D - Wiki - some questions

reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
It seems that Dan currently hasn't the time to push the wiki
idea forward. I just wanted to supply a free and alternative
hardware and software system and didn't intend to put a lot
of work into it (act as a host). But to make a start, I would
build an initial set of pages need to discuss some typical
issues that are part of founding a wiki.

====

Copyright:

May we assume that any Wiki about D should use the
FDL as the basic copyright policy?

This would mean that the wiki can savely be used by anyone
to work on FAQs, examples or other parts of documentation
that may then at any time become parts of official sites
or other websites.

====

Testing:

Are there people except Dan and me that know the wiki
and are willing to test and decide on some points
  - compare performance and features
  - decide about layout and configuration
  - decide about which wiki platform to use
  - decide about necessary developments
  - ....

In other words it would be nice to form a small
wiki workgroup.

====

Use of this newsgroup content:

The main advantage of a wiki compared to a newsgroup is
that information can be better organized and reworked.

But this is not for everybody. There are people that
like the direct questions and discussions of a forum.
Other people like to gather the information bits and
pieces to create an ordered picture. It's like the
difference between hunters and gatherers. A forum and
a wiki make good companions if the work can be divided
that way.

May we assume, that the content of this newsgroup may
be taken and reworked (with due respect and credit to
the contributors) into the wiki, without asking for
permission in every single case? (wiki under FDL)

--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
next sibling parent Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
The first wiki (DWIKI, Dan Liebgold) is available at
   <http://dlanguage.netunify.com/1>

To avoid confusion I renamed the new wiki to "Wiki4D" which
is now available at
   <http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi>
which seems more fitting. But the previous link
   <http://wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi>
is still working.

I changed the layout to a more classical style using standard
HTML, so everybody can chose a favorite font and size
by using his browser preferences.

The frontpage now contains a quickly compiled list of
the main resources I found. I would be grateful if someone
could check this.

The next steps would be
  - to build a roadmap for examples
  - to build a roadmap for FAQs
  - to add as many wiki howto pages as necessary

There are a number of feature hidden from occasional visitors
(and  robots), that become visible when you store a username
at the "Preferences". This adds links to an RCS revision
archive, a printer friendly version of the page, page deletion
and a few other functions.

If someone wants to try file upload, there is 20 MB upload
quota available for a user=duser (password=duser).

--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
Mar 27 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Benji Smith <Benji_member pathlink.com> writes:
My one piece of input is this: use the Wiki from c2.com. It's the most common
wiki platform and, among people who are familiar with wikis, most people are
familiar with how to use the c2.com wiki.

Also, I can't imagine that anyone would mind if you pull text from the newsgroup
to populate the wiki with info. I for one would welcome that effort, since it
would make the newsgroup info a little easier to find.

--Benji

In article <3E82C7A1.89910745 hls.via.at>, Helmut Leitner says...

parent Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
Benji Smith wrote:
 My one piece of input is this: use the Wiki from c2.com. It's the most common
 wiki platform and, among people who are familiar with wikis, most people are
 familiar with how to use the c2.com wiki.
Ward published only a simple implementation together with his book, that's far from being state of the art. Ward's real wiki software from c2.com is not available. BTW its only strength is its ability to cope with heavy load. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Mar 27 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Jon Allen" <jallen minotstateu.edu> writes:
"Note: All posters to the Digital Mars newsgroups or mailing list agree to
release all claims to intellectual property rights in any posted or emailed
feedback to Digital Mars."

I think that means that Walter has the copyright to everything in the
newsgroup.  Of course I'm no lawyer and phrases like "intellectual property
rights" make my eyes glaze over, so I may be wrong.

 "Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:3E82C7A1.89910745 hls.via.at...
[...]

"Jon Allen" <jallen minotstateu.edu> wrote in message
news:b604v0$2mf7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 release all claims to intellectual property rights in any posted or
emailed
 feedback to Digital Mars."

 I think that means that Walter has the copyright to everything in the
 newsgroup.  Of course I'm no lawyer and phrases like "intellectual
property
 rights" make my eyes glaze over, so I may be wrong.
I'll revise that.
Mar 31 2003