D - dmd

reply imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com> writes:
is the next version coming out soon? i heard someone say march.

I cant wait :)
Mar 02 2004
parent reply Jon <s12 kron.cx> writes:
I believe that Walter was planning for the big 1.0 to coincide with his
presentation at SDWest this month (I think it was this month). He has
been eerily silent lately, I speculate that he has been putting in extra
effort to get everything ready for 1.0 (I hope!).

I can't wait either!

-Jon

next sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
Jon wrote:
 I believe that Walter was planning for the big 1.0 to coincide with his
 presentation at SDWest this month (I think it was this month). He has
 been eerily silent lately, I speculate that he has been putting in extra
 effort to get everything ready for 1.0 (I hope!).

http://www.cmpevents.com/SDw/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=228826
Mar 02 2004
parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
He's definately a  legend isnt he.

Writing one of them compilers would
be a great acheivement,  but all of them........

What a resume!

Phill.

"Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.dot.com> wrote in message
news:c23kpr$21b1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jon wrote:
 I believe that Walter was planning for the big 1.0 to coincide with his
 presentation at SDWest this month (I think it was this month). He has
 been eerily silent lately, I speculate that he has been putting in extra
 effort to get everything ready for 1.0 (I hope!).
http://www.cmpevents.com/SDw/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=228826
Mar 02 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com> writes:
does anyone know if the next version will output the debug information so that
we can finally view class members / complicated types in a debugger ?

In article <c23ijk$1ude$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jon says...

"Jon" <s12 kron.cx> wrote in message news:c23ijk$1ude$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I believe that Walter was planning for the big 1.0 to coincide with his
 presentation at SDWest this month (I think it was this month). He has
 been eerily silent lately, I speculate that he has been putting in extra
 effort to get everything ready for 1.0 (I hope!).
Actually, I was working on a promotional video. Part of the problem is I perform badly on camera, so it took take after take <g>. Then, there was the problem of the truly execrable state of video editting software on the PC. I cannot believe how bad that software is, given it's been out for years. It's almost totally unusable. Anyhow, after spending far too much time on that, I think I'll have to write off doing that as a total loss <g>.
Mar 05 2004
next sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
That would have been great for us poor
anti podians who cant get up there to see
it.

Phill.

news:c2b729$irn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Walter schrieb:

 Actually, I was working on a promotional video. Part of the problem is I
 perform badly on camera, so it took take after take <g>. Then, there was the
 problem of the truly execrable state of video editting software on the PC. I
 cannot believe how bad that software is, given it's been out for years. It's
 almost totally unusable. Anyhow, after spending far too much time on that, I
 think I'll have to write off doing that as a total loss <g>.
I might edit the video. :> BTW, what software have you tried and consider unusable? any ideas on improvement? -eye
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:c2d7e8$ule$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter schrieb:

 Actually, I was working on a promotional video. Part of the problem is I
 perform badly on camera, so it took take after take <g>. Then, there was
the
 problem of the truly execrable state of video editting software on the
PC. I
 cannot believe how bad that software is, given it's been out for years.
It's
 almost totally unusable. Anyhow, after spending far too much time on
that, I
 think I'll have to write off doing that as a total loss <g>.
I might edit the video. :> BTW, what software have you tried and consider unusable? any ideas on improvement?
I used "showbiz" and "powerdirector". Showbiz would crash on any clips longer than a minute. Showbiz would hang trying to render anything longer than a minute. Tried powerdirector, it would crash reading any mpeg2 files. Powerdirector would work with mpeg1 files, but I just could not get it to do precise (to the frame) trimming of clips. It would also insert jerks and pauses where the splices were. So I was reduced to editting short clips with showbiz at the lowest quality setting, then using powerdirector to render the result. I'd view the result, noting which clips needed to be lengthened or shortened, and go back into showbiz to adjust the clips (the preview would not show accurately where the start and ends were). The end result was only possible at the lowest quality setting, and looked terrible. I checked out consumer reviews on several video editors at amazon, and the story was the same - a couple 5 star reviews saying how great it was, followed by 1 star reviews saying the editors would crash a lot. Magazine reviewers never seem to encounter these crashes. It's possible that video software is extremely sensitive to exactly what your hardware/software configuration is, although I have XP SP1 with the latest patches. What did work flawlessly was mydvd at assembling collections of mpeg's and slides into a working dvd, but mydvd won't edit video. My Nero dvd burning software also works like champ. I've been using Nero for years, and it sets a high standard. My ideas for improvement: 1) if you don't support a file format, say so instead of crashing. 2) have a progress indicator on all time consuming operations, so you know if it has hung or is just taking a while 3) support frame by frame editting 4) to get fast editting speeds, it'd be fine to do the preview window in very low res. But still do the final render in hi res. 5) the vendors need to host a newsgroup (like we do here!) so if the causes and solutions to the various problems are found, everyone is better off. I bought another product, Intervideo DVD Copy, as it advertised being able to create a VCD disk. Well, that just hangs trying to create one. I checked google, and there's a patch from MS for XP SP1 specifically for Intervideo. (Intervideo's web site doesn't mention this patch.) I installed the patch, and it still hangs. I'll be returning the software to the store. Moral: many of these products have 'try before you buy'. I recommend doing just that :-( The lack of maturity of video/dvd software is startling compared with other software products I buy.
Mar 07 2004
parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Since i don't have anything like a video camera, i don't know most of
the issues, but i had to do a couple of films from Photos myself and
others from the club shot in the Alps, with some fine demoscene music.
For the first one, i used Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.5 (trial is
available), and it appeared to be quite fast. It allowed customized
transitions, frame-precise positioning, and it did editing preview and
rendering in 2 different selectable formats. Preview is cached for
speed. The product is more costy than i would be able to afford myself
though. :)

It was very vital to choose a good codec for intermediate preview/
editing. After a number of experimants, i found that DivX 5 was stable
and fast enough and didn't crash the pogram. I would expect the program
vendor to ship their own codec (like M-JPG, which is principally good
for editing), or give some clear guidelines as to what to use, but they
don't.

I would think that crashing when trying to import an Mpeg2 in your
software is caused by something else. Video programs try to deal with
formats they don't process directly using DirectShow. The MS DirectShow
codec for MPEG2 as i know it was somewhat incomplete and i have
experienced it to fail many times, however this was long ago. If you
install some DVD player or any other software which brings its own MPEG2
decoder, it can install its own DirectShow filter and thus mask away the
Microsoft codec, so you may be dealing with incompatibilities to other
programs.

The second movie was done with then freeware (currently GPLed) Blender.
Blender is a 3D animation package, with its own simplistic video editor.
Plug-ins are easy to write for it in plain C. The usage is *very*
hackish and not windows-like, there was no documentation, previously,
but now there is Blender 2.0 book and soon Blender 2.3x book to order or
buy in selected stores. Back then there was also no editing for sound,
and no way to synchronize to the soundtrack. They say it has improved,
but i haven't tested yet. I did it in Blender just because i was already
doing 3D effects in it, and it worked out well for that time. Blender
only supports series of numbered image files and MJPG AVI, but i think
recent versions add support for export and import of other formats,
naturally unstable and environment-dependant. Blender is not something
for general cutting.

There is another program which i intended to test, it's AIST MovieXone.
It was freeware a while ago, then 5 EUR, 10 EUR, now 40 EUR.
Unfortunately, i was only able to find German language downloadable version.

-eye

Walter schrieb:

[...]
Mar 08 2004