www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

D - Splitting the newsgroup (finally!) in respect of the increased traffic load

reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the volume, and
I
know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler updates
<G>
because of it.

I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

Votes?

For
---

Matthew

Against
-------
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Matthew wrote:

I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the volume, and
I
know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler updates
<G>
because of it.

I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

Votes?

For
---
  

170 emails in half a day...
Matthew

Against
-------
  

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
J Anderson wrote:
 Matthew wrote:
 
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the 
 volume, and I
 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler 
 updates <G>
 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should 
 have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

 Votes?

 For
 ---
  

170 emails in half a day...

J C Calvarese - I think the volume is stifling discussion.
 
 Matthew

 Against
 -------


-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Matthew wrote:

I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the volume, and
I
know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler updates
<G>
because of it.

I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
D.newbies and D.bugs groups.
  

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

 I don't know about these group names.  I mean I don't seen to many 
 bug-reports.  Parhaps
 D.feature
 D.newbies
 D.bugs

 or just D.feature and D.newbies

I would suggest something more like "D.howto" and "D.bugs".  If you say
newbie, some people will not go there because "they aren't newbies" even if
they fully intend to ask a newbie question.
  

Now that I think of it a bugs group would be good (you could search it for common bugs). Parhaps bugs could mean -this doesn't work- as well. That is not just compiler bugs. But that may cross the borders of how to. *Slightly off topic* It would be good if all error messages had a code. Then each bug code could be include in the subject line (a convention). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c66u2g$2kug$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 J Anderson wrote:

 Good idea!

Thanks. Every once and again I manage one.
 Now that I think of it a bugs group would be good (you could search it for

 Parhaps bugs could mean -this doesn't work- as well.  That is not just

That's a good point. Legitamize use of bugs for user bugs as well, and it might go better and cause less headaches. However, if it is left as bugs... "feature" might be good to sort out feature requests - that way you could look to see if it was already requested.
 *Slightly off topic* It would be good if all error messages had a code.

That could be quite useful. Reminds me - the compiler isn't translatable at all, is it? It would be great if you could use an import (or .h file...) for all language entries, and freely distribute that so localized compilers can be made for Spanish, German, etc. With this, adding tags to the error codes would not be as arduous - all the strings would just be in that file. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:

 Then each bug code could be include in the subject line (a convention).

That could be quite useful.

Reminds me - the compiler isn't translatable at all, is it?  It would be
great if you could use an import (or .h file...) for all language entries,
and freely distribute that so localized compilers can be made for Spanish,
German, etc.

With this, adding tags to the error codes would not be as arduous - all the
strings would just be in that file.

-[Unknown]
  

Well for C++ I always search google groups by the code. Users could also browse the codes already there and not need to post if the solution is already there. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c66u2g$2kug$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 J Anderson wrote:

 I don't know about these group names.  I mean I don't seen to many
 bug-reports.  Parhaps
 D.feature
 D.newbies
 D.bugs

 or just D.feature and D.newbies

I would suggest something more like "D.howto" and "D.bugs".  If you say
newbie, some people will not go there because "they aren't newbies" even if
they fully intend to ask a newbie question.

Now that I think of it a bugs group would be good (you could search it for

 Parhaps bugs could mean -this doesn't work- as well.  That is not just compiler

 *Slightly off topic* It would be good if all error messages had a code.  Then

Excellent point!! (Also need line numbers with every msg)
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
J Anderson wrote:
 Matthew wrote:
 
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the 
 volume, and I
 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler 
 updates <G>
 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should 
 have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.
  

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies

or just D.feature and D.bugs I'm still optimistic that the newbie "problem" could be alleviated by some better web pages. Instead of just listing the newsgroup on the front page of the Spec (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/intro.html), the FAQs could be mentioned in the same paragraph, such as PLEASE CHECK THE F.A.Q.s BEFORE YOU POST!!! -- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:

 J Anderson wrote:

 Matthew wrote:

 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the 
 volume, and I
 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly 
 compiler updates <G>
 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we 
 should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.
  

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies

or just D.feature and D.bugs I'm still optimistic that the newbie "problem" could be alleviated by some better web pages. Instead of just listing the newsgroup on the front page of the Spec (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/intro.html), the FAQs could be mentioned in the same paragraph, such as PLEASE CHECK THE F.A.Q.s BEFORE YOU POST!!!

D.problems. Another name alternative noob name .... D.help. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c66ud0$2kug$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 J C Calvarese wrote:

 J Anderson wrote:

 Matthew wrote:

 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the
 volume, and I
 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly
 compiler updates <G>
 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we
 should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies

or just D.feature and D.bugs I'm still optimistic that the newbie "problem" could be alleviated by some better web pages. Instead of just listing the newsgroup on the front page of the Spec (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/intro.html), the FAQs could be mentioned in the same paragraph, such as PLEASE CHECK THE F.A.Q.s BEFORE YOU POST!!!

D.problems. Another name alternative noob name .... D.help.

d.intro
Apr 21 2004
parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Matthew schrieb:
 d.intro

d.invtro, d.intro, d.demo, d.outro -eye
Apr 22 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66u3s$2l13$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 the FAQs could be mentioned in the same paragraph, such as PLEASE CHECK

 F.A.Q.s BEFORE YOU POST!!!

This is, of course, the downside to newsgroups, because you cannot have "rules" - although no one reads them anyway. Nor would they in this case. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:

 "J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
 news:c66u3s$2l13$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 
the FAQs could be mentioned in the same paragraph, such as PLEASE CHECK

THE
F.A.Q.s BEFORE YOU POST!!!

This is, of course, the downside to newsgroups, because you cannot have "rules" - although no one reads them anyway. Nor would they in this case. -[Unknown]

That's right. But people are finding out about the newsgroup somehow. I'm guessing it's from the Digital Mars website. They may choose to ignore the BOLD text. But I can dream . . . <random brilliant idea> On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first. </random brilliant idea> Any case, I'm just throwing out ideas. Walter's vote is worth a lot more than mine. -- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 <random brilliant idea>
 On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
 forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
 </random brilliant idea>

Well, considering I write forum software (www.simplemachines.org) this would of course be something I think would solve problems, but it also could increase load, bandwidth, etc. Of course, with that people still don't read things - but sometimes you do get lucky, and moderation is easier ;). -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:

"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...
  

<random brilliant idea>
On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
</random brilliant idea>
    

Well, considering I write forum software (www.simplemachines.org) this would of course be something I think would solve problems, but it also could increase load, bandwidth, etc.

threaded-forum (that is better then the one on digitalmars)?
Of course, with that people still don't read things - but sometimes you do
get lucky, and moderation is easier ;).

-[Unknown]

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

 I don't suppose there's a way to mirror a newsgroup like this in a 
 threaded-forum (that is better then the one on digitalmars)?

I'm not sure if there is, but I would expect there is. An example of an implementation I've seen is this: http://news.php.net/ But of course it has no searching tool.... this is something that cannot be done well without proper database, indexing, etc. What might be possible is to mirror the messages, but then advanced moderation and editing tools would be... problematic. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 <random brilliant idea>
 On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
 forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
 </random brilliant idea>

Well, we should perhaps offload some of this to dsource.org ...
Apr 21 2004
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c67023$2o6a$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 <random brilliant idea>
 On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
 forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
 </random brilliant idea>

Well, we should perhaps offload some of this to dsource.org ...

the dsource.org forums are unreadable. Ant
Apr 21 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Ant wrote:
 In article <c67023$2o6a$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
 
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...

<random brilliant idea>
On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
</random brilliant idea>

Well, we should perhaps offload some of this to dsource.org ...

Please don't! the dsource.org forums are unreadable. Ant

How are they "unreadable"? And there's a search function. That's more than the web interface can claim. -- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:

 Please don't!
 the dsource.org forums are unreadable.

 Ant

How are they "unreadable"? And there's a search function. That's more than the web interface can claim.

I know what you mean, but here's my 2cents anyway. With all the forums I've tried they: 1) are slower then a newsgroup (because it's a webpage of course) 2) don't show as many entries at once. It would be very hard to view the entire D newsgroup quickly as you'd have to keep clicking and clicking. (Sometimes you don't want to use find, you just want to browse). I think forums are good for small groups but not for large ones. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

 J C Calvarese wrote:
 
 Please don't!
 the dsource.org forums are unreadable.

 Ant

How are they "unreadable"? And there's a search function. That's more than the web interface can claim.

I know what you mean, but here's my 2cents anyway. With all the forums I've tried they: 1) are slower then a newsgroup (because it's a webpage of course) 2) don't show as many entries at once. It would be very hard to view the entire D newsgroup quickly as you'd have to keep clicking and clicking. (Sometimes you don't want to use find, you just want to browse). I think forums are good for small groups but not for large ones.

These are specifically problems with threaded forums, because the way of doing it can just be... slower. This is one of the reasons for more flat forum systems. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c67533$30e8$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J Anderson says...
J C Calvarese wrote:

 Please don't!
 the dsource.org forums are unreadable.

 Ant

How are they "unreadable"? And there's a search function. That's more than the web interface can claim.

I know what you mean, but here's my 2cents anyway. With all the forums I've tried they: 1) are slower then a newsgroup (because it's a webpage of course) 2) don't show as many entries at once. It would be very hard to view the entire D newsgroup quickly as you'd have to keep clicking and clicking. (Sometimes you don't want to use find, you just want to browse). I think forums are good for small groups but not for large ones.

They lack a simple list of the post headers. Ant PS yes I posted this twice
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c674a6$2uva$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
Ant wrote:
 In article <c67023$2o6a$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
 
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vp3$2mbs$2 digitaldaemon.com...

<random brilliant idea>
On the other hand, we could shut down the newsgroup and all go to a
forum where we wouldn't let anyone post without registering first.
</random brilliant idea>

Well, we should perhaps offload some of this to dsource.org ...

Please don't! the dsource.org forums are unreadable. Ant

How are they "unreadable"? And there's a search function. That's more than the web interface can claim.

that's good, but. They lack a simple list of the post headers. Ant PS yes I posted this twice
Apr 21 2004
parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
Ant wrote:

 They lack a simple list of the post headers.

Do they, then? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=8378.0 This is a post by me. As you can see, it has: - my name, and a link to get more information on me. - my position and some basic information about me. - ways of contacting me such as email, personal message, instant message handles, etc. - a link to my website. As well, administrators can see IPs. I don't see where any of the information you'd want in the headers of newgroups is missing from here. Most other forums provide similar amounts of information. Further, this information - including the signature - can automatically update when you change it. If you change the URL to your website because your host dropped you, there won't be a zillion dead links laying everywhere on the forum. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
it might be worthwhile specifically calling out something like
"compiler.bugs" and "code.bugs". Sure, there will be some overlap, but
hopefully it would be relatively easy for most folks to distinguish between
the two.

At least "code.bugs" will be listed before "compiler .bugs" (alphabetically)
so it may soak up some newbie stuff.

- Kris


"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c66t9a$2ivr$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the


know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler


because of it.

I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should


D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/

Apr 21 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Kris wrote:
 it might be worthwhile specifically calling out something like
 "compiler.bugs" and "code.bugs". Sure, there will be some overlap, but
 hopefully it would be relatively easy for most folks to distinguish between
 the two.
 
 At least "code.bugs" will be listed before "compiler .bugs" (alphabetically)
 so it may soak up some newbie stuff.

Like compile-time vs. run-time?
 
 - Kris
 
 
 "J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
 news:c66t9a$2ivr$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 
Matthew wrote:


I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the


volume, and I
know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler


updates <G>
because of it.

I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should


have
D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

I don't know about these group names. I mean I don't seen to many bug-reports. Parhaps D.feature D.newbies D.bugs or just D.feature and D.newbies -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/


-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c66vr4$2mbs$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 Like compile-time vs. run-time?

I meant "how-to fix my program" versus "the compiler generated bogus code". It's way, way too easy to read different meanings into short names, isn't it :-)
Apr 21 2004
parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Kris wrote:
 "J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
 news:c66vr4$2mbs$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 
Like compile-time vs. run-time?

I meant "how-to fix my program" versus "the compiler generated bogus code".

Ok, I get it.
 
 It's way, way too easy to read different meanings into short names, isn't it
 :-)

Maybe. It also could be that my eyes are crossed from trying to read all of these messages that suddenly appeared in the newsgroup. -- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the

 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler

 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

I would suggest something more like "D.howto" and "D.bugs". If you say newbie, some people will not go there because "they aren't newbies" even if they fully intend to ask a newbie question. Bugs can be problematic in any form, because it will be used for support as well... like, bugs in their own code. I've seen it too often.... but it may not be avoidable. Maybe dev would fix that, but it also causes other problems... Either way, assuming my vote counts, I agree it should be split up. Note: just saw "What groups?" by "J Anderson". It might be best to continue related discussion there... -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

I would suggest a fourth one "D.apps.devel" (and later D.apps.announce) Votes: For --- Matthew Ant Against -------
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stephan Wienczny <wienczny web.de> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the volume,
and I
 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler updates
<G>
 because of it.
 
 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.
 
 Votes?
 
 For
 ---
 
 Matthew

 
 Against
 -------
 
 

newbies won't asked there if it has that name. Call it D.questions or D.help
Apr 21 2004
parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
 For
 ---

 Matthew


 Against
 -------


And I agree with the 'd.help' name as opposed to 'd.newbies' and its ilk. -C. Sauls -Invironz
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com
| I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the
volume, and I
| know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler
updates <G>
| because of it.
|
| I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
| D.newbies and D.bugs groups.
|
| Votes?
|
| For
| ---
|
| Matthew
|

[adding previous ones]
J Anderson
J C Calvarese
Unknown
Ant
Stephan Wienczny
C. Sauls
Carlos Santander

| Against
| -------


-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the

 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler

 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

 Votes?

| For | ------- Matthew J Anderson J C Calvarese Unknown Ant Stephan Wienczny C. Sauls Carlos Santander Kris | Against | -------
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent Juan C <Juan_member pathlink.com> writes:
 Votes?

| For | ------- Matthew J Anderson J C Calvarese Unknown Ant Stephan Wienczny C. Sauls Carlos Santander Kris | Against | -------

cause _me_ more work so _you_ don't have to? How wude! (picture Jarjar) Besides, things will be misposted, or double-posted; so you'll have to read both as well and it'll take longer. Best solution is for a moderator to direct the messages to the appropriate list (ugh).
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
"Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> wrote in message
news:c673fo$2u1p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
 news:c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the

 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler

 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should


 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

 Votes?

| For | ------- Matthew J Anderson J C Calvarese Unknown Ant Stephan Wienczny C. Sauls Carlos Santander Kris

 | Against
 | -------

Need to at least split library & lang and then maybe bugs, hopes ;) & questions d <- general d.lang d.lang.bugs d.lang.wishes d.lib d.lib.phobos d.lib.phobos.bugs etc (room for growth, after all one day this will be bigger than MS)
Apr 22 2004
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Scott Egan wrote:

<snip>
 d                    <- general
 d.lang
 d.lang.bugs

For bugs in the language spec (i.e. Walter wrote what he didn't mean)?
 d.lang.wishes
 d.lib
 d.lib.phobos
 d.lib.phobos.bugs
 etc (room for growth, after all one day this will be bigger than MS)

I'd at least add: d.dmd d.dmd.bugs Or maybe d.compiler.dmd d.compiler.dmd.bugs if we're going to provide a place to discuss other compilers that may come into being, comparisions between compilers, and implementation theory... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 22 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply lacs <lacs qwerty.ca> writes:
A lots of classification could be interesting.

d.newbies
d.advanced
d.compilerBugs
d.appBugs
d.inTheNews
d.features

and maybe some hot specific topics like

d.generic
d.gc
d.interoperability
d.linux
d.windows
d.optimization
d.library
Apr 21 2004
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
lacs wrote:

 A lots of classification could be interesting.

 d.newbies
 d.advanced
 d.compilerBugs
 d.appBugs
 d.inTheNews
 d.features

 and maybe some hot specific topics like

 d.generic
 d.gc
 d.interoperability
 d.linux
 d.windows
 d.optimization
 d.library

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
I think it needs to be as few as possible, but we *really* need to clear bug
reports, newbie questions and library issues out of the main group.

How about

d - language stuff (already exists)
d.gnu - gnu (already exists)
d.intro - newbies
d.bugs - bugs
d.phobos - library issues

Walter, do you have an opinion on this? (please)

"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c677cg$1q1$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 lacs wrote:

 A lots of classification could be interesting.

 d.newbies
 d.advanced
 d.compilerBugs
 d.appBugs
 d.inTheNews
 d.features

 and maybe some hot specific topics like

 d.generic
 d.gc
 d.interoperability
 d.linux
 d.windows
 d.optimization
 d.library

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/

Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 I think it needs to be as few as possible, but we *really* need to clear bug
 reports, newbie questions and library issues out of the main group.
 
 How about
 
 d - language stuff (already exists)
 d.gnu - gnu (already exists)
 d.intro - newbies
 d.bugs - bugs
 d.phobos - library issues

Personally - I like phobos, but I still think "intro" is too newbie-ish. Even if it's for newbies, they won't use it. Please see the discussion in "What Groups?" under this same thread. But ultimately, I agree it would be best to hear Walter's opinions on this should he have a chance or the time to give them. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:36:17 +1000, Matthew wrote:

 I think it needs to be as few as possible, but we *really* need to clear bug
 reports, newbie questions and library issues out of the main group.

Generally I agree, but what about 'oldbie' questions? ;-)
 How about
 
 d - language stuff (already exists)
 d.gnu - gnu (already exists)
 d.intro - newbies

I still prefer d.help as its purpose is to discuss things that people (newbies, oldbies, whatever...) want help about.
 d.bugs - bugs

Its purpose would be to submit bug reports and discuss potential fixes/workarounds. -- Derek 22/Apr/04 11:47:25 AM
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c66s9i$2hv9$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this is going to have to be done, as I'm drowning under the

 know Walter's having trouble keeping me supplied with hourly compiler

 because of it.

 I don't know what I would suggest, but I think at the least we should have
 D.newbies and D.bugs groups.

 Votes?

 For
 ---

that everyone will post their bugs to D.bugs, and not everywhere? Maybe it would be just harder to find them, when not everyone would be aware of the D.bugs group? Phill.
 Matthew

 Against
 -------

--- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 22 2004
prev sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Minor issue
Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that we 
eventually plan to move D to usenet .  I guess this group would be the 
usenet group.  If we split the group up, there is confusion (at least on 
my part) of where to send the messages. 

Parhaps this group should be kept and the other suggested groups be 
added.  When we move to usenet this group could be closed down, if it is 
possible to upload all the archives.  Or at least promote the use of the 
usenet group.  I wouldn't want the D community to split up.

-- 
-Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 22 2004