D - dig 0.0.14 and dmd 0.69 problems

reply "Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivi stud.ntnu.no> writes:
It seems to me that dig hasn't been updated for
dmd 0.69.

In the digc files, strings are represented with ' ', which
don't compile. r" " must be used since there er slashes
there. There are also other problems with character
literals like \n (which don't work with D, but they should
methinks).

I looked at the errors in digc, but in the end, I didn't get
it to compile.

Lars Ivar Igesund
Aug 24 2003
next sibling parent Alen Siljak <Alen_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bia15t$28uf$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...
I looked at the errors in digc, but in the end, I didn't get
it to compile.
And that continues with DIDE not being able to compile the project. It can compile a single .d file. Maybe I should try the full version? Could someone make dig(c) available in binary form? Metta, Alen
Aug 24 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
Since Burton has been kinda lost lately, I modified my dig sources (0.0.12)
so they could compile. You can download from
http://dblinux.sis.epn.edu.ec/~csantand/dig.html (if the site suddenly isn't
available or is too slow or whatever, it wouldn't be my fault). Hope it
helps someone.

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---

Aug 24 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> wrote in message
news:bibkih$1iqf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| Since Burton has been kinda lost lately, I modified my dig sources
(0.0.12)
| so they could compile. You can download from
| http://dblinux.sis.epn.edu.ec/~csantand/dig.html (if the site suddenly
isn't
| available or is too slow or whatever, it wouldn't be my fault). Hope it
| helps someone.

Just in case ppl in my uni decide to shut down the servers, you can go here:
http://earth.prohosting.com/carlos3/dig.html. However, dig.zip won't
download properly using tools like DAP and such (or so it seems), and/or
using netscape. It works just fine with ie6 w/o downloading tools.

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---

Aug 24 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
I downloaded dig 0.14 and modified it to compile under dmd 0.70. Again, I've
put available for other to use it.
http://dblinux.sis.epn.edu.ec/~csantand/dig.html
http://earth.prohosting.com/carlos3/dig.html

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---

Aug 27 2003
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Carlos Santander B. wrote:
 I downloaded dig 0.14 and modified it to compile under dmd 0.70. Again, I've
 put available for other to use it.
 http://dblinux.sis.epn.edu.ec/~csantand/dig.html
 http://earth.prohosting.com/carlos3/dig.html

 —————————————————————————
 Carlos Santander

Thanks for doing this, Carlos! I downloaded your modified dig, and it did indeed fix the string literal problem. There is one hangup, though. For some reason the dig\makefile does not work as is in your zipfile. For some reason your makefile is different than the original. A simple change: BASEDIR = c:\ to BASEDIR = c: ... and everything compiled just fine. Later, John
Aug 28 2003
next sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Hmm im still getting a problem

net\BurtonRadons\dig\windows\registry.d(79): undefined escape sequence \D

net\BurtonRadons\dig\windows\registry.d(79): semicolon expected, not
'SoftwareDD
ig'

Anyone else get this ?

Charles
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:bikspr$m9t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Carlos Santander B. wrote:
 I downloaded dig 0.14 and modified it to compile under dmd 0.70. Again,
I've
 put available for other to use it.
 http://dblinux.sis.epn.edu.ec/~csantand/dig.html
 http://earth.prohosting.com/carlos3/dig.html

 —————————————————————————
 Carlos Santander
Thanks for doing this, Carlos! I downloaded your modified dig, and it did indeed fix the string literal problem. There is one hangup, though. For some reason the dig\makefile does not work as is in your zipfile. For some reason your makefile is different than the original. A simple change: BASEDIR = c:\ to BASEDIR = c: ... and everything compiled just fine. Later, John
Aug 28 2003
parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Nevermind Im still using the old compiler, where is the new one ?!?

Charles

news:bim3td$2m8f$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 -------------------------
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Alen Siljak <alen djesi.ba_nospam> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Thanks for doing this, Carlos!  I downloaded your modified dig, and it
 did indeed fix the string literal problem.

 There is one hangup, though.  For some reason the dig\makefile does not
 work as is in your zipfile.  For some reason your makefile is different
 than the original.  A simple change:

 BASEDIR = c:\
 BASEDIR = c:

 ... and everything compiled just fine.
Changing Basedir was my first problem. After fixing that I'm still getting net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): unsupported char '`' net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): semicolon expected, not '0' net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): Declaration expected, not '0' and so on. Are you all compiling on Windows or what? :) Alen
Aug 29 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:

 Changing Basedir was my first problem. After fixing that I'm still getting

 net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): unsupported char '`'
 net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): semicolon expected, not '0'
 net\BurtonRadons\digc\digc.d(18): Declaration expected, not '0'

 and so on. Are you all compiling on Windows or what? :)

 Alen

Yes, unless there's a Linux version of DIG -- I wish! :D Are you sure you're using at least dmd 0.69? Better check the version on that just in case. It won't recognize the new `` string literals that Carlos modified in DIG, otherwise. If the "unsupported char" error is fixed, it should get through everything else. The current DIDE still doesn't work with 0.70 DMD as far as I know. I was using the command line makefile to build it. John
Aug 29 2003
John Reimer wrote:
 Are you sure you're using at least dmd 0.69? Better check the version on
 that just in case.  It won't recognize the new `` string literals that
Hahaaa! You're right, of course. I never unpacked the 0.70 that I downloaded. I guess I was in a hurry at the time. :( So, after eliminating the backslash and *upgrading to 0.70* (didn't work with the previous version) everything compiles. This is a recommendation to include the notice and delete the '\' in the first line of makefile.
 The current DIDE still doesn't work with 0.70 DMD as far as I know.  I
 was using the command line makefile to build it.
Will try something after (or during) the weekend. I have a couple ideas of trying a combination of D and QT libraries... Metta, Alen
Aug 29 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:

 Will try something after (or during) the weekend. I have a couple ideas
 of trying a combination of D and QT libraries...

Oh, sounds like fun! QT on Linux or Windows?
Aug 30 2003
parent reply Alen Siljak <Alen_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bipva4$2iqp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...

 Will try something after (or during) the weekend. I have a couple ideas
 of trying a combination of D and QT libraries...

Oh, sounds like fun! QT on Linux or Windows?
Doesn't matter. That's the point! ;) Though, I'm not quite fond of QT's license so I will look for some other multi-platform libraries. But Charles did a great job with dig, too! We might be able to use the controls available with Windows... Best, Alen
Aug 31 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 Doesn't matter. That's the point! ;)
 Though, I'm not quite fond of QT's license so I will look for some other
 multi-platform libraries. But Charles did a great job with dig, too! We might
be
 able to use the controls available with Windows...

No, I'm not fond of QT's license either. DIG does show much promise. I'd like to see it ported over to linux somehow. What do you mean Charles did a great job with dig? I'm pretty sure it's all Burton Radons work. Later, John
Aug 31 2003
parent Alen Siljak <alen djesi.ba_nospam> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 No, I'm not fond of QT's license either.  DIG does show much promise.
 I'd like to see it ported over to linux somehow.
Let's see VxWindows or something similar.
 What do you mean Charles did a great job with dig?  I'm pretty sure it's
 all Burton Radons work.
My fault, sorry. Give credit where credit is due - thanks to Burton for the good work on dig! Best, Alen
Sep 01 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:bincj1$1hrp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| Yes, unless there's a Linux version of DIG -- I wish! :D

What about DUI?

parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bj0e28$2n9r$4 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander B. says...
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:bincj1$1hrp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| Yes, unless there's a Linux version of DIG -- I wish! :D

What about DUI?
DUI it's comming along just fine, still working on it. There lots of new code implementing all of the gtk widgets (although some still incomplete or not tested). Most of the common callbacks are also in. I believe all the (major) problems are solved, I just need time to code every thing into DUI. The goal for now is to have all the gtk core widgets in. Threads and timers and atk lib, those things will be left for later. I'm getting ready for a new release (3) just want to create an auto config Makefile and compile it on w2k (probably the w2k will have to wait for relase 4). You can always get the latest version from the night build page. (probably better to get version 2 and them dump the night build over it). Some twiking will be necessary. I also started a very simple ide that helped me find some bugs. it's called 'leds' ('linux editor for D' or for window 'light editor for D') the 's' is a qualifier: for now means simple and superfluous. the idea is to use Scintilla and a D parser (maybe from dmd) to create a simple usefull tool. The inspiration was the simplicity of jext. Ant lobbying for: ;) - change this() to ctor(), ~this() to dtor() - inner classes with access to the outer class, not just nested.
Sep 01 2003
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 I'm getting ready for a new release (3) just want to create an
 auto config Makefile and compile it on w2k
 (probably the w2k will have to wait for relase 4).
I forgot about DUI! If it will work on both Linux and Windows that would be great. Although, I thought it was Linux only project since it was using GTK+. I know there is a GTK library for windows, but from what I here it is still buggy. I know the GIMP for windows uses it; but last I tried, it seems to have window redraw problems. I would think that it would be much better to hook into native window drawing calls for the Windows implementation. So how will the Windows version of DUI work? Will it use GTK+ or Native windows API?

 You can always get the latest version from the night build page.
 (probably better to get version 2 and them dump the night build
 over it). Some twiking will be necessary.
I'll take a look.
 I also started a very simple ide that helped me find some bugs.
 it's called 'leds' ('linux editor for D' or for window 'light editor for D')
 the 's' is a qualifier: for now means simple and superfluous.
 the idea is to use Scintilla and a D parser (maybe from dmd) to create a
 simple usefull tool.
 The inspiration was the simplicity of jext.
Nice! I like the idea of having a Linux windowing toolkit so soon. And I think GTK+ is a great choice for the underlying interface for Linux. Are you using GTK+ 1.2 or 2.2? Keep up the good work! Later, John
Sep 01 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bj0p4a$5d3$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...

I know there is a GTK library for windows, but from what
I here it is still buggy.
Yep, the gtk-text demo crashed on me... others ran fine. (DUI did not compile yet on windows)
So how will the Windows version of DUI work? Will it use GTK+ or Native
windows API?
GTK+, 100%. I dont believe DUI needs to know what OS is running.
Nice!  I like the idea of having a Linux windowing toolkit so soon.  And
I think GTK+ is a great choice for the underlying interface for Linux.
Are you using GTK+ 1.2 or 2.2?
2.2.2
Keep up the good work!
Thanks Ant
Sep 01 2003
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.com> writes:
Ant wrote:
 In article <bj0p4a$5d3$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...

I know there is a GTK library for windows, but from what
I here it is still buggy.
Yep, the gtk-text demo crashed on me... others ran fine. (DUI did not compile yet on windows)
GAIM uses GTK+ 2.2.2 on Windows, and while I've seen some bugs with tooltips staying around when the main window loses focus, that's been about it. And I use it a ton every day. I hope this bodes well for DUI for Win. BA
Sep 01 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 GAIM uses GTK+ 2.2.2 on Windows, and while I've seen some bugs with
 tooltips staying around when the main window loses focus, that's been
 about it.  And I use it a ton every day.  I hope this bodes well for DUI
 for Win.
That's definitely good to hear. I haven't played with the most recent GTK+ version, myself. Does it allow the changing of "themes" on the window platform? I noticed all the screenshots at the GTK+ windows port sites showed the default ugly blocky theme. I don't like the stock theme provided in the windows gimp port either (same one, I think). There were no examples like the linux screenshots Ant provided. They have just got to provide a prettier default theme than that! Later, John
Sep 02 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 Does it allow the changing of "themes" on the window platform?  I
 noticed all the screenshots at the GTK+ windows port sites showed the
 default ugly blocky theme.  I don't like the stock theme provided in the
 windows gimp port either (same one, I think).  There were no examples
 like the linux screenshots Ant provided.  They have just got to provide
 a prettier default theme than that!

In case my poor handle of written English confuses someone, the last sentence inherited the characteristics of a misplaced modifier. I meant to say: The theme in Ant's demonstration screenshot was great. I don't like the default theme provided in the windows port of GTK. The Windows port people should provide a theme similar to the one Ant demonstrated.
Sep 02 2003
parent "Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivi stud.ntnu.no> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote:

 The theme in Ant's demonstration screenshot was great.  I don't like the
 default theme provided in the windows port of GTK.  The Windows port
 people should provide a theme similar to the one Ant demonstrated.
Gaim comes with 3 additional themes for the windows version, so it is at least possible to change the looks of WinGTK programs. Lars Ivar
Sep 02 2003
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
What I'd also like to see in DUI is a CanvasGL similar to what Burton
did in DIG.  I don't know how that would be done, but it sure would
simplify cross platform OpenGL development.

I know such a feature won't be something that would be done right away,
since the basic DUI library needs to be completed, but it would be a
nice feature to add in the future.

Good work on DUI, Ant! Those are pretty GTK+ pictures :)

Later,

John
Sep 01 2003
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bj0psr$6h4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
What I'd also like to see in DUI is a CanvasGL similar to what Burton
did in DIG.  I don't know how that would be done, but it sure would
simplify cross platform OpenGL development.
There are at least to ways of supporting it on GTK, I'll have to look at it (volunteers welcome).
I know such a feature won't be something that would be done right away,
since the basic DUI library needs to be completed, but it would be a
nice feature to add in the future.
For sure. Ant
Sep 01 2003
prev sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:bikspr$m9t$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| There is one hangup, though.  For some reason the dig\makefile does not
| work as is in your zipfile.  For some reason your makefile is different
| than the original.  A simple change:
|
| BASEDIR = c:\

| BASEDIR = c:
|
| ... and everything compiled just fine.
|
| Later,
|
| John

Well, yeah, my fault. I have dig in another directory, so I tried to leave
it as it originally was, but I forgot to delete that '\'. Someday I'll see
if I change the .zip...

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---

prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
All the DIG examples that were compiled now open a console window first
when they are run (that stays open behind the program window).  Anybody
know how I can get rid of these?  I don't recall this happening on
earlier versions.

(dedit and cartoon examples specifically)

Later,

John
Aug 28 2003
parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 All the DIG examples that were compiled now open a console window first
 when they are run (that stays open behind the program window).  Anybody
 know how I can get rid of these?  I don't recall this happening on
 earlier versions.

 (dedit and cartoon examples specifically)

Nevermind... Found the -windowed option :-P
Aug 28 2003