D - New Operator Idea: *== (array value comparison operator)

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
I've been thinking of how we could easily (with an operator) compare
strings.

As Walter pointed out, == is problematic because you might want to
compare the address of the arrays or you might want to compare the
values in them.  Even if we came up with an elegant balance for that,
what happens if you want to compare arrays of arrays?  Or what if you
want to compare arrays of non-char types?

char a[][];
char b[][];
if( /* the array of strings in a */
    /* is the same as */
    /* the array of strings in b */ )

I just thought of a new operator: the array value comparison
operator,    *= =.  The idea is to imply a "dereferencing compare."  It
is only valid between two arrays of the same type, and it returns true
if and only if they are the same length and contain idential elements.
For multidimensional arrays, you could use as many leading stars as
needed:

char a[];
char b[];
char x[][];
char y[][];

if( a == b )
    // if a and b are the exact same array in memory
if( a *== b )
    // if a and b are equivalent strings
if( x == y )
    // if x and y are the exact same array
if( x *== y )
    // if x and y are the same length, and for all  i<x.length,   x[i]
== y[i].
    // that is, x and y are different arrays, but all their elements
point to
    // exactly the same arrays in memory
if( x **== y )
    // if x and y are the same length, and for all i<x.legth,   x[i]
*==  y[i].
    // that is, x and y are different arrays, and all of their elements
might
    // point to different strings, but the strings are equivalent.

This could go on to ***== and so on.  No need to put an arbitrary
limitation on it.

Of course, you would also implement matching routines for the other
comparators:
*!=
*<
*>
*<=
*>=
**!=
**<
and so on.

--
The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Dec 24 2001
next sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 I just thought of a new operator: the array value comparison
 operator,    *= =.  The idea is to imply a "dereferencing compare."  It
 is only valid between two arrays of the same type, and it returns true
 if and only if they are the same length and contain idential elements.
Why not use the "array contents" operator for this? if (a == b) ... // compare pointers if (a[] == b[]) ... // compare arrays
Dec 25 2001
 Why not use the "array contents" operator for this?

     if (a == b) ...        // compare pointers
     if (a[] == b[]) ...    // compare arrays
Might work... -- The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Dec 25 2001
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a09eq6$1vrn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I just thought of a new operator: the array value comparison
 operator,    *= =.  The idea is to imply a "dereferencing compare."  It
 is only valid between two arrays of the same type, and it returns true
 if and only if they are the same length and contain idential elements.
Why not use the "array contents" operator for this? if (a == b) ... // compare pointers if (a[] == b[]) ... // compare arrays
I thought of that, but unfortunately then the slicing operator becomes semantically ambiguous. The only way the contents operator works is by it having special meaning *only* when used as an lvalue. Sigh.
Dec 25 2001
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a0btal$c56$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I thought of that, but unfortunately then the slicing operator becomes
 semantically ambiguous. The only way the contents operator works is by it
 having special meaning *only* when used as an lvalue. Sigh.
Hmmm... I can't understand what you mean. Could you please post an example of such ambiguity?
Dec 26 2001
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a0cbf7$ljq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a0btal$c56$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I thought of that, but unfortunately then the slicing operator becomes
 semantically ambiguous. The only way the contents operator works is by
it
 having special meaning *only* when used as an lvalue. Sigh.
Hmmm... I can't understand what you mean. Could you please post an example of such ambiguity?
a[] is a synonym for a[0..a.length]. If I write: foo[3..5] do I mean the array, or the contents of the array? If the latter, then much of the uses of slicing are obviated. If the former, then I can't assign a special meaning to [].
Dec 26 2001
next sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a0d1va$13o1$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 do I mean the array, or the contents of the array? If the latter, then
much
 of the uses of slicing are obviated. If the former, then I can't assign a
 special meaning to [].
Whichever the case, what's the problem? Comparison operators don't modify their operands, so whether slice is part of array or a brand new one doesn't matter, right? In fact D already defines == and friends on arrays and slices (AFAIK) so it is legal to write: if (a[] == b[]) ... But it is only legal if both arrays are of the same size. Making it work on differently sized arrays would give us pretty much everything we need.
Dec 26 2001
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a0d2h6$142m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a0d1va$13o1$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 do I mean the array, or the contents of the array? If the latter, then
much
 of the uses of slicing are obviated. If the former, then I can't assign
 special meaning to [].
Whichever the case, what's the problem? Comparison operators don't modify their operands, so whether slice is part of array or a brand new one doesn't matter, right? In fact D already defines == and friends on arrays and slices (AFAIK) so it is legal to write: if (a[] == b[]) ... But it is only legal if both arrays are of the same size. Making it work on differently sized arrays would give us pretty much everything we need.
I'm going to have to revisit the a[] op b[] syntax, as I don't think it is going to work.
Dec 27 2001
prev sibling parent reply Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

 a[] is a synonym for a[0..a.length]. If I write:
     foo[3..5]
 do I mean the array, or the contents of the array? If the latter, then much
 of the uses of slicing are obviated. If the former, then I can't assign a
 special meaning to [].
Do you anticipate wanting to compare slices for reference identity rather than for content identity? It's a little perlesque/DWIMy, but could you treat slice syntax differently in comparison expressions than in assignment or other expressions? -RB
Dec 26 2001
"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3C2A1913.9050303 estarcion.com...
 a[] is a synonym for a[0..a.length]. If I write:
     foo[3..5]
 do I mean the array, or the contents of the array? If the latter, then
much
 of the uses of slicing are obviated. If the former, then I can't assign
 special meaning to [].
Do you anticipate wanting to compare slices for reference identity rather than for content identity?
Yes.
 It's a little
 perlesque/DWIMy, but could you treat slice syntax differently
 in comparison expressions than in assignment or other
 expressions?
Each special case adds complexity, that doesn't mean it is not worth doing, the case just has to be fairly compelling.
Dec 27 2001
Walter wrote:

 "Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
 news:3C2A1913.9050303 estarcion.com...
Do you anticipate wanting to compare slices for reference
identity rather than for content identity?
Yes.
It's a little
perlesque/DWIMy, but could you treat slice syntax differently
in comparison expressions than in assignment or other
expressions?
Each special case adds complexity, that doesn't mean it is not worth doing, the case just has to be fairly compelling.
Okay, well, then, let's get back to thinking of a good operator to use for array content comparison. if (a $= b) // "string equal" to speakers of BASIC if (a []= b) // "array equal" if (a === b) // because = and == aren't confusing enuf -RB
Dec 27 2001
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3C2B67E5.20207 estarcion.com...
 "Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
 news:3C2A1913.9050303 estarcion.com...
Do you anticipate wanting to compare slices for reference
identity rather than for content identity?
Yes.
It's a little
perlesque/DWIMy, but could you treat slice syntax differently
in comparison expressions than in assignment or other
expressions?
Each special case adds complexity, that doesn't mean it is not worth
doing,
 the case just has to be fairly compelling.
Okay, well, then, let's get back to thinking of a good operator to use for array content comparison. if (a $= b) // "string equal" to speakers of BASIC if (a []= b) // "array equal" if (a === b) // because = and == aren't confusing enuf
The idea: a [==] b a [<] b a [>=] b is sort of appealing <g>.
Dec 27 2001
next sibling parent Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

 "Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
 news:3C2B67E5.20207 estarcion.com...
Okay, well, then, let's get back to thinking of a good operator to
use for array content comparison.

    if (a $= b)     // "string equal" to speakers of BASIC
    if (a []= b)    // "array equal"
    if (a === b)    // because = and == aren't confusing enuf
The idea: a [==] b a [<] b a [>=] b is sort of appealing <g>.
Works for me, but then, I'm twisted. -R
Dec 27 2001
prev sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Or maybe this?

    if (a ~~ b) ...
    if (a !~ b) ...
Dec 27 2001
prev sibling next sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3C2B67E5.20207 estarcion.com...

 Okay, well, then, let's get back to thinking of a good operator to
 use for array content comparison.

     if (a $= b)     // "string equal" to speakers of BASIC
I'm a BASIC geek myself and would never ever consider $= "string equality"...
Dec 27 2001
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
Perl maybe?

    if (a eq b) ...
    if (a !eq b) ...
Dec 27 2001