D - Suggestion for MI

reply "Philippe Mori" <philippe_mori hotmail.com> writes:
I understand that MI (multiple inheritance) can causes some problems
but I do believe that it has some uses. I think I have found a
compromise that would allows us to have most of the benefit
while avoiding the problems.

We could allows multiple private (non-virtual) bases so that we can
uses MI for implementation purpose or to override some virtual
functions...

In fact, I would prefer an inheritance more restrictive than in C++
(I would call it hidden) where form the outside we cannot see it
at all (no is-a relashionship).

We may support some form of delegation though by explictly
asking it (I would also like delegation to member if not already
supported).

Also, I think it would be usefull to be able to give an alias to
each base class when specifying the base... I C++, we have to
do a typedef but nothing prevent us to misspell it or to forget to
modify it when adding a class in the hierarchy.

Note that for the public base, we will still uses the super keyword.

Another solution would be to support nested objects with access
to the outer one (from the language). Maybe this could be done
from an unnamed class object or with a keyword that tell that the
class is intended to be used "nested" (and thus have access to the
outer object).
Aug 19 2003
parent reply "Philippe Mori" <philippe_mori hotmail.com> writes:
[...]

In my case I may like MI for implementation particulary when it comes to templates (so that we can do things as in ATL for example). Note that if we support inner object with access to the outer one and automatic delegation (if desired) to inner object (including type conversion if desired), MI could be replaced: class outer { inner_class inner_type { void f() { // Here I would like access to outer... } }inner; // also indicate delegation order... } // Here I want to be able to uses inner_type like that: outer o; o.f(); // f does not exist in outer, delegate to inner.
Aug 20 2003