn$30t$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I think I code "C" the way Pavel codes it, with lots of brackets:
 if ( a == b)
 {
 c = f(z);
 }
 else
 {
 c = f(z+1);
 }
Er... that's exactly the opposite to what I'd write: if (a == b) c = f(z); else c = f(z + 1); No brackets! =)
May 27 2002
next sibling parent reply "Martin M. Pedersen" <mmp www.moeller-pedersen.dk> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:actg00$3eo$1 digitaldaemon.com...

     if (a == b)
         c = f(z);
     else
         c = f(z + 1);

 No brackets! =)
c = f(z+(a==b)); No if! :-)
May 27 2002
next sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Martin M. Pedersen" <mmp www.moeller-pedersen.dk> wrote in message
news:acthvu$5b9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 c = f(z+(a==b));

 No if! :-)
Hmm... never thought of it. But you are definitely right. I'll remember this, a great piece of code indeed. =) ...now if we could also get read of loops...
May 27 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert ix.netcom.com> writes:
On Mon, 27 May 2002 17:11:37 +0100, "Martin M. Pedersen"