D - Website menu pane

reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Maybe it's just me, but I find the menu pane on the D website less than
optimal.

If it was broken up a little, such as the following, and the
language-specific parts alphabetised, it'd be far quicker to use. (I find
myself faffing round trying to find the thing I'm after, and when in a
rush - as now - it can be tedious)

 Introduction
 Overview
 Lexical

 Arrays
 Inline Assembler - should be called "Assembler (inline)"
 Attributes
 Classes
 Contracts
 Declarations
 Handling errors - should be called "Error handling"
 Expressions
 Floating Point
 Functions
 Garbage Collection
 Interfaces
 Memory Management
 Memory Model
 Modules
 Operator Overloading
 Properties
 Statements
 Structs, Unions, Enums
 Types
 Templates
 Versioning

 Interfacing To C
 Portability Guide
 Embedding D in HTML
 Converting C to D
 Converting C++ to D
 The C Preprocessor vs D
 D for Win32
 D vs C/C++/C#/Java
 Style Guide

 D Compiler
 Phobos (Runtime Library)

 Example: wc
 Future
 D Change Log
 D links
 Acknowledgements

Also, it could do with some more items. One on multithreading, for example,
would be good. I'm just about to do some, and an example would be very much
appreciated. :)

Flame away!
Apr 12 2003
parent reply Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
Matthew Wilson wrote:

 Maybe it's just me, but I find the menu pane on the D website less than
 optimal.

Me too.
 If it was broken up a little, such as the following, and the
 language-specific parts alphabetised, it'd be far quicker to use. (I find
 myself faffing round trying to find the thing I'm after, and when in a
 rush - as now - it can be tedious)

  Introduction
  Overview
  Lexical

  D Change Log
  D links
  Acknowledgements

 Also, it could do with some more items. One on multithreading, for example,
 would be good. I'm just about to do some, and an example would be very much
 appreciated. :)

I also find the order if items in the original not very intuitive. On the other hand, an alphabetical ordering of the main parts seems even worse to me. An index for keywords would be desirable. It could be built if all the subheaders of the pages had HTML name tags. For the moment I built a page <http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageSpecification/Original> that mentions the most important keywords (for searching) and may be used for individual adaptations of the specs: <http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageSpecification/Ver2> <http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageSpecification/Ver3> Version 2 is your list above. Version 3 is an ordering that I like (at least at the moment). Everyone can have a try and create a personalized version he likes. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Apr 13 2003
"Helmut Leitner" <helmut.leitner chello.at> wrote in message
news:3E999270.E51A2781 chello.at...
 Matthew Wilson wrote:
 Maybe it's just me, but I find the menu pane on the D website less than
 optimal.

Me too.

The way it is is a result of it being an ad-hoc accretion. Certainly, it could be improved.
Apr 19 2003