D - Numerical Analyst as Curmudgeon

reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Java, and Microsoft’s compilers with Windows NT, 2000 and XP are dangerous to
use for floating-point computation."

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/Curmudge.pdf
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b24bf9$1hn9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Java, and Microsoft's compilers with Windows NT, 2000 and XP are
dangerous to
 use for floating-point computation."

 http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/Curmudge.pdf
I did read Prof. Kahan's papers in designing D <g>.
Feb 09 2003
parent reply "Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini lycosmail.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:b2589r$1vrl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
 I did read Prof. Kahan's papers in designing D <g>.
And what about what IEEE 754 calls a " Trap" ? http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf page 20-25? Ciao
"Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini lycosmail.com> wrote in message
news:b2a95j$g9e$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
 news:b2589r$1vrl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 [...]
 I did read Prof. Kahan's papers in designing D <g>.
And what about what IEEE 754 calls a " Trap" ? http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf page 20-25?
D sets the FPU in a mode where it accumulates exception flags, and the programmer can decide when and where to inspect them.
Feb 10 2003
parent reply "Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini lycosmail.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:b2aaeu$gpe$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 D sets the FPU in a mode where it accumulates exception flags, and the
 programmer can decide when and where to inspect them.
In http://www.digitalmars.com/d/float.html it's stated that the D Language should do that. But I can't understand the "[blah, blah, blah]" part :-) Surely I think that a Trap should raise an exception, or a library function can be called to set the runtime in a throw-an-exception mode. Ciao
"Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini lycosmail.com> wrote in message
news:b2ieom$reu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
 news:b2aaeu$gpe$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 D sets the FPU in a mode where it accumulates exception flags, and the
 programmer can decide when and where to inspect them.
In http://www.digitalmars.com/d/float.html it's stated that the D Language should do that. But I can't understand the "[blah, blah, blah]" part :-)
Get the new Opera "bork" browser, that should provide a ready translation. <g>
 Surely I think that a Trap should raise an exception, or a library
function
 can be called to set the runtime in a throw-an-exception mode.
I think experience in C has shown this to be a less than useful feature. Setting the sticky flags in the FPU seems to be much more practical.
Feb 14 2003