D - Escape sequence request

reply Dn7 <Dn7_member pathlink.com> writes:
Add \e in string escapes, it should do the same as \x[escape key hex].
"Dn7" <Dn7_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c3sok9$q5c$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Add \e in string escapes, it should do the same as \x[escape key hex].
What's the rationale?
Mar 24 2004
parent reply Dn7 <Dn7_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c3st6d$128s$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Dn7" <Dn7_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c3sok9$q5c$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Add \e in string escapes, it should do the same as \x[escape key hex].
What's the rationale?
It is also used by C/C++, and they're common to use for writing attributes to the console. I don't think it would take a lot of effort adding it ;)
Mar 24 2004
next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Dn7 wrote:
 It is also used by C/C++, and they're common to use for writing attributes to
 the console. I don't think it would take a lot of effort adding it ;)
\033 isn't that hard to type, is it? -- andy
Mar 24 2004
next sibling parent reply Dn7 <Dn7_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c3t5e2$1g6j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...
Dn7 wrote:
 It is also used by C/C++, and they're common to use for writing attributes to
 the console. I don't think it would take a lot of effort adding it ;)
\033 isn't that hard to type, is it? -- andy
case 'e': return '\033'; break; isn't either.
Mar 24 2004
parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Dn7 wrote:
 case 'e': return '\033'; break; isn't either.
It's not so much a matter of it being easy as a matter of it not at all being necessary. A frequently useful construction that is difficult to replicate with the language as it stands is a good candidate for inclusion A minor piece of syntactic sugar that saves two keystrokes and will rarely see use is not. -- andy
Mar 24 2004
Dn7 wrote:
 It is also used by C/C++, and they're common to use for writing attributes to
 the console. I don't think it would take a lot of effort adding it ;)
\033 isn't that hard to type, is it? -- andy
Let me check. \033. Still, how hard would it be making \e.
"Dn7" <Dn7_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c3t4ug$1fh9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <c3st6d$128s$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Dn7" <Dn7_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c3sok9$q5c$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Add \e in string escapes, it should do the same as \x[escape key hex].
What's the rationale?
It is also used by C/C++, and they're common to use for writing attributes
 the console. I don't think it would take a lot of effort adding it ;)
It's non-standard for both C and C++, and since it's redundant, I'm reluctant to add it.
Mar 24 2004