D - Newbie wondering about "redist" runtime size, if any

reply "Lynn Allan" <l.allan att.net> writes:
I'm evaluating "D", and wondering whether it had any "redistributable run
time" that an end-user would have to have on their system to run an
executable built with "D". If so, what size is it?

I develop freeware, and much prefer to keep the download size small. Using
mfc42.dll and msvcrt.dll, I can have significant functionality in only 50kb
to 70kb. With nsis1.98, I can have a complete MyApp_Setup.exe in only about
80kb. This is possible because I assume the end-user has Win98-FirstEdition
or later.

I gave up on Java because swing and 1.2 features depend on the 5+ meg j2re.

framework installed.

Does this issue apply to "D"? I compiled/linked the simple hello_world
sample program on one machine, and was able to run it on another baseline
test computer. This makes me suspect that "D" only relies on the Win32 api's
(and possibly msvcrt.dll). If an application uses Phobos, does the end-user
need some extra .dll (or two or three) on their computer?

TIA,
Lynn Allan
Sep 16 2003
next sibling parent Hauke Duden <H.NS.Duden gmx.net> writes:
Lynn Allan wrote:
 I'm evaluating "D", and wondering whether it had any "redistributable run
 time" that an end-user would have to have on their system to run an
 executable built with "D". If so, what size is it?
D generates native code (just like C/C++), so you won't need any virtual machine to run the executable.
 If an application uses Phobos, does the end-user
 need some extra .dll (or two or three) on their computer?
I don't really know, but to hazard a guess.... it wouldn't make much sense to NOT offer a statically linkable version of Phobos if it becomes the default RTL. So I assume that you won't need to distribute any DLLs if you're not using any other additional libraries. Hauke
"Lynn Allan" <l.allan att.net> wrote in message
news:bk7dqn$64o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm evaluating "D", and wondering whether it had any "redistributable run
 time" that an end-user would have to have on their system to run an
 executable built with "D". If so, what size is it?
There is no redistributable runtime dll. D programs are self-contained native executables, unless you actually code in a reference to a DLL yourself.
 I develop freeware, and much prefer to keep the download size small. Using
 mfc42.dll and msvcrt.dll, I can have significant functionality in only
50kb
 to 70kb. With nsis1.98, I can have a complete MyApp_Setup.exe in only
about
 80kb. This is possible because I assume the end-user has
Win98-FirstEdition
 or later.
The fixed overhead of a D executable is on the order of 60Kb or so, any code you write goes on top of that.
 I gave up on Java because swing and 1.2 features depend on the 5+ meg
j2re.

 framework installed.
D doesn't have that issue.
 Does this issue apply to "D"? I compiled/linked the simple hello_world
 sample program on one machine, and was able to run it on another baseline
 test computer. This makes me suspect that "D" only relies on the Win32
api's
 (and possibly msvcrt.dll). If an application uses Phobos, does the
end-user
 need some extra .dll (or two or three) on their computer?
D does not rely on msvcrt.dll, or any other DLL's other than the regular win32 operating system DLL's that every system should have.
Sep 16 2003
parent reply "Lynn Allan" <l.allan att.net> writes:
 The fixed overhead of a D executable is on the order of 60Kb or so, any
code
 you write goes on top of that.
That's consistent with what I experienced. hello.exe from hello.d was less than 70kb. SUPER!
 D does not rely on msvcrt.dll, or any other DLL's other than the regular
 win32 operating system DLL's that every system should have.
Are there any issues with regard to Win95-OSR1 vs Win95-OSR2 vs Win98-FirstEdition vs Win98-SecondEdition vs WinNt vs Win-2000 vs WinXp? My impression is that the core dll's may have changed, especially after Win95. Are there things to be aware of if an app should run on a Win95 computer? TIA
Sep 18 2003
next sibling parent "Julio César Carrascal Urquijo" <adnoctum phreaker.net> writes:
 Are there any issues with regard to Win95-OSR1 vs Win95-OSR2 vs
 Win98-FirstEdition vs Win98-SecondEdition vs WinNt vs Win-2000 vs WinXp?
My
 impression is that the core dll's may have changed, especially after
Win95.
 Are there things to be aware of if an app should run on a Win95 computer?
Usually installing IE5/IE6 in win95 updates most system dlls to win98se or so. Specially after installing DCOM98
"Lynn Allan" <l.allan att.net> wrote in message
news:bkbvlp$2b9p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The fixed overhead of a D executable is on the order of 60Kb or so, any
code
 you write goes on top of that.
That's consistent with what I experienced. hello.exe from hello.d was less than 70kb. SUPER!
 D does not rely on msvcrt.dll, or any other DLL's other than the regular
 win32 operating system DLL's that every system should have.
Are there any issues with regard to Win95-OSR1 vs Win95-OSR2 vs Win98-FirstEdition vs Win98-SecondEdition vs WinNt vs Win-2000 vs WinXp?
My
 impression is that the core dll's may have changed, especially after
Win95.
 Are there things to be aware of if an app should run on a Win95 computer?
The core dll's do change, but that doesn't affect D programs any more than it affects C or C++ programs. None of the core stuff should be affected.
Sep 18 2003