D - D Project Status

reply Michael Lee Yohe <myohe redhat.com> writes:
I would like to hear from the persons responsible for bringing the world
"D" the status of the project, compiler, and the amount of effort being
put into play to expand and define the language.  While it looks to be
quite promising, there is something sweet about a language that has
existed for 20+ years and is still being actively used.  This is largely
due to the amount of effort (from many, many people) into C.  I'm
anxious to see if this is vaporware, or if we're dealing something that
is serious enough to contribute time to.

--

Michael Lee Yohe (myohe+USENET redhat.com)
Software Developer, Engineering Services

QUIPd 0.12:
-> One man with courage is a majority.
-> - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Aug 29 2001
The compiler exists, but is a bit buggy. The runtime library is a bit
embryonic. The other tools - linker, make, etc., are all done & mature since
they come from the C/C++ compiler.

I'm currently working on building a better garbage collector.

parent reply Michael Lee Yohe <myohe redhat.com> writes:
 The compiler exists, but is a bit buggy. The runtime library is a bit
 embryonic. The other tools - linker, make, etc., are all done & mature
 since they come from the C/C++ compiler.

 I'm currently working on building a better garbage collector.
Are you the only one working on the project? If not, how many others are working on the project? Is "D" going to be closed-source or open-source? How far is the project expected to take "D" - into the commercial arena? or specifically a hobby language? -- Michael Lee Yohe (myohe+USENET redhat.com) Software Developer, Engineering Services Red Hat, Inc. QUIPd 0.12: -> You might say that Perl allows you to be paradigmatic -> without being "paradogmatic". -> - Larry Wall
Aug 30 2001
next sibling parent Chris Friesen <chris_friesen sympatico.ca> writes:
Michael Lee Yohe wrote:

 Is "D" going to be closed-source or open-source?
D is a language spec. Walter has specifically stated previously that if someone want to write the appropriate stuff to allow gcc to compile D, then he's all for it. Chris
Aug 30 2001
 The compiler exists, but is a bit buggy. The runtime library is a bit
 embryonic. The other tools - linker, make, etc., are all done & mature
 since they come from the C/C++ compiler.

 I'm currently working on building a better garbage collector.
Are you the only one working on the project? If not, how many others are working on the project? Is "D" going to be closed-source or open-source? How far is the project expected to take "D" - into the commercial arena? or specifically a hobby language?
Hobby? No way. I have no time for hobbies <g>. I've done several professional compilers from scratch, so I think I know what I'm doing there. I would like for there to be a free version of the compiler, and I expect most of the libraries to be open source. The mechanics of all this needs to be worked out. But first things first - I have to get the language spec about 90% complete and a solid compiler implementing it.
Aug 30 2001