D - phobos progress

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm not even sure what should go into phobos,
but whatever it is could be done in a diferent way:

Walter, or some other very smart guy, could figure out
the desired interface to use with D.
Once the interface is design anyone interested on a particular
function could write the implementation for the system s/he is
familiar with.
Phobos source could be marked with "TODO" so with could just grep it
and see whats to do.
(I just tried (todo Todo TODO) that and come out empty
except for 2 entries of "not implemented")

maybe what I did for utils.Directory contents
(it's incomplete I think it's obvious)
could fit on this idea.

just a thought

Ant

BTW D has no future, I mean it:
If D is successful BigCompany will jump on it with a clone and kill it.
(maybe BigCompany will decide to buy DM(?))
BigCompany moto is "If you can't beat them, buy them".

"BigCompany" is a fictional company, any similarity with an existing
software company is pure coincidence.
Oct 06 2003
next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bltfsu$1to9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
If D is successful BigCompany will jump on it with a clone and kill it.
(maybe BigCompany will decide to buy DM(?))
BigCompany moto is "If you can't beat them, buy them".

"BigCompany" is a fictional company, any similarity with an existing
software company is pure coincidence.
Well please take it with a smile! anyway, on the list of time invested on D I must be close to the top, and not giving up... ;) Ant
Oct 06 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bltjv5$23n8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Well please take it with a smile!
 anyway, on the list of time invested on D I must be
 close to the top, and not giving up... ;)
I am told regularly that D cannot succeed. But it just keeps gaining momentum <g>.
Oct 07 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bltfsu$1to9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 BTW D has no future, I mean it:
 If D is successful BigCompany will jump on it with a clone and kill it.
 (maybe BigCompany will decide to buy DM(?))
 BigCompany moto is "If you can't beat them, buy them".

 "BigCompany" is a fictional company, any similarity with an existing
 software company is pure coincidence.
Since the front end of D is GPL'd, it cannot be killed that way. <g> It won't even be killed if everyone loses interest in it but me, as I will continue to make it better until it becomes interesting again. It would be helpful if some big company got behind D and pushed, but that is NOT necessary for D to be a big success. D is already a successful new language, and it is growing rapidly. The number of new projects started with it and the support people are building for it is approaching critical mass.
Oct 07 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bltu31$2iql$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
D is already a successful new language, and it is growing rapidly. The
number of new projects started with it and the support people are building
for it is approaching critical mass.
You know your section on the overview: "Who D is Not For"? it's completely wrong! people is using D for most of those things! That proves the quality of D, it's passing the boundaries you set for it! Ant
Oct 07 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:blu6tn$2uae$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 You know your section on the overview:
 "Who D is Not For"?
 it's completely wrong!
 people is using D for most of those things!
 That proves the quality of D,
 it's passing the boundaries you set for it!
I wrote that a long time ago. I guess I need to reread it and update it!
Oct 07 2003
prev sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bltfsu$1to9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I'm not even sure what should go into phobos,
but whatever it is could be done in a diferent way:
Let me give an example, maybe it will make my problem easier to see: both me http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/18025 and Burton Radons http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/4753 posted a directory listing utility. I don't see any of those going into the D libraries, isn't there a way to better channel this energy into D? Ant
Oct 07 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bluafh$1ju$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <bltfsu$1to9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I'm not even sure what should go into phobos,
but whatever it is could be done in a diferent way:
Let me give an example, maybe it will make my problem easier to see: both me http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/18025 and Burton Radons http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/4753 posted a directory listing utility. I don't see any of those going into the D libraries, isn't there a way to better channel this energy into D?
D does need a directory package. I just haven't spent the time evaluating and integrating it. What I think we need is a central repository for such contributions as you listed. That way, there won't be duplication of effort, the various contributions won't get lost, even if they don't make it into Phobos they are still useful and available, etc. How about adapting Helmet's wiki?
Oct 07 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <blv0n8$129n$3 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
What I think we need is a central repository for such
contributions as you listed. That way, there won't be duplication of effort,
the various contributions won't get lost,
where is Benji? seems that Benji is having something else more important/urgent todo.
How about adapting Helmet's wiki?
Too much freedom, anybody can go there and delete the entries. (I tested by adding something and then delete it) Ant
Oct 08 2003
parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
Ant wrote:

 In article <blv0n8$129n$3 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
What I think we need is a central repository for such
contributions as you listed. That way, there won't be duplication of effort,
the various contributions won't get lost,
where is Benji? seems that Benji is having something else more important/urgent todo.
How about adapting Helmet's wiki?
Too much freedom, anybody can go there and delete the entries. (I tested by adding something and then delete it)
Protection can be added to wiki pages, if there is a need. But I think that Benji's repository inluding a subversion RCS will be a more solid foundation for code-oriented things. The wiki is better for text, cooperation, brainstorming, ideas, tutorials ... I don't think that Benji has better things to do, it may only be a lot more work than he has thought. Let's be patient and hope that he'll successfully master all problems. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 08 2003
parent Benji Smith <dlanguage xxagg.com> writes:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:43:32 +0200, Helmut Leitner
But I think that Benji's repository inluding a subversion RCS will
be a more solid foundation for code-oriented things. The wiki is better
for text, cooperation, brainstorming, ideas, tutorials ...
Yes, I'll have subversion set up as a source control system. It's already set up. But the web interface for it isn't set up yet. For collaboration, there is a phpBB forum. As I've been setting it up, and integrating it with my own code, I've been very impressed by all of the capabilities of phpBB. I think it will be a very handy for project communications. I'll also have a bug-tracking system. At the moment, I'm fairly sure that it will be phpBugTracker (link: http://phpbt.sourceforge.net ). I have it set-up, and it seems to be working, but I haven't done much yet toward integrating it with the rest of the site.
I don't think that Benji has better things to do, it may only be
a lot more work than he has thought. Let's be patient and hope
that he'll successfully master all problems.
Actually, you're both a little bit right. I got in a car accident a few weeks ago. I've been to a half-dozen or so chiropractic appointments, and I've had to spend a ton of time shopping for a new car. So, it's been a very hectic month for me. But this is also a very big project. Especially since I decided to ditch the GForge code and build my own repository site by stitching together various tools (forum, file management, bugtracking, document management) from various different authors. My first priority is to get user registration, project registration, and file-uploads implemented. When that's done, I'll bring the site up live. Then I'll make sure the subversion system is working, and I'll open the doors to that. Then I'll start tinkering around with some other neat features. I haven't stopped working on the repository. Thanks for your patience. It will be here soon [note: depends on your definition of "soon"]. --Benji
Oct 08 2003