D - calling method from another 'd' file

reply paul stanton <paul_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm a java background developer trying to get a feel for this language. come
across my first stumbling block. simply want to call a method from a different
'.d' file. i have seen this technique used in the wc.d/file.d example. cant
figure out why it wont work for me. my simple test example follows (keep in
mind, files are in same directory and i am trying to compile 'test1.d'). is
there something obvious that i have missed?

the result of my compile of test1.d....
test1.obj(test1)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _Dtest2_testMethod_FZi
--- errorlevel 1

--------------
test1.d
--------------
import c.stdio;
import test2;

int main(char[][] args)
{
printf("%d", testMethod());
return 0;
}
--------------
test2.d
--------------
import c.stdio;

int testMethod()
{
return 1;
}
--------------
Jan 16 2003
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Try compiling both source files on the commandline in one call (ie "dmd
test1.d test2.d").

The alternative is to build all your source files with the -c switch,
which generates .OBJ (object code) for each source file, then link those
all up with the link command.

  -- andy

paul stanton wrote:
[...]

parent reply Paul Stanton <Paul_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks. ok, now i think i understand the 3 files and their relevance...

exe - linked compiled code
obj - unlinked compiled code
map - linking information

if i am right (probably slightly off) is it true that the obj and map files are
irrelevant once the exe is created?

In article <b07mie$24ee$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...

paul stanton wrote:
[...]

next sibling parent reply Paul Stanton <Paul_member pathlink.com> writes:
oh, another couple of questions....
how do i use the link command (tried and failed)
why when i compile the wc.d and wc2.d examples, dont i need to compile file.d in
the same call?