D - [VOTE:] Should the cast operator be mandatory?

reply "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
Matthew: Yes
Mar 17 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Matthew wrote:

Matthew: Yes
Cast on everything be mandatory? Details, sorry I missed the discussion on this. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Mar 17 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c39hva$1m1u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

Matthew: Yes
Cast on everything be mandatory?
Anytime a cast is used, it should be via the cast operator, rather than a C-style cast. It doesn't mean that all implicit conversions should be given a cast. That's another debate entirely.
  Details, sorry I missed the discussion
 on this.
Haven't time to summarise, but there're lots of recent posts.
Mar 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
I tried scanning the subject lines for cast and could only find the one
about
implicit narrow casting.
Is there a subject line for the thread about C-style casts?

If the primary reason to remove C-style casts is to make parsing
easier then I'd say go for it because parsing code is a big part of
writing quality tools and editors.

For users the mental jump from (foo)bar to cast(foo)bar is pretty
easy compared to other semantics changes D has from C (hint,
arrays).

-Ben

news:c39k1e$1pnp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

Matthew: Yes
Cast on everything be mandatory?
Anytime a cast is used, it should be via the cast operator, rather than a C-style cast. It doesn't mean that all implicit conversions should be given a cast.
That's
 another debate entirely.

  Details, sorry I missed the discussion
 on this.
Haven't time to summarise, but there're lots of recent posts.
Mar 17 2004
In article <c3abvi$527$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
It's another case of thread drift. I can't blame anyone else because I'm part of the problem. ;) Subject: Re: [BUG] dmd does not implement LR analysis URL: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/25705

 Matthew wrote:

Matthew: Yes
Cast on everything be mandatory?
Anytime a cast is used, it should be via the cast operator, rather than a C-style cast. It doesn't mean that all implicit conversions should be given a cast.
That's
 another debate entirely.

  Details, sorry I missed the discussion
 on this.
Haven't time to summarise, but there're lots of recent posts.
Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Mar 17 2004
prev sibling parent larry cowan <larry_member pathlink.com> writes:
As I understand it, the vote is whether, having the "cast" keyword, it should
be required rather than optional for all explicit casts.  Sorry, I thought it
was required, at least in some cases.  My vote is YES, always (or forget the
word as a keyword entirely).  I prefer D's form to C's form - it points out more
obviously where something is being type-changed from your expectation, and can
be searched for more easily.

In article <c39k1e$1pnp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
 Matthew wrote:

Matthew: Yes
Cast on everything be mandatory?
Anytime a cast is used, it should be via the cast operator, rather than a C-style cast. It doesn't mean that all implicit conversions should be given a cast. That's another debate entirely.
  Details, sorry I missed the discussion
 on this.
Haven't time to summarise, but there're lots of recent posts.
Mar 17 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 Matthew: Yes
cast(X)x good (X)x not. Yes. -- andy
Mar 17 2004
parent reply Juan C <Juan_member pathlink.com> writes:
Well, yes, but -- "Oh no! It'll make porting from C more difficult!"
It seems to me that this is another case where Walter would prefer to leave in a
flaw from C -- rather than making D the best language it can be.

In article <c39n7m$1uqk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...
Matthew wrote:
 Matthew: Yes
cast(X)x good (X)x not. Yes. -- andy
Mar 17 2004
next sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
"Juan C" <Juan_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c39vkk$2fof$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Well, yes, but -- "Oh no! It'll make porting from C more difficult!"
In this case that "more difficult" is a good thing!
 It seems to me that this is another case where Walter would prefer to
leave in a
 flaw from C -- rather than making D the best language it can be.

 In article <c39n7m$1uqk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...
Matthew wrote:
 Matthew: Yes
cast(X)x good (X)x not. Yes. -- andy
Mar 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
Juan C wrote:
 Well, yes, but -- "Oh no! It'll make porting from C more difficult!"
 It seems to me that this is another case where Walter would prefer to leave in
 flaw from C -- rather than making D the best language it can be.

How about making it a deprecated feature, so you have to pass -d to the command line for it to compile? -- Christopher E. Miller
Mar 17 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
I could live with that, but I reckon it'll just smell like a warning by
another name to big-W

"Vathix" <vathix dprogramming.com> wrote in message
news:c3a43k$2ocm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 I could live with that, but I reckon it'll just smell like a warning by
 another name to big-W
Except, of course, unlike C compilers where you have to explicitly tell it to enforce stricter behaviour through -ansi, -warnings-as-errors (or suchnot), in this case the code would *not* compile unless you explicitly told it to ignore something. Not that I support the idea of deprecating it. There's no reason to leave twaddle with a language to make it easier to do bad things conveniently, when part of the point of the language has been to *break* compatability to correct flaws, where C++ did not. Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Mar 19 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Chris S. -- Yes!

Matthew wrote:
 Matthew: Yes
Mar 17 2004