D - D future ...

reply "Samuel Martín Valentín" <samuelmv ya.com> writes:
Hi everybody!!

I've been reading the D forum for 3 months now. I think it's 95% of my
perfect language (the 5% you can find in
http://nice.sourceforge.net/index.html with the help of some sintax sugar),
thanks Walter!!!

Well, I think it's time to work on the D library, and I would like to help:
    - I think all us will agree that most of the D library should work on
Windows and Linux, and I should be free (freedom) but with a license that
allows you to write comercial source-closed software.
    - I'm working in a event library and a network library (a lot of
research and a little of code ;-) in Linux, but I think I could do it for
Windows also. My idea it's to have the classic socket interface, and an
event-oriented interface for network communications.
    - I think we could use common event classes for all the libraries
(network, GUI -I like the SWT idea-, xml parsing, states machines, etc.)
    - Probably, the way to go it's to write down all the classes/libraries

would like to work on them (just a little bit of organization, we are
few...)

Thanks, comments please.

            Samuel from Spain.
Jan 24 2004
parent reply Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
Well, I think it's time to work on the D library, and I would like to help:
    - I think all us will agree that most of the D library should work on
Windows and Linux, and I should be free (freedom) but with a license that
allows you to write comercial source-closed software.
Nobody likes MacOS X :(
    - Probably, the way to go it's to write down all the classes/libraries

would like to work on them (just a little bit of organization, we are
few...)
Something that can compete with .Net would be VERY nice, but This will take a long time, IMHO.
Jan 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Samuel" <samuelmv ya.com> writes:
"Matthias Becker" <Matthias_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:buu0qu$1lld$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Well, I think it's time to work on the D library, and I would like to
help:
    - I think all us will agree that most of the D library should work on
Windows and Linux, and I should be free (freedom) but with a license that
allows you to write comercial source-closed software.
Nobody likes MacOS X :(
I like MacOS X (my next computer is an Apple :-), but DMD doesn't support PowerPC :-( I think that if we design a good API it hasn't to be very difficult to port it to Mac (just a few quirks)
    - Probably, the way to go it's to write down all the
classes/libraries

who
would like to work on them (just a little bit of organization, we are
few...)
Something that can compete with .Net would be VERY nice, but This will
take a
 long time, IMHO.
True, but we have to start at some moment, and it's better if we plan it soon, before there is too much legacy code, or people starts reinventing the wheel again. At least, it seems that there is some agreement about the GUI, developing a kind of SWT for D. I think the main reason that could keep mainstream programmer from using D is the language standard library (and add-ons libraries). I'm mainly a Java programmer (although I started programming with C and C++ when I was a teenager), and the "productivity" comes (like Python) from a general good design of the language and a huge class library. I think D has better design than Java, and I can live without closures, tuples, etc. (well, I would like to have an improved version of the templates -auto deduction- and operators overload -opContains/opIn-), what I really need is a good and portable class library (we know what works and what doesn't). I have little time, but I'd spend it in D. Thanks. Samuel
Jan 24 2004
I totally agree , we should layout who wants to do what , but having tried that a couple times before I know its hard to get people interested / started. I'm still working on Windy though it doesnt seem to be the peoples choice ;). I also want to start a generic Database suite with a common interface for mysql , mssql , acccess etc ( anyone know where I can get the headers for access / mssql , or do I use type libraries ( Matthew wheres that tlb2d ? )). I've never used Java OR .net , what type of classes are you wanting / is in those suites? I for one would LOVE a curl type library, so I could start using D at work. "Samuel" <samuelmv ya.com> wrote in message news:buu3h1$1ptq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
I've never used Java OR .net , what type of classes are you wanting / is in
those suites?
Threads, GUI, ... everything you commonly need. But I prefer C++ STL container/algorithms over .Net collections/algorithms.
Jan 26 2004
prev sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Matthias Becker wrote:

Well, I think it's time to work on the D library, and I would like to help:
   - I think all us will agree that most of the D library should work on
Windows and Linux, and I should be free (freedom) but with a license that
allows you to write comercial source-closed software.
Nobody likes MacOS X :(
Nobody's thinking about it just now because D is currently x86 only. Ben Hinkle has had some success rigging the DMD frontend up to gcc already, so sit tight. :)
   - Probably, the way to go it's to write down all the classes/libraries

would like to work on them (just a little bit of organization, we are
few...)
Something that can compete with .Net would be VERY nice, but This will take a long time, IMHO.
I dunno if it'll take *that* long. After all, there are so many great designs that we can borrow from! (that being said, I am an optimist) -- andy
Jan 24 2004