D - The D Journal

reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Monsieurs et madams

We're hoping to get The D Journal happening this year - only two years after
it was first mooted <G> - and with the talk of the release of D 1.0, and a
possible comp.lang.d, maybe now is the right time to start thinking about
it.

I'm still happy to provide editorial functions, as long as there are
sufficient people
who will volunteer for other duties, e.g. reviewing, document formatting,
web-site stuff, etc.

I still feel the original format is a good one:

    - bi-monthly (i.e. every two months, not twice a month)
    - online format only. It would be nice to have a downloadable PDF
version also, if anyone has the wherewithall (i.e. a to-PDF converter) to do
that.
    - 2-4 articles (2,000 - 4,000 words)
    - Tips section: 2-5 tips, each of ~400 words
    - Notes: 1 paragraph mini-tips, dotted around the issue
    - WFW (Word From Walter)

We need:
    - a group of 5-10 reviewers, preferably with good experience in D and
extensive experience in at least one other language
    - people who are good with design and website preparation. Hopefully
Alix (Pexton) is still keen. Alix was the original webmaster on our
tentative attempt the first time round. I'm sure we won't waste any amount
of graphic/web design talent, so please volunteer.

And of course we need article/tip/note material. Before anyone goes to the
trouble of writing them, can you just submit proposals, according to the
instructions on http://www.thedjournal.com/papers.html.

FYI, my timetable is mega chocker this month, and pretty much so next month,
but I should still be able to read through proposals during quiet moments,
so I
think a realistic schedule to work towards is

 - people submit their proposals in Jan
 - I'll get back on them in during Feb
 - material written in March

Then, depending on how many volunteers we have for the draft reviewing and
checking, and the document/web preparation, we could hope to get the first
version out sometime in April. Does this sound good to everyone?

The success or otherwise of this will depend on you, so I leave it in your
hands. :)

Cheers

--
Matthew Wilson

Director, Synesis Software (www.synesis.com.au)
STLSoft moderator (http://www.stlsoft.org)
Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
(www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)

Synesis Software Pty Ltd
P.O.Box 125
Waverley
New South Wales, 2024
Australia

next sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
I'd be happy to help:

a.  web design
b.  newbie articles and/or tips

I'll watch this thread for volunteers, as well as further instruction from
Matthew.

Brad

Matthew wrote:
[...]

Jan 08 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
I'd love to review it, but I have not had much
experience with D up to this time. It depends
on what is required.

Phill.

"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:btkokk$14gr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Primarily, a reviewer would do the following:

 1. Criticise the techniques described, i.e. whether they're a good idea or
not. (Note: I'm using criticise in its standard meaning, whereby criticism
can have negative and positive connotations.)
 2. Validate the techniques, i.e. test that the code compiles, verify any
performance/effectiveness claims, etc.
 3. Comment on the originality, i.e. try to spot any plagiarism. As with any
other publishing, authors will be expected to stipulate that techniques are
their own work, or provide fair attribution to original authors, or to
simply state that "this is a widely used technique"
 4. Comment on whether the techniques described are sufficiently interesting
to go in the journal.

That all sounds a bit formal and drab, but in reality I expect it to be a
straightforward and enjoyable experience for all. (One of my prime
motivations for this is to learn a lot more about D!) I'll make sure
submissions are passed anonymously to authors, so that everything's seen to
be fair and above board. And reviewers are, of course, invited (perhaps
expected?!) to contribute their own articles/tips/notes.

Reviewers are needed because (i) I simply won't have time to do the
reviewing, (ii) I don't know enough about the full spread of D facilities,
and (iii) having only one or two people doing the reviewing will lead to a
biased publication. As you all know, Walter, myself and many others have
somewhat fixed and strong opinions. Letting any one person dictate the
subject matter will make the journal an unpopular mouthpiece, rather than an
informed and dispationate source of information.

Even though the idea's nearly two years old, we have high hopes for The D
Journal. Hopefully it can quickly become a source of reliable, practical and
informative information for the practise of D.

Therefore it's up to all of you guys to contribute; that's your only
motivation for the moment. Naturally, in its initial online, unadvertised,
free form, it will not be paying anyone any fees, so it's just fame and
philanthropism for the first year or two. For my part, I've got permission
from CUJ to do this, and in fact they've been quite encouraging, which in
and of itself is a great sign that D is being noticed in the right places.

But if D makes it as far as many think it will, you'll have the honour of
being there on the ground floor, and maybe your words will become legend,
just as those early writings in the C++ Report are now C++ lore and bound up
in book form.

Cheers

--
Matthew Wilson

Director, Synesis Software (www.synesis.com.au)
STLSoft moderator (http://www.stlsoft.org)
Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
(www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)

news:btlcoj$22ls$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:btlij3$2but$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 But if D makes it as far as many think it will, you'll have the honour of
 being there on the ground floor, and maybe your words will become legend,
 just as those early writings in the C++ Report are now C++ lore and bound
up
 in book form.
I've been incommunicado for a couple of days, as an ice storm pulled down all the cables around here. But just the volume of messages posted here in the meantime is telling me that D is really gaining momentum. I'm giving an introduction to D at SDWest in March, and am planning for that to coincide with D 1.0. We're attracting the attention of some very influential people in the programming business. It's the interest, enthusiasm, and help from the D newsgroup participants here that is behind making this all happen. We're all here at the beginning of something big.
Jan 08 2004
parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <btlmv7$2ifv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
 I'm giving an
introduction to D at SDWest in March, and am planning for that to coincide
with D 1.0. We're attracting the attention of some very influential people
in the programming business.
This would be a great audience to solicit votes for comp.lang.d. Anyone going?
It's the interest, enthusiasm, and help from the D newsgroup participants
here that is behind making this all happen. We're all here at the beginning
of something big.
"Mark T" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:btntun$30od$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <btlmv7$2ifv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
 I'm giving an
introduction to D at SDWest in March, and am planning for that to
coincide
with D 1.0. We're attracting the attention of some very influential
people
in the programming business.
This would be a great audience to solicit votes for comp.lang.d. Anyone going?
I agree. That's why I think we should wait on trying to launch comp.lang.d until then.
Jan 09 2004