D - untangling import

reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
IMHO the current import name system will lead to
I think we will see lots of collisions similar to

   import windows.d (which one? phobos? pavel's?)

in the future.

Why not learn a bit from Java. Java suggest to prefix imports
with the own name or domain preserving "java" for its own use.

Using this

  import phobos.windows
  import pavel.windows
  import com.mycorp.lib.windows

could live happily together.

If we then would standardize on a source tree like

  c:\dm\...
  c:\dmd\...

  c:\d\pavel\...
  c:\d\dig\...
  c:\d\myname\aproject\...
  c:\d\com\mycorp\lib\...

and default includes (in c:\dmd\bin\sc.ini):

   DFLAGS="-I\dmd\src -I\d"

we could exchange and use our code a lot easier.

--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
next sibling parent Benji Smith <Benji_member pathlink.com> writes:
I agree wholeheartedly.

--Benji

In article <3E943279.380DFC7C hls.via.at>, Helmut Leitner says...

Using this

  import phobos.windows
  import pavel.windows
  import com.mycorp.lib.windows

could live happily together.

If we then would standardize on a source tree like

  c:\dm\...
  c:\dmd\...

  c:\d\pavel\...
  c:\d\dig\...
  c:\d\myname\aproject\...
  c:\d\com\mycorp\lib\...

and default includes (in c:\dmd\bin\sc.ini):

   DFLAGS="-I\dmd\src -I\d"

we could exchange and use our code a lot easier.

--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
Apr 09 2003
prev sibling parent "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
That's what I've done.

My D stuff is under my free-arm - SynSoft - which is the imprint for doing
D, Java, .NET, Perl and Python. (http://synsoft.org, if anyone's
interested). The D modules take the form

 synsoft.win32.perf
 synsoft.text.token
 synsoft.com.combase

etc.

I've not bothered with the .org, as in org.synsoft.win32.perf.

As you say, I can't imagine anything other than this causing problems.
Indeed, I think the base stuff should be prefixed either with d, or with
phobos, as in

 d.lang.string
 phobos.win32.gdi

etc.