D - D book

reply Vaygr Bomber <Vaygr_member pathlink.com> writes:
Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
"Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
You could include the open source version of D.
Oct 07 2003
next sibling parent Friedrich Dominicus <frido q-software-solutions.com> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
 You could include the open source version of D.

Regards Friedrich
Oct 08 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:

 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
 You could include the open source version of D.

I'm sure there will be an official D book, because that's unavoidable. The best chance might be that we can talk Matthew into authoring such a book, perhaps in a team with Walter and a few others to help. But it wouldn't be senseful and fair to buyers to write such a book before the standard library has materilized and stabilized. So this may be a year or two in the future. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 08 2003
parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
You seem to be most insighful on several points ... ;)

"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:3F842943.7B64EB12 hls.via.at...

prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.

I strongly suspect Walter prefers writing compilers instead of books. Maybe if you were to write a book he could possibly assist you by writing a book compiler. ;) There have been some efforts in the community to start writing a book. It's just too early for that now. Most importantly, Bruce Eckel keeps his eyes open on D and shall be among the first to write a book. Knowing the quality of the other books he wrote, you could call it official right away. :) It would be nice to see a few chapters written by various authors (Walter, Mathew) though, and the book should be available online. -eye
Oct 15 2003
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:bmkg3k$15b3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.

I strongly suspect Walter prefers writing compilers instead of books. Maybe if you were to write a book he could possibly assist you by writing a book compiler. ;) There have been some efforts in the community to start writing a book. It's just too early for that now. Most importantly, Bruce Eckel keeps his eyes open on D and shall be among the first to write a book. Knowing the quality of the other books he wrote, you could call it official right away. :) It would be nice to see a few chapters written by various authors (Walter, Mathew) though, and the book should be available online.

One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer) is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too interested in that <g>.
Oct 16 2003
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.

It pays badly enough as it is, how d'you expect anyone to do it (unless they were independently wealthy). Apparently Bjarne Stroustrup, who's TC++PL is one of the biggest sellers ever, has said that book only allowed him to pay for one child's education. A tropical island it ain't!
Oct 16 2003
Matthew Wilson wrote:

 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.

It pays badly enough as it is, how d'you expect anyone to do it (unless they were independently wealthy). Apparently Bjarne Stroustrup, who's TC++PL is one of the biggest sellers ever, has said that book only allowed him to pay for one child's education. A tropical island it ain't!

That's why I think work should be distributed. - the basic introduction and reference (exists anyway, Walter) - a tutorial (will exist sooner or later in sufficient quality) - a complete library reference (must be created anyway with the library) - a few real world sample applications will bring the authors a long way towards the finished book. A book will gain little for it's authors but reputation. But reputation is a "symbolic capital" that can be converted to profit. The printed book is more important than the online version, because it would put D as a language in different league. Online you can describe anything. But you print only things that are stable enough to hold for a few years. Otherwise you've done all the work for nothing. A book is an important signal. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 17 2003
parent Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
That's why I think work should be distributed.
   - the basic introduction and reference (exists anyway, Walter)
   - a tutorial (will exist sooner or later in sufficient quality)
   - a complete library reference (must be created anyway with the library)
   - a few real world sample applications
will bring the authors a long way towards the finished book.

A book is an important signal.

I've always liked the O'Reilly Nutshell books. I have purchased a few over the years. Since I don't program very often in Java, I tend to use it as a refresher. I have the Java nutshell 2nd edition. It is now on the 4th edition. Maybe you could start by outlining the table of contents. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javanut4/ http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javanut4/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cplsian/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/delphi/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csharpnut2/toc.html I'm sure O'Reilly would publish it after D went 1.0 and not all the chapters were previously published on the web.
Oct 25 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Samuel Barber" <opendtv yahoo.com> writes:
news:bmnq8r$2fu8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.

You might be surprised. I know of (non-fiction) writers who web their stuff, and don't have any trouble getting it published. There does seem to be a general taboo against webbing fiction, however. Sam
Oct 17 2003
"Samuel Barber" <opendtv yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bmop9b$n05$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:bmnq8r$2fu8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy

 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.

You might be surprised. I know of (non-fiction) writers who web their

 and don't have any trouble getting it published. There does seem to be a
 general taboo against webbing fiction, however.

Perhaps it might work. I have a tendency to buy hardcopies of books even if I have them online. I also agree with Helmut that a printed D book would be a big milestone for the language.
Oct 19 2003