D - D should be made more popular

reply deng kun <deng_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi, I'm not a real d programmar after all, but after reading this online manual
of D language and also some of the other web materials on performance
comparisons of d/c++/java, I really think d has a great potential in becoming a
substitute of c++. But the problem is it can't beat java if its language design
is still kept in a small circle, and the size of its runtime library is still
limited by the ideas of being "just sufficient for programmers to work on".

Anyhow my suggestion is D language should be made more popular by following
either the "GNU" way and/or Sun's standardization way.
Oct 09 2003
next sibling parent davepermen <davepermen_member pathlink.com> writes:
there's just one way to make it more popular: i do my part, do you? :D

i'm telling everywhere that i use it, and i got quite some people yet interested
in it, and several moving over to it. i think there are about 20-30 people more
that know it thanks to me, and about 3-4 wich will use it regularly now thanks
to me, and at least one who does never touch c++ again, + me, hehe:D

D grows fast by itself. i haven't seen much about it online one,two months ago.
and now it got discussed regularly in the big gamedev forums (flipcode,gamedev,
and others)..

it has big chances.. i think it can make it..
In article <bm3nuq$2vrl$1 digitaldaemon.com>, deng kun says...
Hi, I'm not a real d programmar after all, but after reading this online manual
of D language and also some of the other web materials on performance
comparisons of d/c++/java, I really think d has a great potential in becoming a
substitute of c++. But the problem is it can't beat java if its language design
is still kept in a small circle, and the size of its runtime library is still
limited by the ideas of being "just sufficient for programmers to work on".

Anyhow my suggestion is D language should be made more popular by following
either the "GNU" way and/or Sun's standardization way.
Oct 09 2003
prev sibling parent "J. Daniel Smith" <J_Daniel_Smith HoTMaiL.com> writes:
In my opinon, the way out of the library problem is to make D a CLR language
so that it can readily use all of the .NET classes.  One could then quickly
be much more productive in D.  But Walter wants D to be a "systems
language", which doesn't fit in as well with .NET.

   Dan

news:bm3nuq$2vrl$1 digitaldaemon.com...