D - new D site

reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
My old tiny D page had grown into the site! You can still get all
the stuff I've made, there, but there's also my D FAQ, and some
information on my D projects, including not-yet-released WinD.

Unfortunately, Russ is unable to provide hosting further, for
several reasons, so the site has moved to my ex-homepage,
http://int19h.tamb.ru. You can still access it via the old URL,
though - it'll redirect you there.
Mar 30 2002
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a86b4p$1elj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 My old tiny D page had grown into the site! You can still get all
 the stuff I've made, there, but there's also my D FAQ, and some
 information on my D projects, including not-yet-released WinD.

 Unfortunately, Russ is unable to provide hosting further, for
 several reasons, so the site has moved to my ex-homepage,
 http://int19h.tamb.ru. You can still access it via the old URL,
 though - it'll redirect you there.
Thanks! It's a cool web site. -Walter
Mar 31 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a86b4p$1elj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 My old tiny D page had grown into the site! You can still get all
 the stuff I've made, there, but there's also my D FAQ, and some
 information on my D projects, including not-yet-released WinD.

 Unfortunately, Russ is unable to provide hosting further, for
 several reasons, so the site has moved to my ex-homepage,
 http://int19h.tamb.ru. You can still access it via the old URL,
 though - it'll redirect you there.
Wow Pavel, it looks great! I liked the code example from WinD! So it seems you have decided on the event handling? You seem to be using a function pointer in combination with an object pointer? -- Stijn OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com http://OddesE.cjb.net _________________________________________________ Remove _XYZ from my address when replying by mail
Mar 31 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a8868m$2d6u$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Wow Pavel, it looks great!
 I liked the code example from WinD!
 So it seems you have decided on the event handling?
 You seem to be using a function pointer in
 combination with an object pointer?
Yes, it seems to be the best way for now!
Mar 31 2002
parent reply "J. Daniel Smith" <j_daniel_smith HoTMaiL.com> writes:

   Dan

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a88uv7$2q1e$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> wrote in message
 news:a8868m$2d6u$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Wow Pavel, it looks great!
 I liked the code example from WinD!
 So it seems you have decided on the event handling?
 You seem to be using a function pointer in
 combination with an object pointer?
Yes, it seems to be the best way for now!
Apr 01 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"J. Daniel Smith" <j_daniel_smith HoTMaiL.com> wrote in message
news:a89tgs$bmi$1 digitaldaemon.com...

I proposed it a hundred times already! Probably, I wasn't that convincing... =)
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a8a89q$hd7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "J. Daniel Smith" <j_daniel_smith HoTMaiL.com> wrote in message
 news:a89tgs$bmi$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Coincidence?
 Is it worth making this technique a standard part of the language like
 I proposed it a hundred times already!
 Probably, I wasn't that convincing... =)
The problem is I don't understand the problem. I've been buried with work lately, and haven't given that issue the attention it needs. -Walter
Apr 01 2002
next sibling parent "J. Daniel Smith" <j_daniel_smith HoTMaiL.com> writes:

(member-) function pointers; firing an event invokes each of the function
pointers.  With a bit of work, you can achieve similar functionality in C++,
although you need templates (and ideally partial template specialization)
for type-safety.  Building the feature directly into the language makes the

"roll your own").

   Dan

news:a8ad5n$r5c$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a8ad5n$r5c$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 The problem is I don't understand the problem. I've been buried with work
 lately, and haven't given that issue the attention it needs. -Walter
First of all, an example: class Button { event void onMouseMove(int, int); // event (pointer to function) ... void mouseMoved(int x, int y) { // raise event (will first call OK_MouseMove1, then OK_MouseMove2) onMouseMove(x, y); } } void OK_MouseMove1(int x, int y) // global event handler { ... } class MyForm: Form { Button OK; void OK_MouseMove2(int x, int y) // local event handler { ... } this() { OK.onMouseMove = OK_MouseMove1; // set event handler OK.onMouseMove ~= OK_MouseMove2; // add another handler } } Advantage of this approach is that you can make global, static, and nonstatic member functions event handlers - unlike usual function pointers, which only allow global and static functions. In most cases, event handler is actually part of the class, and now, to make it work, it needs to be declared static, and to get "this" pointer as one of explicit arguments: static void OK_MouseMove(Object self, int x, int y) { ... } Not only this requires typing "self.blablabla" all the time (or wrap the function into with-block), but you also have to cast self to whatever class it actually is...
Apr 01 2002
next sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Also, note that several handlers may be attached to a single
event slot. Practically, it's an array of pointers, not a
single pointer, and functions are called in straight order:

    event void onInit();
    void foo();
    void bar();
    void baz();

    onInit = &foo;             // set
    onInit = &onInit ~ &bar;   // add another
    onInit ~= &baz;            // one more
    onInit = onInit[0 .. 1] ~  // remove bar()
        onInit[2 .. 3];

    onInit();    // call foo(), then baz()
Apr 01 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jan Jezabek <jezabek poczta.onet.pl> writes:
I think that pointers to member functions (which as far as I know aren't
there in D) should be explicitly castable to a normal function pointer,
for example:

   class one
   {
     public:
       int x(int y);
   };

   typedef int (*FPTR)(void *, int);

   void main()
   {
     FPTR z = (FPTR) &one::x; // this will give an error
     one instance;

     z(&instance, 10); // same as instance->x
   }

If such cast was legal, it would solve your problem (of course I might
be wrong:). Of course it's quite inconvenient, and I would prefer using
delegates just as I preferred virtual functions over function pointers.

 Advantage of this approach is that you can make global, static, and
 nonstatic
 member functions event handlers - unlike usual function pointers, which
 only allow global and static functions. In most cases, event handler is
 actually part of the class, and now, to make it work, it needs to be
 declared static, and to get "this" pointer as one of explicit arguments:

     static void OK_MouseMove(Object self, int x, int y)

 Not only this requires typing "self.blablabla" all the time (or wrap the
 function into with-block), but you also have to cast self to whatever
 class it actually is...
Apr 02 2002
next sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Jan Jezabek" <jezabek poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:3CA9DC00.4070601 poczta.onet.pl...

 I think that pointers to member functions (which as far as I know aren't
 there in D) should be explicitly castable to a normal function pointer,
 for example:

    class one
    {
      public:
        int x(int y);
    };

    typedef int (*FPTR)(void *, int);

    void main()
    {
      FPTR z = (FPTR) &one::x; // this will give an error
      one instance;

      z(&instance, 10); // same as instance->x
    }
Don't forget that there is no fixed calling convention in D, functions might get called in a way different from methods, so this is not guaranteed to work...
Apr 02 2002