D - SWT port - first step

reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
I'm starting a new thread so we can discuss the best way to do a
proof-of-concept for a D port of SWT.  For reference, we were under "Active
Projects" and "D gui" before this)

I would like to propose that we accomplish the following:

1.  Write enough code so that the following works

/+
  +	HelloWorldGUI.d
  +/

import dwt.widgets.Display;
import dwt.widgets.Shell;

int main (char[][] args) {

	Display display = new Display();
	Shell shell = new Shell(display);
	shell.open();
	while ( !shell.isDisposed() ) {
		if ( !display.readAndDispatch() ) {
			display.sleep();
	display.dispose();
}

2.  Demonstrate that it works on Win32 and Linux/GTK.

3.  Figure out a forum for the small team to exchange ideas and communicate
(rather than loading up the DMD newsgroup.)  We will report back on feasibility.

This should give us enough of a look at the plumbing of SWT.  We can see where
we will have to work hard to get around a feature in Java that D does not have,
or that we want to improve because we have more capabilities in D.

For the moment, let's assume we're going to use listeners and try to stay as
close to SWT as possible.  Optimizations can come much later...

What can we leave out for the proof-of-concept?  Unicode, threading,

Thoughts?  Volunteers?  Platform preferences?

I don't have dev access to a Linux box, so I'll probably hack around with
Win32.
  I can, however, set up a forum using phpBB on a public site.

Brad
Jan 20 2004
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
I'll respond in more detail to this in a bit, but for now here are a
couple of links to the SWT toolkit so others can get familar with it:

Download and web viewable cvs:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/main.html

The Developer's SWT page:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/dev.html

Also, it probably be wise to get further information on the license of
this toolkit.  I know we would be modifying it in D, but I don't know what
our obligation would be for adopting the design.

Notice also, in the above website, there are branches for win32 and Gtk in
place.  This is a good thing :).

Oh and watch out, the name "dwt" might not be so popular ;-).

Nice sample!

Later,

John
Jan 20 2004