D - Anyone willing to test-drive VS.NET support for D?

reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
I have syntax highlighting for D working in Visual Studio .NET, but I would
like to have it tested on another machine before releasing it. I have all
the MS dev tools and SDK's here on my machine, so no telling what might
happen on a different machine.  This is pre-alpha, although it should do
correct syntax highlighting. But I am really just interested in whether you
can load it or not.

At this point it's a single DLL (43k .ZIP) which you can put anywhere and
simply register with REGSVR32, then run VS.NET and D should be a new
supported language in the editor (famous last words :-). I'm using VS.NET
2003, but I guess (hope) that it works on VS.NET 2002. I have no idea if it
would work on Visual Studio 6.0 or earlier, but I have a feeling it won't.

The only caution I have is that apparently a bug in VS.NET causes any
customizations you've done on the tool bar and keyboard assignments to be
lost when installing a service like this, so if you've customized you might
want to back them up somehow. A tool like VSTweak can be used to
import/export keyboard layouts, but I don't know about the tool bars.

I guess I could email it to whoever wants to test it or even post it here.
I don't want to put it on dsource.org or the wiki until I at least know it
works and doesn't blow up your computer <g>.

--
dave
Apr 11 2004
next sibling parent Scott <Scott_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <Xns94C8E2094EB97dsiebersbc 63.105.9.61>, Dave Sieber says...
[...]

Yes, I would like to have a look - I've got VS2003. Regards, Scott.Egan tpg.com.au.nospame
Apr 12 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
I'm willing to play with it. Please send to me via email.

"Dave Sieber" <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94C8E2094EB97dsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent Juan C <Juan_member pathlink.com> writes:

Send to PIEBALDconsult at AOL
Apr 12 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> writes:
I'll give it a shot also, please e-mail it to me, and I'll let you know how
it turns out

[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm sending an email to all of you, with
the .ZIP attached.  This small group should enable us to see if it loads
correctly. Once we verify it's okay, I'll make it available some place
where everyone can get it.

Email with .ZIP attachment has subject "dservice for Visual Studio.NET",
sending now...

--
dave
Apr 12 2004
next sibling parent reply "Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> writes:
Got it...
Registered it...
Fired up devenv...
Options -> Text Editor now shows D with General and Tabs sections
Created a new text file, saved it as test.d
Typed in a couple of lines...
and nothing colored!

Am I missing anything?
I'm running MS Dev Env 2003 v7.1.3088

news:Xns94C9646EBA89Fdsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...

"Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> wrote:

 Got it...
 Registered it...
 Fired up devenv...
 Options -> Text Editor now shows D with General and Tabs sections
 Created a new text file, saved it as test.d
 Typed in a couple of lines...
 and nothing colored!

 Am I missing anything?
 I'm running MS Dev Env 2003 v7.1.3088
Sounds right so far, except for the lack of coloring :-) If you can help me out here, this is the first time it's being run on another machine, and the Babel docs aren't really clear about how this is all supposed to work. Let's check your registry. Run regedit and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Languages\Language Services You should see "D" as one of the languages. Open that key and look at what it has. Check "RequestStockColors", it should be 1. Also check that Extensions has ".d;". We'll have to take it a step at a time... -- dave
Apr 12 2004
parent reply "Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> writes:
both values are there and set correctly

[...]

Odd. It colors here, and I've got the same registry entries. In your registry, are there any other entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio ? You already have a "7.1" key -- are there any others? -- dave
Apr 12 2004
I've got: 6.0, 7.0 and 7.1

parent Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
"Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> wrote:

 I've got: 6.0, 7.0 and 7.1
(sigh) Okay, well I think I need to dig more into the docs here, to see if there is anything else we need to be doing. Thanks for helping and sorry for the inconvenience! I'll be back as soon as I have something new to try... -- dave
Apr 12 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
Dave,

I've got the same issues as everyone else.  That is: correct registry, but
no colour.  I've just downloaded the VSID kit.

I'll let you know if its makes a difference.

Scott Egan

(I notice that being a day ahead here is Oz doesn't help me keep ahead of
the posts; or doesn't anyone else work? ;)
Apr 13 2004
next sibling parent "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
I dont know if this helps:

ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.VSIP.2003/vsenvsdk/html/vslrfProjectConfigurationF
orManagingDeployment.htm
Apr 13 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
Works! as I now have the VSIP DLK - It would seem that eveyone who wishes to
test this is going to have to get the VSIP SDK.
According to:
ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.VSIP.2003/vsenvsdk/html/vsconOverviewOfVisualStudi
oSecurityVSPackageLoadKeys.htm

You can only get a package load key from MS.

"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
news:c5gdme$5dk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Dave,

 I've got the same issues as everyone else.  That is: correct registry, but
 no colour.  I've just downloaded the VSID kit.

 I'll let you know if its makes a difference.

 Scott Egan

 (I notice that being a day ahead here is Oz doesn't help me keep ahead of
 the posts; or doesn't anyone else work? ;)
Apr 13 2004
parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote:

 Works! as I now have the VSIP DLK - It would seem that eveyone who
 wishes to test this is going to have to get the VSIP SDK.
 According to:
 ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.VSIP.2003/vsenvsdk/html/vsconOverviewOfVisual
 Studi oSecurityVSPackageLoadKeys.htm

 You can only get a package load key from MS.
This is good news, and glad to see it works. I'm looking into the package load key situation. I believe if I get a key from MS, and embed it in the DLL, as the docs indicate, testers shouldn't have to install VSIP. I don't think anyone should have to do that just for using an add-in to Visual Studio -- but we're talking about lawyers and big corporations here, so common sense doesn't enter the picture :-) -- dave
Apr 13 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Dave Sieber" <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94CA3E5D49748dsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...
 Works! as I now have the VSIP DLK - It would seem that eveyone who
 wishes to test this is going to have to get the VSIP SDK.
 According to:
 ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.VSIP.2003/vsenvsdk/html/vsconOverviewOfVisual
 Studi oSecurityVSPackageLoadKeys.htm

 You can only get a package load key from MS.
This is good news, and glad to see it works. I'm looking into the package load key situation. I believe if I get a key from MS, and embed it in the DLL, as the docs indicate, testers shouldn't have to install VSIP. I don't think anyone should have to do that just for using an add-in to Visual Studio -- but we're talking about lawyers and
big
 corporations here, so common sense doesn't enter the picture :-)
Id be surprised if you got the Key for free :o( Phill
 dave
--- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.656 / Virus Database: 421 - Release Date: 4/9/2004
Apr 14 2004
"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote:

 Id be surprised if you got the Key for free :o(
You have to apply for it, which I haven't done yet, and prior to that you're supposed to run some integration tests. I'll guess today I'll bite the bullet and see what the application consists of. Of course, they want your product name, company name, and all that, none of which I have -- this is just editor support for a new language! -- dave
Apr 14 2004
parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
news:Xns94CB3E218FF0Adsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
Dave Sieber wrote:

 I don't want to put it on dsource.org or the wiki until I at least know it
 works and doesn't blow up your computer <g>.
Let me know whenever, and I'll get you set up on dsource.org. Even if you want to move the testing / troubleshooting over to our forums, we can do that, as well. Got a project name? BA
Apr 12 2004
Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote:

 Let me know whenever, and I'll get you set up on dsource.org.  Even if
 you want to move the testing / troubleshooting over to our forums, we
 can do that, as well.  Got a project name?
Cool, thanks. No project name yet, this is all just off-the-cuff, so to speak :-) Any suggestions? Maybe we can move the troubleshooting there, because it definitely seems to be needing some, from the responses so far... -- dave
Apr 12 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
vs.netted

(wow, I usually have 3 or 4 at the tip of my tongue).

Anyway, you guys can post here:
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

BA

Dave Sieber wrote:
 Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote:

Let me know whenever, and I'll get you set up on dsource.org.  Even if
you want to move the testing / troubleshooting over to our forums, we
can do that, as well.  Got a project name?
Cool, thanks. No project name yet, this is all just off-the-cuff, so to speak :-) Any suggestions? Maybe we can move the troubleshooting there, because it definitely seems to be needing some, from the responses so far...
Apr 12 2004
parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote:

 vs.netted

 (wow, I usually have 3 or 4 at the tip of my tongue).

 Anyway, you guys can post here:
 http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=12
Thanks Brad! I like your forum title, "VS.NET extensions for D", perhaps the project should just be some sort of acronym based on that, like VSDX (which I like, it rolls off the tongue easy :-) BTW, to the testers: I got a tip from someone that the problem is related to the VSIP SDK I'm using. I need to supply a package load key with the DLL (or you need to install the VSIP SDK yourselves). I'm looking into what getting a package load key entails, and will keep everyone informed. -- dave
Apr 12 2004
Dave Sieber wrote:
 I like your forum title, "VS.NET extensions for D", perhaps
 the project should just be some sort of acronym based on that, like VSDX
 (which I like, it rolls off the tongue easy :-)
It sounds like a bad disease, possibly what Matthew just had. Or maybe some nasty chemical agent. Rolls off the tongue easy...
Apr 12 2004
parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote:

 It sounds like a bad disease, possibly what Matthew just had.  Or
 maybe some nasty chemical agent.  Rolls off the tongue easy...
LOL. I'm sure that's not a comment on Visual Studio .NET :-) I'm open to suggestions -- I thought about it this afternoon and haven't come up with anything I think would be a good name. -- dave
Apr 12 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Dave Sieber" <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94C9ABAA55700dsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...
 It sounds like a bad disease, possibly what Matthew just had.  Or
 maybe some nasty chemical agent.  Rolls off the tongue easy...
LOL. I'm sure that's not a comment on Visual Studio .NET :-) I'm open to suggestions -- I thought about it this afternoon and haven't come up with anything I think would be a good name.
I seem to remember a couple of months ago, somebody suggesting that, seems MS have VB and VC++ that maybe "VD" would be a good name, I dont know if that would roll off the tongue though :o)) Phill.
 --
 dave
parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote:

 I seem to remember a couple of months ago,
 somebody suggesting that, seems MS have
 VB and VC++ that maybe "VD" would be a good name, I dont know if that
 would roll off the tongue
 though :o))
Yeah, you have a point :-) Actually, I would like to take this beyond mere syntax coloring, and add support for Intellisense, and then beyond that add project support -- so "Visual D" is not a bad idea. It did occur to me, though, that Microsoft may have some sort of protest against the use of that as a project name -- have they trademarked "Visual"? Look what they did to wxWindows, and nobody was confused over that. Well, it is still in pre-alpha testing, so I will come up with a decent name before the initial release. -- dave
Apr 13 2004
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Dave Sieber wrote:

 Yeah, you have a point :-)  Actually, I would like to take this beyond mere
 syntax coloring, and add support for Intellisense, and then beyond that add
 project support -- so "Visual D" is not a bad idea.  It did occur to me,
 though, that Microsoft may have some sort of protest against the use of
 that as a project name -- have they trademarked "Visual"?   Look what they
 did to wxWindows, and nobody was confused over that.
I'd call it "Blind D", but I'm a gimp who once suggested naming an image library "Cataract". ;D -- andy
Apr 13 2004
Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> wrote:

 I'd call it "Blind D", but I'm a gimp who once suggested naming an
 image library "Cataract". ;D
I got that beat. I once wrote a Clipper Decompiler (the old database language), and it would recover source for everything except ASM code. So obviously the name needed to be: SCROTAL = Source Code Recovery (Other Than Assembly Language) -- dave
Apr 13 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Tu Nam" <dreamweaver mail15.com> writes:
I have VS.2003 and hope I can test it
Great Thanks !

"Tu Nam" <dreamweaver mail15.com> wrote:

 I have VS.2003 and hope I can test it
There will be another test version in a few days (hopefully) that gets around the product load key problem. I'll announce here when it's ready. -- dave
Apr 13 2004
parent reply Brian Smith <Brian_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hey Dave

Could you provide us with a copy of the lex/grammars that you're using?

Also, how about opening the source and/or putting it on http://savannah.gnu.org/
??

Cheers and good work,
Brian

In article <Xns94CA3E990548Cdsiebersbc 63.105.9.61>, Dave Sieber says...
Brian Smith <Brian_member pathlink.com> wrote:

 Could you provide us with a copy of the lex/grammars that you're
 using?
Yes, I was planning on doing that. This first public test was just to see about problems loading it on other machines, because I suspected there would be some, and I didn't have a second machine here to test with. There are some problems with the code that I want to address before an official release -- it sometimes indicates syntax errors where there are none, for instance. I have only a lex spec at the moment, and support code for making that available to Visual Studio. I am using Flex, but may end up using something else, if Flex doesn't have Unicode support (need to find out). Same for Bison -- without Unicode support, it doesn't fully support D. And Walter has already been kind enough to provide us with his own lexing and parsing code, so I may graft that in instead of using a yacc-based grammar anyway. In fact, the only reason I started with Flex is as a feasibility study, because Microsoft's Babel SDK has a mode that supports Flex/Bison as a quick way of getting something up and running. The thing is: with Babel, your Flex and Bison scripts have to be tweaked a bit in order to support syntax coloring and identifier lookup. They would probably not be suitable for general use with those tweaks. For instance, no token may be discarded (including white space), and at the end of a line you must always return a token (even inside multi-line comments and wysiwyg strings). My lex script does these things -- it returns *two* tokens for a string or comment on two lines, which is okay for on-screen coloring but not correct for real lexing. Also, you have to insert various actions in your bison script to provide scope and parameter information for Intellisense. These are optimizations for use as a programming aid within Visual Studio, not intended for general parsing. Aside from all that, however, a publicly available grammar is a good idea, and there is interest in it, so I may try to do one anyway :-)
 Also, how about opening the source and/or putting it on
 http://savannah.gnu.org/ ??
I hadn't really thought about where/how I was going to release it, and it doesn't even have a name <g>, but dsource.org seems to be a good place. Like scratching an itch, I started it because I wanted it for my own use with D, but I figured others may be interested and I didn't see anything else out there. And language tools are a big personal interest for me. -- dave
Apr 13 2004