D - currency type

reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Walter, have you considered adding the "currency" data type
to D, like the ones found in VB or Delphi? Something like
this:

"Currency is a fixed-point data type that minimizes rounding
errors in monetary calculations. It is stored as a scaled 64-bit
integer with the four least-significant digits implicitly
representing decimal places."
Mar 05 2002
next sibling parent reply "Richard Krehbiel" <rich kastle.com> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a62k1m$2t64$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter, have you considered adding the "currency" data type
 to D, like the ones found in VB or Delphi? Something like
 this:

 "Currency is a fixed-point data type that minimizes rounding
 errors in monetary calculations. It is stored as a scaled 64-bit
 integer with the four least-significant digits implicitly
 representing decimal places."
It sounds like a 64 bit integer type to me. Which is the D "long" type. It's no big deal (to my mind, anyway) to use "long" and consider it to represent a number of hudredths of pennies. -- Richard Krehbiel, Arlington, VA, USA rich kastle.com (work) or krehbiel3 comcast.net (personal)
Mar 05 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Richard Krehbiel" <rich kastle.com> wrote in message
news:a62o9v$2v36$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 It sounds like a 64 bit integer type to me.  Which is the D "long" type.

 It's no big deal (to my mind, anyway) to use "long" and consider it to
 represent a number of hudredths of pennies.
It is actually represented by long internally, but the compiler should be able to convert it to and from other types properly: currency debt = 150.95; // stored as 15095 ... int i = debt; // i is now 151 float f = debt; // f is now 150.95 It's much more convenient than to divide and multiply it all the time yourself. It's also much cleaner.
Mar 05 2002
parent reply Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
Pavel Minayev wrote:
 "Richard Krehbiel" <rich kastle.com> wrote in message
 news:a62o9v$2v36$1 digitaldaemon.com...

It sounds like a 64 bit integer type to me.  Which is the D "long" type.

It's no big deal (to my mind, anyway) to use "long" and consider it to
represent a number of hudredths of pennies.
It is actually represented by long internally, but the compiler should be able to convert it to and from other types properly: currency debt = 150.95; // stored as 15095 ... int i = debt; // i is now 151 float f = debt; // f is now 150.95 It's much more convenient than to divide and multiply it all the time yourself. It's also much cleaner.
Gosh, if only we hadn't disallowed automatic conversion operators for user-defined classes, you could do that without expanding the language definition. :/ class currency { private: long cents; public: ... operator int(); operator float(); }; Much like every fixed-(binary)-point class I've written for platforms that don't have fast FPUs. <soapbox> I predict that for every feature C++ has that D doesn't (operator overloading, auto conversion operators, templates), at least one person is going to ask for a specific language feature (vector type, currency/fixed point/unit conversion types, specific container types) that would be easily be handled with the general feature. I'm not saying that putting vectors and associative arrays in the language is necessarily a bad thing. I just think that generalized language features are a good thing. </soapbox> -RB
Mar 05 2002
 I predict that for every feature C++ has that D doesn't
 (operator overloading, auto conversion operators, templates),
 at least one person is going to ask for a specific language
 feature (vector type, currency/fixed point/unit conversion
 types, specific container types) that would be easily
 be handled with the general feature.

 I'm not saying that putting vectors and associative arrays
 in the language is necessarily a bad thing. I just think
 that generalized language features are a good thing.

 </soapbox>
Agreed. HOWEVER, I'm not too sure I like the C++ versions of how they are implemented...so let's keep pondering syntax and paradigms. I bet that in time we'll come up with something that many/most of us like for each one... -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Mar 05 2002
prev sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3C8504D8.9000409 estarcion.com...

 Gosh, if only we hadn't disallowed automatic conversion
 operators for user-defined classes, you could do that
 without expanding the language definition. :/
However, for the sake of efficiency, it'd be better to provide a built-in implementation - just like it's done with complex.
Mar 05 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Christophe Bouchon" <cbouchon hotmail.com> writes:
Also from VB, the DECIMAL type is also very interesting: it's a 96 bits (12
bytes) unsigned integer, a sign  byte and a decimal négative power-of-10
byte -29...0, such that you can put the decimal point anywhere in the 29
decimal digits of this long long long (!) integer. These types are supported
through the OLE/COM VARIANT record and support routines are available in
oleaut32.dll: VarDec[A-Za-z0-9_]+ like VarDecAdd and VarCy[A-Za-z0-9_]+... A
good article is at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnguion/html/drgui042099.asp?frame=t
rue (Dr. GUI and COM Automation, Part 3: More on COM's Fabulous Data Types).
Reference is at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/automat/htm
_hh2/chap7_5alv.asp.

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in news message:
a62k1m$2t64$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter, have you considered adding the "currency" data type
 to D, like the ones found in VB or Delphi? Something like
 this:

 "Currency is a fixed-point data type that minimizes rounding
 errors in monetary calculations. It is stored as a scaled 64-bit
 integer with the four least-significant digits implicitly
 representing decimal places."
Mar 05 2002
parent "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Christophe Bouchon" <cbouchon hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:a63d2c$7fd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Also from VB, the DECIMAL type is also very interesting: it's a 96 bits
(12
Hi, I know that most people say you only need basic datatypes and from this you can build the others. Right, but why? If you want to see how powerfull a rich datatype system is I highly suggest to you to have a look at REBOL (http://www.rebol.com) It knows all things you will need in 90% of your applications. -- Robert M. Münch IT & Management Freelancer Mobile: +49 (0)177 2452 802 Fax : +49 (0)721 8408 9112 Web : http://www.robertmuench.de
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a62k1m$2t64$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter, have you considered adding the "currency" data type
 to D, like the ones found in VB or Delphi? Something like
 this:

 "Currency is a fixed-point data type that minimizes rounding
 errors in monetary calculations. It is stored as a scaled 64-bit
 integer with the four least-significant digits implicitly
 representing decimal places."
Why not just use 64 bit longs? The only thing to do is just plop down a decimal point when converting it to an ascii string.
Mar 11 2002
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Ah, I should have read the other replies before writing this. <g>

news:a6j2vt$1jv9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
 news:a62k1m$2t64$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter, have you considered adding the "currency" data type
 to D, like the ones found in VB or Delphi? Something like
 this:

 "Currency is a fixed-point data type that minimizes rounding
 errors in monetary calculations. It is stored as a scaled 64-bit
 integer with the four least-significant digits implicitly
 representing decimal places."
Why not just use 64 bit longs? The only thing to do is just plop down a decimal point when converting it to an ascii string.
Mar 11 2002
prev sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a6j2vt$1jv9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Why not just use 64 bit longs? The only thing to do is just plop down a
 decimal point when converting it to an ascii string.
double a = 1.5; long b = 1000; // suppose this is $10.00 long c = a + b; // should be $11.50...
Mar 11 2002