D - Disruptive Languages

reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
http://www.research.microsoft.com/~toddpro/papers/disruptive.ppt
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b26d0s$2ido$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.research.microsoft.com/~toddpro/papers/disruptive.ppt
It's in powerpoint format. Oh well.
Feb 09 2003
parent reply John Smith <jphn example.net> writes:
google.com translates to images, and openoffice supports powerpoint.
what are you complaining about?  why would microsoft NOT use their own
product?  its not out of reach any more.

Walter wrote:
 "Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:b26d0s$2ido$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~toddpro/papers/disruptive.ppt
It's in powerpoint format. Oh well.
Explorer, which I use, won't display it. But google will, thanks for the
tip. -Walter

news:b26ld0$2mj8$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 Walter wrote:
 "Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:b26d0s$2ido$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~toddpro/papers/disruptive.ppt
It's in powerpoint format. Oh well.
Feb 09 2003
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> writes:
There's a free viewer you can download anyway.

news:b26noh$2nti$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Walter wrote:
 "Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:b26d0s$2ido$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~toddpro/papers/disruptive.ppt
It's in powerpoint format. Oh well.
"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> wrote in message
news:b27up8$cp2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There's a free viewer you can download anyway.
Got a url handy?
Feb 10 2003
parent reply "Peter Hercek" <vvp no.post.spam.sk> writes:
I have used this one and it worked with the presentation:
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Ppview97.aspx

news:b28upb$11fc$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> wrote in message
 news:b27up8$cp2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There's a free viewer you can download anyway.
Got a url handy?
Ah, that was the ticket! It works fine. -Walter

"Peter Hercek" <vvp no.post.spam.sk> wrote in message
news:b29j1u$4i0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I have used this one and it worked with the presentation:
 http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Ppview97.aspx
Feb 10 2003
prev sibling parent reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
The free OpenOffice.org suite can import/export PowerPoint, as it can all other
MS Office formats.  I just viewed this particular file with no problems.

There is also a free PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft.com.

This slide show is important for D in that it offers a more balanced perspective
on the performance issue than what I've seen here at DM.

Mark
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b2hk40$4uo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This slide show is important for D in that it offers a more balanced
perspective
 on the performance issue than what I've seen here at DM.
True. D is designed to be a language that potentially can be much better optimized than the equivalent C code. Already, D does better on the dhrystone benchmark than C because of this. But the current compiler has only scratched the surface of the possible performance improvements. The first goal is to get the right semantics, and then implement a correct compiler.
Feb 13 2003