D - D Open Source Community Site

reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
All,

I am looking for assistance in setting up a site.  Benji Smith had threatened
put something together and I was really looking forward to it, but he fell off
the radar.  I would like to rekindle this project, but I don't want to do it
alone.  I have a domain name, a server up and running, and some components
running as well.

Here is the plan so far:

Source Code Control - Subversion - running
Forums - phpBB - almost running
Email - sendmail - running
Bug Tracking - Bugzilla - almost running
Main Website App - LAMP - nowhere
Tutorial Framework - nowhere

I need the most help with the Main Website App, as I don't have anything right
now to link the first four components into a cohesive site.  I am also not the
most solid php guy, although I can do the web design part.

I envision this site hosting any and all D projects that wish to host with us,
including ports to D, Phobos library projects, a compiler bug tracking system
(not officially recognized by Walter, I presume), tutorials, and anything else
D.

Anyone interested in helping, let me know and I will coordinate.  I think a
small number is good, and is much better than one (me).  Real work has a
tendency to flare up on me, but with assistance, I'd like to see this site up
within a month or so.

Also, after we're up and running for a while, I may open up for donations to
get
more and better hardware to run on, more redundancy, higher reliability and
availabliity, yada yada yada.  My company has been kind enough to donate
bandwidth for the forseeable future, that is if we're not slashdotted.

Let me know if you can help.

Cheers,
Brad
Feb 18 2004
next sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
I have a friend who's great at all this stuff. I'm bcc-ing him on this, and
he may want to participate.

Cheers

Matthew

"Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.dot.com> wrote in message
news:c11lif$1s0i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 All,

 I am looking for assistance in setting up a site.  Benji Smith had
threatened to
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent "C" <dont respond.com> writes:
Im down, I use php at work ( not by choice ) so im uncomfortably freindly
with it.

[...]

Feb 19 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
The www.opend.org site is up but looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.
Considering that site is already linked from Walter's D pages it makes sense
to at least keep the URL alive. I've just sent them an email asking is I
can put my GCC front-end stuff on there. The opend site replaced
http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd/.
I won't be of much help for the site, though, since I barely know any HTML
much less php.
-Ben

"Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.dot.com> wrote in message
news:c11lif$1s0i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| All,
|
| I am looking for assistance in setting up a site.  Benji Smith had threatened
| put something together and I was really looking forward to it, but he fell off
| the radar.  I would like to rekindle this project, but I don't want to do it
| alone.  I have a domain name, a server up and running, and some components
| running as well.
|
| Here is the plan so far:
|
| Source Code Control - Subversion - running
| Forums - phpBB - almost running
| Email - sendmail - running
| Bug Tracking - Bugzilla - almost running
| Main Website App - LAMP - nowhere
| Tutorial Framework - nowhere
|
| I need the most help with the Main Website App, as I don't have anything right
| now to link the first four components into a cohesive site.  I am also not the
| most solid php guy, although I can do the web design part.
|
| I envision this site hosting any and all D projects that wish to host with us,
| including ports to D, Phobos library projects, a compiler bug tracking system
| (not officially recognized by Walter, I presume), tutorials, and anything else
D.

| Anyone interested in helping, let me know and I will coordinate.  I think a
| small number is good, and is much better than one (me).  Real work has a
| tendency to flare up on me, but with assistance, I'd like to see this site up
| within a month or so.
|
| Also, after we're up and running for a while, I may open up for donations to
get
| more and better hardware to run on, more redundancy, higher reliability and
| availabliity, yada yada yada.  My company has been kind enough to donate
| bandwidth for the forseeable future, that is if we're not slashdotted.
|
| Let me know if you can help.
|
| Cheers,
| Brad

Feb 19 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jeandré du Toit" <morphiax absamail.co.za> writes:
I can help with PHP and some other web stuff. I would like to get the
tutorial project going aswell.

I'd also like to help with the tutorial. I've already been working on examples: http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/tutor/ I don't know any PHP (maybe I could learn?), but I do know HTML. I used my own version of D2HTML for the syntax highlighting in my examples. I've been working on more examples, but I haven't uploaded any in a few days. Justin
 "Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.dot.com> wrote in message
 news:c11lif$1s0i$1 digitaldaemon.com...

All,

I am looking for assistance in setting up a site.
-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Feb 19 2004
parent "Jeandré du Toit" <morphiax absamail.co.za> writes:
Brilliant! I am keen on  helping you put more tutorials and stuff together.
I will mail you and we can decide on what procedure we are going to follow.
If anyone else would like to help with even the smallest thing, like
checking that we arn't totally missing the point in some of the tutorials
please let us know.

Thanks

"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:c145uo$bag$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jeandré du Toit wrote:
 I can help with PHP and some other web stuff. I would like to get the
 tutorial project going aswell.
I'd also like to help with the tutorial. I've already been working on examples: http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/tutor/ I don't know any PHP (maybe I could learn?), but I do know HTML. I used my own version of D2HTML for the syntax highlighting in my examples. I've been working on more examples, but I haven't uploaded any in a few days. Justin
 "Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.dot.com> wrote in message
 news:c11lif$1s0i$1 digitaldaemon.com...

All,

I am looking for assistance in setting up a site.
-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Feb 20 2004
prev sibling parent Jon B <Jon_member pathlink.com> writes:
I was actually considering making a D phpBB forum since there didn't seem to be
one around (I'm new and phobic of the whole newsgroup thing;). Oh well, it's
just as well, I'm not farmiliar enough with the language and the community yet
to host anything like that.

In article <c11lif$1s0i$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Anderson says...