D - Making dig on win32

reply BenjiSmith <BenjiSmith_member pathlink.com> writes:
I feel a little daft for postsing this question, but here goes, anyhow:

I'd like to install dig (and particularly digc, since I'm getting tired of
managing dependencies myself), so I downloaded it, but I have to run the go.bat
file, which in turn calls "make install".

The only C/C++ compiler I have installed on this machine is the freshly
downloaded DMC compiler, and it didn't come with gnumake. So I went to the gnu
site to download gnumake, and there are no precompiled win32 binaries. I looked
at the contents of the archive, and sure enough, there are makefiles. How am I
supposed to run make to compile gnumake if I don't have make installed yet?

So I'm sitting here staring at the dig and digc stuff (that I'd love to be using
right now), and I'm feeling a little too stupid to figure out what I need to do
next. Please forgive my ignorance, but my programming experience so far has been
limited to Java, JavaScript, PHP, VB, and perl (as well as various markup
languages). I've done some C++ programming, but always from within VC++, and I'm
at a loss for how to get gnumake installed.

Maybe Burton could provide some precompiled binaries of digc in addition to the
source?
Aug 05 2003
next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Stop glazing so sadly at your "ignorance"! Stare better at \dmc\bin.
Nah, see it? make.exe. *This* and not GNU make, is the make intended to
be used with dig! Just make sure it's in your path.

BTW, if you want some common UNIX utilities cleanly ported to Windows,
including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i
remember correctly...

But you don't need it now.

-i.
Aug 05 2003
next sibling parent reply "Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> writes:
"Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> wrote in message
news:bgpe3l$2brq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
| remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i

http://www.mingw.org So hard to remember =P
Aug 05 2003
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
Snappish this morning, boys

--
Matthew Wilson

STLSoft moderator and C++ monomaniac

mailto:matthew stlsoft.org
http://www.stlsoft.org

"If i'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk
fast, and I need you guys to act fast" -- Mr Wolf

---

"Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> wrote in message
news:bgpgob$2egc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> wrote in message
 news:bgpe3l$2brq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
 | remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i

 http://www.mingw.org So hard to remember =P
Aug 05 2003
parent "Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> writes:
=)

news:bgpjtk$2hge$2 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Greg Peet wrote:
 "Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> wrote in message
 news:bgpe3l$2brq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
 | remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i

 http://www.mingw.org So hard to remember =P

also http://cygwin.com
Aug 06 2003
prev sibling parent "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
"Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> wrote in message
news:bgpgob$2egc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> wrote in message
 news:bgpe3l$2brq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
 | remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i

 http://www.mingw.org So hard to remember =P
I've been using cygwin as I had problems with make and dmd under msys (use msys gcj) and cygwin for palmos dev. e.g. $(OBJ_DIR)/%.obj : %.d $(DMD) $(subst /,\,$<) $(DFLAGS) -o$(subst /,\,$(OBJ_DIR)/$(SRC_DIR)) which works under cygwin but under msys I could not get it working even with subst( /, \\ .... ) I'm using 2K which like NT4 I beileve can handle unix paths although is seems dmd does not quite like them if someone gets makefiles working under msys plz post what you used as I'd prefer to use msys but as cygwin worked I used it (I'd prefer to be using msys as its less to download) and put on each machine, and my makefiles use gnu make isms quite extensively.
Aug 07 2003
prev sibling parent BenjiSmith <BenjiSmith_member pathlink.com> writes:
Aha. Thanks.

--Benji Smith

In article <bgpe3l$2brq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
Stop glazing so sadly at your "ignorance"! Stare better at \dmc\bin.
Nah, see it? make.exe. *This* and not GNU make, is the make intended to
be used with dig! Just make sure it's in your path.

BTW, if you want some common UNIX utilities cleanly ported to Windows,
including GNU make, you can come by at the MinGW project site (i can't
remember the URL, it's easy to find), and there you'll see MSYS, if i
remember correctly...

But you don't need it now.

-i.
Aug 06 2003
prev sibling parent "DeadCow" <deadcow-remove-this free.fr> writes:
"BenjiSmith" <BenjiSmith_member pathlink.com> a écrit dans le message news:
bgpckv$2ac0$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 The only C/C++ compiler I have installed on this machine is the freshly
 downloaded DMC compiler, and it didn't come with gnumake. So I went to the
gnu
 site to download gnumake, and there are no precompiled win32 binaries. I
looked
 at the contents of the archive, and sure enough, there are makefiles. How
am I
 supposed to run make to compile gnumake if I don't have make installed
yet? In the gnumake package for win32 there is a script called win32-build.bat or something like that. Just run it, you dont need make for that. Before running it, you must do a change in the script ( its broken ) and add entries for hash.c in the debug & release "target". <message to walter> I was unable to build "parrot" with you version of make because of a "read error at line ...". Do you want the makefile for debuging ? </message to walter> -- Nicolas Repiquet
Aug 05 2003