D - Project - Sinbad

reply "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
I've just gotten the go-ahead to start up a project to re-implement the
OGRE (http://www.ogre3d.org/) 3D engine in D.  Anybody with any
knowledge in game development, OpenGL, DirectX (and HLSL), nVidia's
'Cg', and just general know-how is welcome to help out.  Suggestions on
where to have this project "live" (ie, sf.net, Tigress, or dsource.org)
are welcome, although I'm leaning toward dsource... just because its
"ours".  :)  Currently the project is named Sinbad (in case you hadn't
guessed) after the original's author.

I'm really just planning it for now, and starting to talk a bit with
Steve/Sinbad about some future features, which we could build our D
version in mind of, such as a plugin to support 3D sound based around
the SceneNode class.  (ie, load sounds and attach them to 'objects', the
scene manager then automatically playing them when the 'ears' object,
probably the camera, comes into range, and modifying the volume
according to nearness, and panning according to direction, etc).

There isn't much info just yet, but I'd like to at least get started
talking about it as soon as possible.

-C. Sauls
-Invironz
Apr 20 2004
next sibling parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
C. Sauls wrote:
[...]

Now this is very good news! I'd like to see this project happen. I'd love to help, but I've got myself dedicated to another project for now. It wouldn't do jumping from one project to the next :-). I'll be watching this one closely, though. It'd be really nice to see it appear on dsource.
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling parent reply "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
I just went over to dsource and posted a cheesy forum request, so
hopefully we can start discussions soon.  I do think its worth nothing,
by the way, that when I got in contact with Steve he said he'd actually
heard of the Digital Mars D language and simply hadn't had the time to
fully consider it...  So see, we're getting some exposure after all!
And that was *before* the /. influx.

-C. Sauls
-Invironz
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c65h9b$4oo$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 I just went over to dsource and posted a cheesy forum request, so
 hopefully we can start discussions soon.  I do think its worth nothing,
Did you mean "worth nothing"? Or worth noting? Phill. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Eek, I meant "worth noting".
Wish I had a way to edit a post without re-submitting it... ah well.

-C. Sauls
-Invironz
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
In outlook Express select your message in the group and then from the
message menu select cancel message.

"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
news:c65moq$e44$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I thought so :o))

 Apparently there is a way to delete a message
 that you have sent, but I dont know how this is
 done, unfortunately.

 Phill.

 news:c65m8q$d39$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Scott Egan wrote:
 In outlook Express select your message in the group and then from the
 message menu select cancel message.
Done identically in Mozilla Thunderbird. I also have an "Edit as New" option, but it'd be nice if there were a way to edit a message in place rather than posting a brand new one. Ah well. -C. Sauls -Invironz
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
C. Sauls wrote:
 I just went over to dsource and posted a cheesy forum request, so
 hopefully we can start discussions soon.
Sorry for the delay. Forum is up and running. I'll get the project pages up as the discussion picks up and code starts to appear. Good luck!! BA
Apr 22 2004
parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Hey no problem, I just used the time to work on some other junk.  (Like
the D parser I keep procrastinating on.)

 Good luck!!

Thanks! -C. Sauls -Invironz
Apr 22 2004